Do I need to Drop the Oil Pan to Remove the Rear Seal?

cayman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Even though it doesn't mention it in the manual, do I have to drop the oil pan to remove the crank shaft rear oil seal? I know I have to drop the tranny, and remove the clutch and flywheel. I've had the oil pan off a couple of times but never paid attention to what the rear pan bolts went up in to. Diagram show this seal pressed in to a "U" shaped housing that is bolted to the crank case and has an oil seal retainer gasket. But the bottom half of this housing has no bolts. I have an oil leak back there somewhere and its either this seal, that housing gasket or a crank case oil plug.

Viper Wizard

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes the oil pan is coming off! Don't bother changing the seal without changing the "U" shaped gasket!! If it's leaking back there, more then likely it is the gasket. If you'd like, give me a call I may be able to give some tips, I've done many and also I have all the parts you'll need in stock. :cool:

Chuck
914-763-3136

Viper World

OP
OP
C

cayman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks Chuck! I'll do just that. If I decide to tear in to this thing, I'll hook up with you for the parts. I already have one of those Luk clutch kits off of Ebay coming since I plan on changing out the clutch in the process. Those seem to be the cat's meow here on the forum.

I guess I needed to look further in the manual. It does say to "remove bolts attaching seal retainer to cylinder block and oil pan". My memory is bad. I had to have noticed that the last time I had the pan off. I gotta lay off the *** & cokes when I'm working on this thing.

I've had the clutch inspection cover off and can't tell if the leak is coming from the inside of the bellhousing. That's the only bad thing about keeping your oil changed regularly. New oil is damn near transparent! Would trying out that oil leak detector and black light trick be a waste of time?

-FROG-

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Chuck! I'll do just that. If I decide to tear in to this thing, I'll hook up with you for the parts. I already have one of those Luk clutch kits off of Ebay coming since I plan on changing out the clutch in the process. Those seem to be the cat's meow here on the forum.

I guess I needed to look further in the manual. It does say to "remove bolts attaching seal retainer to cylinder block and oil pan". My memory is bad. I had to have noticed that the last time I had the pan off. I gotta lay off the *** & cokes when I'm working on this thing.

I've had the clutch inspection cover off and can't tell if the leak is coming from the inside of the bellhousing. That's the only bad thing about keeping your oil changed regularly. New oil is damn near transparent! Would trying out that oil leak detector and black light trick be a waste of time?

Chuck is a good guy and has been a big help with me when I needed parts. He said you need to drop the oil pan, but I think I told you I didn't drop mine in a PM. I have done rear mains in multiple cars, so I may be wrong, but I almost swear I did my Gen 1 rear main and didn't drop my oil pan.... Maybe I'm wrong, so just scope it out real good and use your best judgement. Chuck is better at Vipers than me obviousely, so I hope I don't lead you astray if you know what I mean.

About the leak detector (in my opinion)... I would say pull the tranny and attack the problem head on like you have planned. The leak detector may be more of a pain in the butt in the long run and run you in circles trying to find the problem. HOWEVER... you mentioned, your engine oil is very new / clear... so, look in your clutch fluid resoivoir and see if it's dark (usually it's dark / dirty looking), then you can probably decifer if the oil leaking is clear or dark, it is motor oil, or clutch oil....

Tom Sessions

Enthusiast
Reaction score
While your in there look at the block plugs on either side of the cam. I have seen these leak oil before.They can look like a rear seal leak.Might be a good idea to pull them and add a little sealer to them while your there.And dont forget loctite to help seal the flywheel bolts as they go all the way through the crank into the crankcase.

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here is another issue - I thought I had a rear seal leak when I was changing the flywheel. I found that the flywheel bolts were leaking. The oil was migrating thru the threads.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
userSRTbro_