Does anybody know???

trymyz

Viper Owner
Reaction score
If the mass air meters on the gen 4 with compensate for a dry shot of nitrous. Thanks.

OP
OP
T

trymyz

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I've ran a dry shot on several mass air metered cars with great success. It's easier to let the computer adjust timing and fuel. I'm just new to the gen 4 viper. I had a gen 3 with a wet shot but I had to do the tuning. Thanks for your input Plum.

Mopar Steve

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The mass air flow sensor is NOT what will help. The O2 sensors will detect a lean condition running a dry shot and richen the fuel mixture appropriately. DO NOT GO MORE THAN A 50 DRY SHOT. and like Plumcrazy said even that is a bad idea.

OP
OP
T

trymyz

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Well Steve, I know for a fact that you can run up to a 150 dry shot into an airbox of another brand of car safely. In the other car the mass air meter senses the colder more dense charge of air and the computer compensates timing and fuel. I'm just wondering if one of the tuners on the sight could tell me if the gen 4 can do the same since it has mass air meters now. Thanks.

OP
OP
T

trymyz

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks plum, I have done several searches and found the same threads. I thought somebody might have tried it by now. I definately check with some of those guys.

Mopar Steve

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well Steve, I know for a fact that you can run up to a 150 dry shot into an airbox of another brand of car safely. In the other car the mass air meter senses the colder more dense charge of air and the computer compensates timing and fuel. I'm just wondering if one of the tuners on the sight could tell me if the gen 4 can do the same since it has mass air meters now. Thanks.

Ok, you win, go ahead, why not go for a 200 shot? This is something I have no experience with. Except for my '94 Viper and this old Dodge Dart:

You must be registered for see images

Be sure to post pictures of yours when you are done. By the way, 150 into the airbox is NOT the right way to spray it. The correct way is into the hoses in front of the throttle body.

Don't forget those pictures..........:rolaugh:

OP
OP
T

trymyz

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Steve, I'm not trying to win. No one guy knows everything that is why I'm asking. I've also had experience with nitrous, blowers, etc. Do a little research and you'll see on the ls1 cars can take a dry shot into the airbox. The mass air meters handle the change. Thanks for your input.

Mopar Steve

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Steve, I'm not trying to win. No one guy knows everything that is why I'm asking. I've also had experience with nitrous, blowers, etc. Do a little research and you'll see on the ls1 cars can take a dry shot into the airbox. The mass air meters handle the change. Thanks for your input.

Yes, I have done the research, and while I don't know everything, I know this. A dry shot anything more than a 50 shot is a bad idea. Can you get away with it? Yep, for a while, but it will break/burn up parts. The stock injectors can't keep up with that much Nitrous without leaning out. Do people do it anyway? Sure. Is it a good idea? Nope. I wasn't going to bring up my Vette but since you brought up Vettes....., this is my other car on Nitrous: Trust me, don't do dry.

This is me sleeping at the tree! DOH!!!!

Bottles in the trunk:

Controls in the dash:

You asked, and it seems like you don't like the answer. Sorry :dunno:

PS I have since sold this car. So no hate on the Vette guy! ;)

Good luck with your car.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i assume that and totally agree but was seriously wondering if there was another reason i couldnt think of as to why...

if you have a gen4 viper and cant afford the difference in cost from a dry to wet shot.....YOU should be shot. LOL

OP
OP
T

trymyz

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I do have a wet kit that I had on my gen 3. Believe me it is not the money. Just the hassle of tuning. I do my own work and don't just write checks. It's not that I don't like the answer just wondering if the gen 4 worked the same as the ls1 cars. Just seems like I am getting opinions and not answers. Thanks anyway and have a Merry Christmas.

Jerome Sparich

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I do have a wet kit that I had on my gen 3. Believe me it is not the money. Just the hassle of tuning. I do my own work and don't just write checks. It's not that I don't like the answer just wondering if the gen 4 worked the same as the ls1 cars. Just seems like I am getting opinions and not answers. Thanks anyway and have a Merry Christmas.

You asked,
If the mass air meters on the gen 4 with compensate for a dry shot of nitrous. Thanks.

Then I later asked,
"The Gen 4 has a MAF sensor?"

Maybe you should answer this question first.

BTW, I already know the answer.

Do you mean MAF? MAP sensor? What?

OP
OP
T

trymyz

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Well when I looked up the part number on those little things on the air tubes, they came back as mass air meter. I know the older hens have air temp and map sensor. So what's the answer?

fqberful

Enthusiast
Reaction score
All Vipers are speed density systems. They DO NOT have MAF's ...

Use a balanced wet shot and you'll be fine. Trying to cheap it here will cause a meltdown literally.

--FQB

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
All Vipers are speed density systems. They DO NOT have MAF's ...

Use a balanced wet shot and you'll be fine. Trying to cheap it here will cause a meltdown literally.

--FQB

The Gen-4 does indeed have BOTH MAP and Dual MAF. It is a hybrid speed-density and mass-airflow type arrangemnent that utilizes both systems to more closely narrow its target AFR throughout the rev-range in order to burn as clean as possible.

To answer the earlier question: No, a Gen-4 will not respond correctly to nitrous according to just about every single report on the subject I have gotten. While I personally will not deal with Nitrous systems, the consensus [and it makes sense to me] is that the Venom Controller will sense the Torque Shift from the application of nitrous, and will illuminate the MIL and put the car into limp mode. I can understand exactly why the system would do so, so I have no reason to doubt that it is correct.

OP
OP
T

trymyz

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks Dan, are you guys using the sct to tune the gen 4's?

Last edited:

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Thanks Dan, are you guys using the sct to tune the gen 4's?

There is no SCT, nor any other method currently to flash Gen-4 computers. Other than the Mopar computer, its complete replacement [Pectel/Motec] or nothing.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang