Do you find people don't even know SRT-10 Vipers exist?

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Blame it on Daimler... they didnt want to advertise that an American car can blow the doors off their entire lineup at the time when they "merged" with Chrysler. Since then, barely an ad and no racing efforts.

The new guys on top are supposed to change that... we'll see.

InjectTheVenom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Blame it on Daimler... they didnt want to advertise that an American car can blow the doors off their entire lineup at the time when they "merged" with Chrysler. Since then, barely an ad and no racing efforts.

The new guys on top are supposed to change that... we'll see.

I've got THE slogan for them: "Revenge: best served at 7:22" :headbang:

09 Venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Extremely disappointing..I was at a car meet with actual car enthusiasts and I can't tell you how many thought the Viper was
discontinued...said indeed

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I guess in this economy Chrysler has ALOT BIGGER things to worry about than extremely limited production single purpose sports cars and the above transends right down to the dealers.(No dealer wants to floorplan units in this catagory right now )

SlateEd

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I stopped in to a small Dodge dealer in CT a few months ago just to see a VOI X in person - The salesman who approached me clearly didn't even know what he was selling, and when I told him that I already own one and it's a convertible he was surprised that a 'vert was an option. Nonetheless, while I walked around it and drooled for a while several people stopped in to look at it and they ended up sticking around to see what else was in the showroom. I think Dodge has missed a huge marketing opportunity for their other products - if more attention was paid to the connection between "Viper" and the rest of the dodge lineup they might not be part owned by Fiat right now...
... consider Porsche selling tons of re-badged VW Tourags as a "performance SUV" thanks to the reputation that the 911 has afforded the brand... no question an SRT Jeep would smoke a Porsche Cayenne anytime, but who would think Chrysler for high-performance unless they're already an SRT person???

The SRT-10 is certainly less well known than the original and I'm glad that we're fanatic enough to keep CAAP open a few more years anyway!

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I stopped in to a small Dodge dealer in CT a few months ago just to see a VOI X in person - The salesman who approached me clearly didn't even know what he was selling, and when I told him that I already own one and it's a convertible he was surprised that a 'vert was an option. Nonetheless, while I walked around it and drooled for a while several people stopped in to look at it and they ended up sticking around to see what else was in the showroom. I think Dodge has missed a huge marketing opportunity for their other products - if more attention was paid to the connection between "Viper" and the rest of the dodge lineup they might not be part owned by Fiat right now...
... consider Porsche selling tons of re-badged VW Tourags as a "performance SUV" thanks to the reputation that the 911 has afforded the brand... no question an SRT Jeep would smoke a Porsche Cayenne anytime, but who would think Chrysler for high-performance unless they're already an SRT person???

The SRT-10 is certainly less well known than the original and I'm glad that we're fanatic enough to keep CAAP open a few more years anyway!
THE above has been the same since the car first came out in 92 as a ton of the dealers simply are not of the Viper mentality in any way shape or form

Coloviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Commercials are for sheep! The car should sell on it's own laurels. That includes racing, looks and heritage. I think the car is just that little bit too expensive for most people new. I mean for those that are really stretching their funds at $70K to buy a Hi-Po car (like a ZO6), justification at $95K is just not there.

Lower the price slightly, modernize it a bit more and the numbers will get up there.

It is a double edged sword, as us Viper owners don't want big ownership numbers, but then again, it looks like the car must sell in bigger numbers to survive in the end.

As far as people thinking the Viper is dead. A lot of that has to do with the dead rumors circulating the Viper line since 06'. As far as people looking at my SRT-10 and not knowing it is a Viper, it has come up twice in the 3 years I have owned it. Mainly non-car people who would have no way of knowing what it was anyway.

Car Salesmen......95% of them are so brain dead on the actual products they sell, that they should be concentrating of getting their GED instead. It is very pathetic. One knowledgeable performance auto salesman can outsell 9 other flunkie salesmen.

In my mind, the heritage is NOT played up enough in the performance industry. The Viper is full of mysticism and a bit of an enigma to most.

Cop Magnet

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Advertising works. Plain and simple. While Dodge may have bigger fish to fry than worrying about a limited-edition sportscar, it ALREADY exists. The marketing of it is a no-brainer. And if you think advertising the flagship is only about selling the flagship, you don't understand marketing at all. It's just as SlateEd says, people get their attention drawn by the Viper, and stay to buy something else.

NHL2133

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Car Salesmen......95% of them are so brain dead on the actual products they sell, that they should be concentrating of getting their GED instead. It is very pathetic. One knowledgeable performance auto salesman can outsell 9 other flunkie salesmen.
I wish that were 100% true, if it were I'd still be selling cars and making a killing. At the last dealership I worked for all the other sales people (and new car manager) paid me to pass their certification tests for them, yet I was never at the top of the sales board at the end of the month. It's rarely about how well you know your product, it's just about how well you can sell it. That's why you get the morons who don't know how their products AWD system works selling 20+ cars a month.

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Advertising works. Plain and simple. While Dodge may have bigger fish to fry than worrying about a limited-edition sportscar, it ALREADY exists. The marketing of it is a no-brainer. And if you think advertising the flagship is only about selling the flagship, you don't understand marketing at all. It's just as SlateEd says, people get their attention drawn by the Viper, and stay to buy something else.
Years ago (the car was a NEW ENTITY yes definately the Viper drew customers into the showroom to buy other Dodge products)TODAY in this economy to put advertising dollars into a dated generation (been around since 2003)i dont know .You have to realize Dodges marketing research reveals WHERE they should focus advertising dollars to.

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Commercials are for sheep! The car should sell on it's own laurels. That includes racing, looks and heritage. I think the car is just that little bit too expensive for most people new. I mean for those that are really stretching their funds at $70K to buy a Hi-Po car (like a ZO6), justification at $95K is just not there.

Lower the price slightly, modernize it a bit more and the numbers will get up there.

It is a double edged sword, as us Viper owners don't want big ownership numbers, but then again, it looks like the car must sell in bigger numbers to survive in the end.

As far as people thinking the Viper is dead. A lot of that has to do with the dead rumors circulating the Viper line since 06'. As far as people looking at my SRT-10 and not knowing it is a Viper, it has come up twice in the 3 years I have owned it. Mainly non-car people who would have no way of knowing what it was anyway.

In my mind, the heritage is NOT played up enough in the performance industry. The Viper is full of mysticism and a bit of an enigma to most.
Exactly money is so tight today that people just dont have it to spend on a TOY (those that do would rather buy a used car with low mileage a year or so old and save 15-20 grand )

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Blame it on Daimler...

I blame it on all the naysayers who have been saying, "next year will be the last year" for the past 15 years. Heck, in 2003 the posers were saying the Viper was already dead because the SRT wasn't as pretty as the GTS. That type of rhetoric resonates throughout the non-car crowd.

Well, look for a 20-year anniversary edition Viper in about two years.

Last edited:

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Commercials are for sheep! The car should sell on it's own laurels. That includes racing, looks and heritage.

+1. As much as I love a good Viper commercial I'd rather that expense go into racing sponsorships and performance enhancements. A real sportscar doesn't need commercials.

Dads Toy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I absolutely love the Viper and always hurt my neck turning to see one when they rarely show up in KC. I think part of the problem or what makes them so exclusive is that you almost never see one. I have lived in KC since 1986 and can count on two hands the number of times I have seen one on the road. I have been to several car shows and seen some there but they are so rare, people almost never see them.

I know there is a KC chapter, maybe they don't come to the northland when I get a chance to go for a ride.

Cop Magnet

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Years ago (the car was a NEW ENTITY yes definately the Viper drew customers into the showroom to buy other Dodge products)TODAY in this economy to put advertising dollars into a dated generation (been around since 2003)i dont know .You have to realize Dodges marketing research reveals WHERE they should focus advertising dollars to.

Somehow I would trust the Dodge marketing guru's more if they weren't part of a machine that brought Chrysler to the brink of bankruptcy.

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Maybe if the economy improves and there is a fifth generation Dodge may choose to feature it again -who knows.

Cop Magnet

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Maybe if the economy improves and there is a fifth generation Dodge may choose to feature it again -who knows.

Um, they were ignoring the Viper for years before the economy turned.
In fact, I blame them for the finiancial crisis in America!

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
+1. As much as I love a good Viper commercial I'd rather that expense go into racing sponsorships and performance enhancements. A real sportscar doesn't need commercials.

It needs commercials if there is no racing sponsorship... to have neither is just asking for obsolescence... which is what will happen if they keep the status quo.

Nothing like another 3-peat to sell more cars.

AviP

Enthusiast
Reaction score

IMHO, the Viper has lost it's charm after the Gen 2 era because of it's mediocre looks. I drove by a black 06 in a used car lot and it barely registered as a Viper. :dunno: And as to a Jeep SRT-8 v/s Cayenne comparo, the SRT-8 felt way too plastic compared to even a low end Cayenne. If there is one thing the Germans do well, it's great finishing and options. It would be great to see factory options for interior CF, aluminum and leather packages in the Viper. :2tu: And I'm not talking stick on decals. :lmao: Oh yeah, and if Fiat/Ferrari could lend some body designers for a month, we'd have the Gen V of my dreams.:drive:

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
IMHO, the Viper has lost it's charm after the Gen 2 era because of it's mediocre looks. I drove by a black 06 in a used car lot and it barely registered as a Viper. :dunno: And as to a Jeep SRT-8 v/s Cayenne comparo, the SRT-8 felt way too plastic compared to even a low end Cayenne. If there is one thing the Germans do well, it's great finishing and options. It would be great to see factory options for interior CF, aluminum and leather packages in the Viper. :2tu: And I'm not talking stick on decals. :lmao: Oh yeah, and if Fiat/Ferrari could lend some body designers for a month, we'd have the Gen V of my dreams.:drive:
In my opinion the car definately lost some GAWK factory between Gen 2-3

Cop Magnet

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ps also the sticker price rose almost 30 grand 96 Gen to coupe to 08 Gen 4 coupe.

You're getting 50% more HP now than in '96, so that's about right--not even considering all the other technology in the car.
I also noticed that I used to get a hot dog, fries, and drink for 2.99 back in '96. Now it's like 7.99.
Guess that's Chrysler's fault too???

V

Venomiss

I absolutely love the Viper and always hurt my neck turning to see one when they rarely show up in KC. I think part of the problem or what makes them so exclusive is that you almost never see one. I have lived in KC since 1986 and can count on two hands the number of times I have seen one on the road. I have been to several car shows and seen some there but they are so rare, people almost never see them.

I know there is a KC chapter, maybe they don't come to the northland when I get a chance to go for a ride.

From a few weekends ago in Belton. More people at that show than I ever remember thanks to the wonderful weather. Thanks to Early93 for the awesome video!

KC Viper Club BBQ and Belton Car show - Car Videos on StreetFire

Dads Toy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing. Belton is on the far side of north KC. I am up by the Airport. Still look everyday for one of you on the street. have a nice day.

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Being an ex-marketing guy, I will say that the very limited production of a Viper makes it a product that consumers will seek out. This is not a mass-market car, where demand has to be created by commercials and big marketing budgets.

For me, I like both Gen I/II and the III/IV's...each with its own appeal. While, IMO, the Gen III & IV's are not as uniquely styled, they bring a higher level of comfort, power and sophistication....and, they brought back SIDE PIPES!.:D

My opinion of anyone who doesn't know Vipers are made anymore, is that they are just not car people. Almost anyone who is into cars, will know they are made and what they look like. I've seen articles here and there on Vipers, but they are stories more than anything else.

And....I bought my Viper for MY enjoyment (Gen II) and I don't care if anyone knows what it is....the key is that I know what it is and how much fun it is to own. I'm just happy Chrysler had the vision and determination to actually build this car!:headbang:

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
And, one more thing, when we attended the Marcus Dairy show a few weeks ago which had almost every brand of hot car new and old, I would say almost everyone stopped and stared at our area...a lineup of 24 Vipers both generations, verts and coupes. Among the right audience, it is still one of THE cars to own...period!

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You're getting 50% more HP now than in '96, so that's about right--not even considering all the other technology in the car.
I also noticed that I used to get a hot dog, fries, and drink for 2.99 back in '96. Now it's like 7.99.
Guess that's Chrysler's fault too???
The problem is in TODAYS economy a 90 GRAND SINGLE PURPOSE car thats very dated (going on 7 years between retrofits )is a extrememly tough sell(I know dealers floorplanning 08s going on 2 years ).Anyone looking to buy one would rather by a used low mileage car and save 20 GRAND. I paid a little over 60 k for my new 96 Gts .At the time there was NOTHING LIKE IT (looks or performance wise )

Cop Magnet

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why do you continue to link the VIper with the economy?
The Viper is what it is and the economy is what it is.
They offered rebates, dealer pricing, and God knows what else to move cars in a bad economy. It ***** for everyone and everything right now. Stop blaming Dodge for everything.
Glad you bought your '96 for 60, but using your argument, you could have bought something used for less. So what? There's always something better, and something cheaper. The Viper is still a deal relative to other exotics.

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why do you continue to link the VIper with the economy?
The Viper is what it is and the economy is what it is.
They offered rebates, dealer pricing, and God knows what else to move cars in a bad economy. It ***** for everyone and everything right now. Stop blaming Dodge for everything.
Glad you bought your '96 for 60, but using your argument, you could have bought something used for less. So what? There's always something better, and something cheaper. The Viper is still a deal relative to other exotics.
EVERYTHING is the economy .In 1996 there were no money woes.As far as rebates ,dealer pricing ectit doesnt matter people are not buying VERY FEW have 80 grand plus for a toy or luxury item be it a Viper or anything else (ALL high eng ,luxury items are getting effected big time .A buddy of mine is GM at the largest MB Dealer in the country they are taling 50 grand off sticker for SL 63s and they still cant move them )