Do you guys (or gals) refuse to go catless because of emissions ??

FLYNLO

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was just wondering why a lot of people choose not to go catless. Is it because of emissions testing? Are you worried that you wouldn't be able to pass? Also, what are the disadvantages of going catless vs. running the high flow cats aside from the check engine light?
thanks guys

SRTRICKY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
catless supposedly smells pretty bad too...emissions is probably why most people leave the cats in or go with high flow cats...thats why I did it!
ricky

wormdoggy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
catless supposedly smells pretty bad too...emissions is probably why most people leave the cats in or go with high flow cats...thats why I did it!
ricky

Absolutely..............no cats= poor emissions= no pass = no license renewal = can't drive my Viper. I would prefer high flow cats!!

Cheers

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
You've never lived, until you get smog tested in Kalifornia!

Vintage Racer

Viper Owner
Reaction score
When I bought my viper I had to have it smogged tested since Hamilton County OH is considered to be a "smog area". Interestingly, they couldn't put a sniffer on it and run it on the dyno, so they just hooked into the OBD system and read that. I forgot to ask the kids at the Emission Inspection Station why they couldn't dyno the car since they were all hovering around it peppering me with questions.

BTW, the best part was when they explained to me that one of the would have to drive the car out of the test bay and deliver it to me on the other side of the building.

FLOORIN04

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What the helll is emissons? :D Pa is still partly emmission free at least on my side of the street. :p :p If i lived 5 ft across the street it would be a problem. :2tu:

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
FLYNLO,

Very stinky without cats. I tried it. Made my eyes water. Wife didn't want to ride in car. Would be easier with rear exhaust.

High flows work pretty well. Don't know how long they'll last with a Paxton. No check engine light if tuner knows what he's doing.

OP
OP
F

FLYNLO

Enthusiast
Reaction score
FLYNLO,

Very stinky without cats. I tried it. Made my eyes water. Wife didn't want to ride in car. Would be easier with rear exhaust.

High flows work pretty well. Don't know how long they'll last with a Paxton. No check engine light if tuner knows what he's doing.

Stinks really bad? Is this with the top up or down? Now you're making me think...I know a few guys who are not running cats in their SRT...but never heard of the really bad smell problem :laugh: Is it really that intolerable?

acrdakota

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You've never lived, until you get smog tested in Kalifornia!

Isn't that the truth. My ride is setup for the best of both worlds. Had the exhaust flanged and test pipes made. When testing time comes around it's only a matter of bolting the cats in place, changing some plugs to bypass the standalone, and swaping out the 42# injectors for some 21's. Can't rev it over 3k but she will pass, then it's back to high HP goodness. Total time is probably an hour each way.

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
These cars already run rich and it is not a big benefit to remove the cats. If you like the smell of raw fuel and unburned gases gopher it, otherwise it is not pleasant when in traffic and da chicks don't dig it!!!

Viperfreak2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What about just removing the secondary cats? Does that smell, or are they there just for an extra squeaky clean feeling?

Snakester

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Adding high flow cats gets you most of the power gain of running catless, but without having to worry about smog.
Plus for me they lowered the side sill temps quite a bit over stock. :2tu:

Tico

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Adding high flow cats gets you most of the power gain of running catless, but without having to worry about smog. Plus for me they lowered the side sill temps quite a bit over stock. :2tu:

Which is more effective at reducing sill temps? High flow cats or eliminating the crossover assembly?

I want to go with the Corsa Track exhaust but was planning on keeping the stock cats.

Thanks.

Andy 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No reason to keep the stock cats, the honeycomb is huge compared to aftermarket cats. I don't even know how air got through them.

Snakester

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Adding high flow cats gets you most of the power gain of running catless, but without having to worry about smog. Plus for me they lowered the side sill temps quite a bit over stock. :2tu:

Which is more effective at reducing sill temps? High flow cats or eliminating the crossover assembly?

I want to go with the Corsa Track exhaust but was planning on keeping the stock cats.

Thanks.

It's a trade-off. Certainly removing the whole exhaust system and using straght pipes would likely give the car more power and provide a cooler interior as well. But being able to meet ever-harsher smog tests, and gain some power, while being cooler running than stock is a nice compromise to me. :laugh:

Timmmay

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I cant speak for the other states but here in IL I have been going catless (actually running straight out the headers) for six years. All I have to do is Fax a couple pics to the Emmissions office that shows that my car is setup for Race use (which its not) and im exempt. Couldn't be easier. :)

YouWish

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a GTS and am catless. The smell you get use too. Bill is right some chicks complain about the smell in that case I just role up the windows and turn the a/c on. Mostly though they are just thrilled to be riding in a Viper and don't complain.

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
FLYNLO,

Just put the high flows in. You won't regret it. Catless it very smelly as I said, expecially sitting in traffic on a warm day with the top down.

Dan

DSR207

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Quote:

FLYNLO,

Just put the high flows in. You won't regret it. Catless it very smelly as I said, expecially sitting in traffic on a warm day with the top down.

Dan

:2tu: :2tu:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang