Does anybody out there have CDI Headers?

Tom Welch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Its not typical for me to give factual competitive stats here on this forum as all of us tuners need to make money, but If you want to see a real world comparison of two very similiar Vipers, one with Belangers and one with CDI Headers-NEW Corsa Cat-back, give me a call or email for the dyno results.

Feel free to contact Larry M., or Gary Lashinsky, or Byron Stewart as they were also present as the owners of the prospective vehicles.

In short, the Belangers of my customer, Mr. Stewart outperformed the competitive product. Both cars were 2001 GTS's with within 100 total miles of each other. Both were ran catless on the same dyno, back to back.

I will say that the Edelbrock header is well known as the distant last place finisher of ANY Viper header on the market. They are 50 state legal, which is a good selling feature for them and they will produce a few hp over stock manifolds.

Take care,

Tom
Http://btrviper.com

LTHL VPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We have tested just about every header and exhaust combination available in the market on our in-house dynojet.

The 2 we prefer are the Belangers and CDI headers. They seem to make the best power and fit well for most year Vipers. I used the Belangers on my 98 GTS and the CDI headers on the LETHAL 650 2001 ACR. Our testing has shown the 2 headers to be comparable on a relatively stock engine. As a result, we use the Belanger for this setup as the installation is easier and they cost less. On more modified engines (heads, cam ,etc..), our initial testing has found the CDI headers to have a slight edge so we use them. However, the differences are not drastic. If someone owns the Belanger headers, keep them; I would never recommend that you swap them out for the others. There are also noticeable differences between Viper years and other mods can effect the numbers as well. We usually keep both systems in stock.

Since we always use the same car for testing and try to keep the conditions as consistent as possible (outside temp, humidity, water temp, etc..), we feel comfortable with our results.

We have around 50 Vipers in our database, so if someone wants info and results about modifications, we are happy to help.
Thanks.
-Wayne (LTHL VPR)

SEASNAKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For those dogging the Edelbrock Headers - my 94 picked up .2-.3 in the quarter + 2-3 mph with these headers. I barely even picked up .1 and 1 mph with 1.7 rockers. Maybe every setup is a little different, but they worked great for my Gen 1.

I also experienced the 30 hp guarantee from Belanger Header salesmen + "they scavenge so well they don't even get hot". I'm not saying that they are not good headers - I'm sure they are, but everybody has the best header as long as they are selling it.

TOOOFST

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dave,Were doing some dyno work next week,and Norm with his new Belangers will be there(94 R/T).Your welcome to join in or just check out his dyno sheet.Lot of facts posted,one more is resale.HP for $ the less expensive might be the way.I've got Belangers and like them for Fabrication quality and fit.

Anthony - 98 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If your looking for a great deal on headers. Archer Racing is selling a set on E-bay.

Archer Racing quote, "These headers only have 150 miles on them. They are swain tech ceramic coated. Buyer pays shipping."

Looks like a great deal at $1,500.00.

SNKBYT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am running Edelbrock headers, Hi-flo cats, Borla exhaust, K@N airbox( modified with BTR Tubes) on a 97 gts. I dynoed at 450.3 rwhp and 491.1 torque. If these headers are the last place finishers on the market only making a couple of horses over stock, I will purchase any header that will produce at least 25 horsepower more with the exact same setup that I am running now. Only change will be the headers. Does anybody have a money back guarantee that they can/will produce more than 25hp. If they don't, seller must pay for headers and installation. This should be easy challenge for all of the header vendors to back up their claims. ANY Takers?

RoyV101621

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Would someone post a link to Dan Cragins responce.
I'm so tied of reading header posts about, "The headers I installed are the best..." Of course they are. They are the best for you, your appliction, your use.

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The headers that make more power at lower rpms will only benefit those who tend to street drive a lot and use the 1000-4000 rpm range.

If you're at the drag strip - you want headers that make power and torque between 3500-6000 rpm (that is - the rpm extremes between shifts). The only time you're below that is off the line and that's *usually* traction-limited anyway.

The same thing goes for the road course. If you spend much time below 3500 rpm in the corners, a good driver with a well sorted suspension is going to be taking away your apex and passing you by track-out.

Buy headers that are sized to make broad power where you need it and quit worrying about who has the best peak numbers.

AZVIPERS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have the CDI headers and am very happy with them. I also did the Borla exhaust cat back the same time. They sound good to me. I have heard them all. It's all preference when it comes to sound and what other upgrades you are planning on doing.

415 rwhp before Headers and Exhaust
455 rwhp after 3 tests in 100 degree weather

Gary Lashinsky

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We tested Byron Stewart's 2001 GTS with a Belanger header and exhaust system on Vinci Performance's chasis dyno against my 2001 GTS with CDI headers, Corsa (catless) exhaust as well as changing out to the Borla exhaust on my car. I had the K & N air box with smooth tubes, Byro had K & N filters on the stock box with smooth tubes. Both Vipers were dynoed on the same day in similar conditions. Both were in 1 to 2 HP of each other as well as touque at the rear wheels. Byron's car was a made the higher numbers. 437 HP vs. 436HP. Not really much difference at all.

Gary Lashinsky

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The CDI Headers with the Corsa catless system did not sound as good as the Borla system after we reinstalled it. Borla has a much stronger sound throughout the power band. I will say that the Corsa system was quiet in the car versus Borla. You could actually hold a conversation and hear the radio. Borla has a bold sound. I prefer it!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
potterb4