Dodge/Hurst Shifter height

CEJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm thinking about replacing the shifter in my 2001 RT/10, and I like the height of the OEM shifter. I guess that puts me in a minority. :)

For you Vipers folks that have installed the Dodge/Hurst shift lever: What is the height of your Hurst shift lever (measuring from the console to the top of the shift knob with tranny in neutral). Many thanks.

OP
OP
C

CEJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks, I remember that thread and the photos you posted of your Hurst shifter. I could go a little shorter than stock, but would prefer not to lose more than an inch.

steve911

Enthusiast
Reaction score
On my Gen 3, the shifter is about 2 1/4 inches shorter. On the later model Hurst shifters with the big threads, 1/2 vs 3/8's, the thread pitch is the same as the stock shift knob. If you are handy, shorten and rethread your stock one to the length you need. I did that on mine to accomodate my wife when she drives the car. when I drive it, it gets changed back to stock Hurst height.

Steve A.

OP
OP
C

CEJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Steve, that's an interesting thought.

Height aside, what is your opinion of the Hurst shifter's performance vs. the OEM unit?

steve911

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Steve, that's an interesting thought.

Height aside, what is your opinion of the Hurst shifter's performance vs. the OEM unit?

I have the B&M in my '04 vert and the Hurst in my '06 coupe. The Hurst hands down has the B&M and OEM beat by a mile.

Or, to confuse things even more, there are shift knobs out there that are taller than a typical ball. The knob is more ofa vertical cylinder of sorts. I have seen them on race cars. maybe that might be your salvation.

Steve A.

Mutts02GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
+1 on what Steve said! I have the Hurst on my 02GTS and the original shifter is a bucket of slop compared to the Hurst, with my forearm resting on the center console the shifter ball just rises slightly above my first knuckle. Install it, you'll be ever so happy you did!. Jeff

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For you Vipers folks that have installed the Dodge/Hurst shift lever: What is the height of your Hurst shift lever (measuring from the console to the top of the shift knob with tranny in neutral). Many thanks.

I don't have mine installed; but I made a measurement of it comparing to a stock shifter that I have on the bench also. The end of the Hurst that the knob threads on to is 1 & 1/4" farther from the trans mounting plane than the stock shifter in what I guessed is neutral position. i.e., 1 1/4" taller than the stock shifter assembly NOT including that tall stock knob with its integral shaft. Hurst shifter part # 391 5055 for 1992-2002 Viper on the box. If you want a photo, I can post that. I took some when I removed it last year.

OP
OP
C

CEJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have the B&M in my '04 vert and the Hurst in my '06 coupe. The Hurst hands down has the B&M and OEM beat by a mile.

Or, to confuse things even more, there are shift knobs out there that are taller than a typical ball. The knob is more ofa vertical cylinder of sorts. I have seen them on race cars. maybe that might be your salvation.

Steve A.

Thanks Steve. I've seen the shift knob you described, and that could work.

OP
OP
C

CEJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
+1 on what Steve said! I have the Hurst on my 02GTS and the original shifter is a bucket of slop compared to the Hurst, with my forearm resting on the center console the shifter ball just rises slightly above my first knuckle. Install it, you'll be ever so happy you did!. Jeff

Good to hear you like the Hurst. Your description of the installed shifter height helps too, thanks!

OP
OP
C

CEJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't have mine installed; but I made a measurement of it comparing to a stock shifter that I have on the bench also. The end of the Hurst that the knob threads on to is 1 & 1/4" farther from the trans mounting plane than the stock shifter in what I guessed is neutral position. i.e., 1 1/4" taller than the stock shifter assembly NOT including that tall stock knob with its integral shaft. Hurst shifter part # 391 5055 for 1992-2002 Viper on the box. If you want a photo, I can post that. I took some when I removed it last year.

Thanks Jim, I appreciate the measurements. No need for a photo as FatBoy posted some about 4-5 months ago. Curious, but why did you remove the Hurst?

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Jim, I appreciate the measurements. No need for a photo as FatBoy posted some about 4-5 months ago. Curious, but why did you remove the Hurst?

I was still having uncertainty when shifting on the track (road course) even after the Hurst install. I did like the Hurst much better than the stock shifter; and because it was highly recommended, that's why I chose it. After a couple of years I decided to spend some bucks and try the B&M to see if it was better in my application. I would say that I did not see a significant difference; so, I am probably now just dealing with the idiosyncrasies of the T56 transmission; plus, my own shifting technique? ( However, I do think that I have a good shifting technique by now. ) I did the Woodhouse trans and engine mounts also. I don't miss shifts; but, I still have once in a while (once a weekend?) on the track where I am not quite sure what gear its in when I am about to let out the clutch, so, I go back to neutral and re-select my gear instead of taking the chance. I did change one of the springs in the B&M to get it to better move itself away from 1st-2nd position.

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

CEJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
...I did like the Hurst much better than the stock shifter; and because it was highly recommended, that's why I chose it. After a couple of years I decided to spend some bucks and try the B&M to see if it was better in my application. I would say that I did not see a significant difference; so, I am probably now just dealing with the idiosyncrasies of the T56 transmission...

I'm glad you mentioned the Woodhouse mounts too...that is also on my list. Sounds like the Hurst will do nicely, and if I want the knob to be OEM height I'll get the machine shop to whip up an extension. Interesting too to hear about your B&M experience. Thanks.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960