Do you use power polisher tools?

FLATOUT

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I guess the flex rob is kind another step towards a rotary machine but I still think it's pretty tough to do damage with. I think a beginner could get started with both.

01 RT SNAKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I graduated from the Porter Cable to the Flex XC3401VRG. The Flex is a MUCH nicer machine and does all the work in less time. It is more expensive but I'm quite happy with it.

Watch this video and see for yourself...

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FfwbVzsphzs[/media]

Junkman2008

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I guess the flex rob is kind another step towards a rotary machine but I still think it's pretty tough to do damage with. I think a beginner could get started with both.

I totally disagree. It can be very easy to do damage with the Flex, especially since it has forced rotation that CANNOT be bogged down. To suggest that a total novice take on a machine like this with no training is just irresponsible.

I would love to see anyone who thinks that a Flex for a novice is a good idea to volunteer their Viper for that novice to practice on. :eater:

I graduated from the Porter Cable to the Flex XC3401VRG. The Flex is a MUCH nicer machine and does all the work in less time. It is more expensive but I'm quite happy with it.

There is no question that the Flex is a more powerful machine when compared to a PC. However, that video does not address the danger of the Flex. For a novice, safe is the key, not powerful. Just as you don't learn how to race on a alcohol fuel dragster, you don't learn how to buff with a polisher that can quickly get out of control.

01 RT SNAKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There is no question that the Flex is a more powerful machine when compared to a PC. However, that video does not address the danger of the Flex. For a novice, safe is the key, not powerful. Just as you don't learn how to race on a alcohol fuel dragster, you don't learn how to buff with a polisher that can quickly get out of control.

I never said that Flex was for the novice detailer. In fact, I clearly stated that I graduated from one to another. I also own the Dewalt DW849 circular polisher and I wouldn't put that in the hands of a novice either! The Porter Cable is a good beginning polisher for anyone and still yields great results.

wikkid

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I bought the Griots machine and there polish. It is unreal what you can accomplish with a machine. Im not ready for the full rotary, but the orbital is awesome for me. Made the car look fantastic.

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looking to use the Griots system on my '01 soon. The car will be 10 years old next year so I figured that would be a nice way to celebrate it's 10th birthday!! Was the Griots system really easy to use?
I bought the Griots machine and there polish. It is unreal what you can accomplish with a machine. Im not ready for the full rotary, but the orbital is awesome for me. Made the car look fantastic.

Junkman2008

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I never said that Flex was for the novice detailer. In fact, I clearly stated that I graduated from one to another. I also own the Dewalt DW849 circular polisher and I wouldn't put that in the hands of a novice either! The Porter Cable is a good beginning polisher for anyone and still yields great results.

I agree with you there.

TrackAire

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I totally disagree. It can be very easy to do damage with the Flex, especially since it has forced rotation that CANNOT be bogged down. To suggest that a total novice take on a machine like this with no training is just irresponsible.

I would love to see anyone who thinks that a Flex for a novice is a good idea to volunteer their Viper for that novice to practice on. :eater:

Junkman,

In watching that video, it appears that substantial paint correction was needed. My question to you is this, were they using the right pad for the job? Video listed a "polishing" pad in the specs...shouldn't something a little more aggressive been used with the PC? I'm not familiar with the white pads and their aggressiveness that were shown in the video.

Let me know your thoughts.

Cheers,
George

01 RT SNAKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
George,

Check out this website and you can learn a lot about pads/polishes/compounds and how to remove swirl marks, etc...

Pads Compared & Explained w/Printable Charts

The white pads are general polishing pad with a little cutting power. I use yellow and/or orange pads to get out heavy swirls. You also have to determine which polish you are going to use. You always use the least aggressive pad/polish to get the job done.

I'm a Menzerna and 3M user. I've had excellent results with their products.

GViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I use the polisher from Griots garage.
It seems to work rather well for me.
Anyone else have this one?

Junkman2008

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Junkman,

In watching that video, it appears that substantial paint correction was needed. My question to you is this, were they using the right pad for the job? Video listed a "polishing" pad in the specs...shouldn't something a little more aggressive been used with the PC? I'm not familiar with the white pads and their aggressiveness that were shown in the video.

Let me know your thoughts.

Cheers,
George

The terms used a lot of times are not necessarily fluid from manufacturer to manufacturer. Although I would use the term "polishing pad" to indicate a last step pad when doing paint correction, technically you are polishing the paint when doing the first steps of paint correction. So they can call a heavy cutting pad a polishing pad but they must call all of their cutting pads (regardless of the cut), a polishing pad to remain consistent.

Now I like you would agree that the PC is going to need a much more aggressive pad than a standard white pad. However, you don't know the agenda of the video maker which could have been to make the PC look bad. There's no way to really know unless you are the individual who made the video.

George,

Check out this website and you can learn a lot about pads/polishes/compounds and how to remove swirl marks, etc...

Pads Compared & Explained w/Printable Charts

The white pads are general polishing pad with a little cutting power. I use yellow and/or orange pads to get out heavy swirls. You also have to determine which polish you are going to use. You always use the least aggressive pad/polish to get the job done.

I'm a Menzerna and 3M user. I've had excellent results with their products.

All pad manufactures don't follow that chart so it is only good for the manufacturers that are listed on it.

01 RT SNAKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
All pad manufactures don't follow that chart so it is only good for the manufacturers that are listed on it.

Very true. For all we know the white pad by that manufacturer could be their most aggressive pad?? Anyway, he should get the idea that pads are color coded based on their use.

I think the video was trying to show (hopfully) that using the exact same type pad and using the same polish will yield better results with the Flex. But you are right, we don't know if the video maker works for Flex or has an agenda against PC.

Junkman2008

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A good detailer will not limit himself to one polisher. A good detailer will realize that a variety of polishers will allow him the flexibility to deal with all types of paint issues and situations. The 800lbs gorilla is not always the best choice.

It's like the Viper. It is more than capable of getting you from point A to point B. You can carry groceries in it and even a passenger. But you don't want to limit yourself by using it as a daily driver when you live in upstate New York with no other car to choose from. Come winter time, your lack of flexibility will catch up with you and leave you stranded at home. Thus, a Viper owner will most likely have more than 1 car. Even if you live in South Florida, it can rain cats and dogs and who wants to drive their Viper in that crap!

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I just ordered a Flex today, should be here tommorow.
Graduated from the PC 7424...:)
Have some dealer installed swirls in my paint on the new car...not for long.

thompsonracing

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The Flex will definitely do a better job on swirls compared to the PC. But don't throw out your PC to get a Flex. They go hand in hand. Like AJ said, there's a different tool for each job. You have more than just a flat-head screwdriver in your toolbox.

BTW, I have both Flex and the PC in stock. And I'll throw some free stuff in!

Junkman2008

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can't stress enough how both polishers compliment each other. Look at it from the perspective of being a cop. A cop has a few weapons at his disposal. The gun is his most lethal and is pretty much guaranteed to eliminate a threat, but it is not always the best choice for every situation. You don't shoot a unarmed man for jaywalking and you don't use hand to hand combat on a subject who is shooting at you with a AK-47 on full auto.

Once your paint has been fully corrected, you should never have to get aggressive with it again. If you are constantly removing swirls then you are constantly removing clear coat and your process when touching the paint needs to be addressed. You don't fix your paint and then swirl it all up again. That's crazy!

Any good detailer will have a arsenal of polishers to choose from. Like Eric said, there is no one tool for everything. Thus, you want to start with the least intrusive tool that will address the damage you have and escalate if necessary. Like I said before, you only have so much clear coat on your car and you only want to remove the least amount as possible to get your paint perfect.

After that, quit doing the things that damaged your paint to begin with!

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Flex is a fantastic machine. I spent a few hours on Saturday going over my new graphite ACR with it. My car had a lot of dealer installed swirls and blemishes nothing majot but at the right angle very noticable. I used some Pinnacle swirl remover and it took out all the swirls and smudges in short order, much faster and more effectively than the PC.

The PC is a great tool also and I have one as well but this is quite a bit faster and will get out deeper imperfections.

One other issue I have is a small patch of scratches in the windshield itself. Very odd but noticable from the inside looking into the sun. It's about the size of my thumb and is a series of scratches that you can feel with a fingernail. Is it possible to buff out glass scratches? Anyone have any experience working with glass imperfections?

Bugs the crap out of me on a new car but not bad enough to replace windshield.

thompsonracing

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Start by cleaning your glass with glass cleaner and claybar, using the GC as lubricant for the clay.

I've polished glass before. Did it with the Adam's focus pads and S&H. Be careful not to stay in one spot as the glass will heat up quickly.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rmoore8950