Dodge Viper Slammed by Gen-Y & DC Engineer!

YellowSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dodge Viper Slammed by Gen Y & DC Engineer!

QUOTE: During an 18-year career with Chrysler, Hannemann was the developmental engineer on the Dodge Viper, one of the GT's main competitors. One of Hannemann's problems with the Viper is that it never turned the heads of young women. Not so with the GT -- a modern interpretation of the original 1965 Ford GT40 race car. "I love it," said 22-year-old Detroit real-estate agent Cinta Corbin. "The car is appealing and has a lot of power. It would turn my head." Nicole Burdiss, a 15-year-old ninth-grader at Canton High School called it "cooler than a Viper." "The GT looks more old school," she said. "And it's less obnoxious than a Ferrari." Hannemann, whose jaw was clenched as he watched the panelists zip around the parking lot in the GT for an hour, seemed to visibly relax. "I always said the Viper is a cartoon," he told Burdiss. "The GT is a car."

http://www.detnews.com/2003/autosinsider/0304/25/b01-146654.htm

Wild Bill

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Opinions are like as*holes, everybody has one and they all stink.

Bill
("a Viper doesn't turn young womens heads" I wonder if he ever drove a Viper to school to pick up his kid?)

Rich Detert

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You always have to read who's making the statements.

Ford engineers and designers let their own children critique the GT Thursday as part of national Take Your Kids To Work Day.

Do you really think the children of Ford's employee's are going to knock a product made and designed by their parents?
I really doubt it...
Yeah right, their opinions aren't biased. :rolleyes:

Torquemonster

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good point!

Besides - how many 15 year old girls will be buying Vipers? ...or GT40's? Pretty lame argument comment isn't it? He's probably got a chip on his shoulder or a sense of humor.

MR VENOM

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's great....what was the opinion of the 12 & 15 year olds on the driving and handling experience of the Ford GT vs the Viper? Oops, forgot..THEY DON'T KNOW HOW TO DRIVE! Let's see, when I was 12 I wanted a 1956 Pontiac, but now that I relate costs to looks, handling, resale, etc., I passed on the Pontiac as most probably will, in the future, on the GT. Sure, there will be a market for those cars, and who knows, maybe something about the GT will stir the "passion" in me as the Viper does. However, as of now, the car is not real. Neither are the names Cinta and Lavell.

pdmracing

Enthusiast
Reaction score
thats funny, when I first bought my gts it was the little girls in my subdivision that would run after the car, much more car crazy than the boys the same age(pre teen)

Miles B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When was the last time you heard a 15 year old girl say a car looks "old school"?

And no wonder it looks "old school" - hello, the design IS old! Not that I don't like it, I love it. But the Viper is way way better, and turns way way more heads.

cstegall

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Personally, I can't wait for the Ford GT to hit the streets so I can blow it's overpriced doors off!

Okay DDog...
What's our priority??? Lambo's first...Ford GT second??? Let me know so I can plan our victory parade thru Highland Park/North Dallas afterward :D

CStegall

DEVILDOG

VCA Member North TX
Reaction score
Personally, I can't wait for the Ford GT to hit the streets so I can blow it's overpriced doors off!

Okay DDog...
What's our priority??? Lambo's first...Ford GT second??? Let me know so I can plan our victory parade thru Highland Park/North Dallas afterward :D

CStegall

Clark,
We can go Lambo hunting now so let's dispense with them first. Got your DLM back yet? We have our next monthly VCA meeting this coming Saturday the 10th...would be nice to see you there! :D

cstegall

Enthusiast
Reaction score
DDog,

DLM is still with Doug(he took some time out for the V-10 Nationals this weekend). I will try to make it this Saturday... :)

CStegall

Guyver1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Like dblankenbaker and Russ Oasis said...

I'd much rather go for the "scares women and children" part :D

Also, being that I'm FROM Generation Y, I can safely say that Vipers are actually extremely popular. It seems that everyone I know, (whether they live, breathe, and drive performance cars) knows what a Viper is, and absolutely drools when they see one.

That's coming from people who will be prospective buyers in 5-10 years.

VIPERnXr4ti

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i drive a 94 Mustang GT and im a pretty big Ford guy, but this sound slike total propaganda on Ford's part....the thing about the girls not liking the Viper, and will like the Ford GT more i think is BS....most girls my age(Im 17) love the looks of the Viper....but hate cars designed along the lines of the Ford GT, Lamborghini's etc...most girls think they have to many sharp lines....they love the rounded look of the Gen I and II Vipers...but most ive shown pics too also like the Gen III SRT as well....there is something about Vipers...and no other car has it...

Viperzilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
VipernXr4ti- This is in no way a bash on you or your findings. I'm just trying to add my findings to your post. I have noticed with fellow female friends and classmates in high school that it's pretty much split half and half about the looks of the Gen I/II Viper. I'm always surprised by this.

For Ford (and I am a Ford guy) to ask an age range from 12-16 is ludicrous. How much do these kids know about cars? As well as history (racing and past cars) of them, as the Ford GT is selling off of. I can say I was the most knowledgable in cars in my middle school (I knew I didn't know everything though) and one of the most in high school. But I seriously doubt these kids could care half as much as I did for automobiles. I would be astonished for a car manufacturing company to ask me when I was 12-14 about car designs. Astonished meaning "are they out of their freakin minds because they SHOULD NOT ask a 14 year old?". I may understand them asking a 17-25 year olds, as we have a factor on all population on what is slated as being "cool". But I believe they should have to pass a basic car test for the company to take input from them. Otherwise they're going through a stupid, useless way of "testing" the style of cars.

Bonkers

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
12-14y Girls love the GT40 because it reminds them of their old Barbie Corvettes without the pink interior.

Besides which the opinion of a 14y doesn't interest me in the least, its the opinions of the slightly buzzed >18ys walking around Dewey Beach this summer that I'm interested in.

FrankBarba

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If is true, then why would Neal Hannaman give up his time to impress school girls to offer Private Driving Instruction with the Viper Racing League / or Challange Series? Guess its the MONEY

2snakes4us

Enthusiast
Reaction score
("a Viper doesn't turn young womens heads" I wonder if he ever drove a Viper to school to pick up his kid?)[/QUOTE said:
I have picked up my 15 yr old daughter at the high school and every kid stops and stares as i come into the parking lot till we leave.
Kids love the viper!:headbang:

viper GTS-R

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dodge Viper Slammed by Gen Y & DC Engineer!

Ok lets break down this paragraph into small pieces...
QUOTE: During an 18-year career with Chrysler, Hannemann was the developmental engineer on the Dodge Viper, one of the GT's main competitors. One of Hannemann's problems with the Viper is that it never turned the heads of young women.
Ok, then this dood is def one of them garage queen types since he's obviously never taken a viper to the streets. Either that or he lives in a corn field.

Not so with the GT -- a modern interpretation of the original 1965 Ford GT40 race car. "I love it," said 22-year-old Detroit real-estate agent Cinta Corbin.
Ok ok, to be fair there really isn't a argument there except with "Not so with the GT", Cinta (*** kinda name is Cinta) is expressing her feelings about the GT.

"The car is appealing and has a lot of power. It would turn my head."
Yes it is, it's very appealing and does have lots of power...you can't turn your head though it's in a neck brace.

Nicole Burdiss, a 15-year-old ninth-grader at Canton High School called it "cooler than a Viper."
Wait, You know some of them GT owners old guys? Let's put her in a CC with Herb against the F16 and win. I forgot to mention the viper has won MULTIPULE races dominating for several years in LeMans. It took the GT how long to beat Ferrari? Is Ford having probablems selling GT inventory? How YOUNG are the women Mr. Hananananeneanman looking at? Is the GT the first children's supercar?

"The GT looks more old school," she said.
Ok at this point I have every reason to believe your stuck in the 80's....Jeez like come on, at least I was born in the 80's I never used the term "old school" in my life.

"And it's less obnoxious than a Ferrari."
Put straight pipes on a 360 and it'll make you cry then..

Hannemann, whose jaw was clenched as he watched the panelists zip around the parking lot in the GT for an hour, seemed to visibly relax. "I always said the Viper is a cartoon," he told Burdiss. "The GT is a car."
Of course the viper is a cartoon drawn on paper, guess you were fired before you saw the real deal. Good to see you know the difference between a car and a hotweel.

.......... --RS

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Neil Hannemann wasn't so much following the money to get to the FGT as much as he was seeking out new challenges in bringing specialy sports cars to market. He started with the Eagle Talon, moved to Team Viper for the Gen1 RT/10, then to the GTS-R development program, next to Saleen for the S7 and then to Ford for the GT project.

Great guy. Fine race car driver/developer.

Qualitywires.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
What a bunch of sorry ass crap.

The Viper turns more heads that the FGT in my experience. FGT are nice, but they don't have the in your face kind of appeal. I had a FGT for a day and people thought it was nice, but didn't get the grins like the Viper did.

klamathpro

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The Ford GT will continue to look old school in 20 years, while the Viper will always be timeless.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang