Does anyone here use the A/C?

Reaction score
confused.gif

King GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Unfortunately Jason he's probably not. I bought a 97 when they 1st came out & I had the same problems but a lot worse! It's an overheating issue! Mine was so bad I had to sell it! I couldn't go to work or drive it in this Texas heat w/ no A/C. The car would just always overheat! I always reccomend that new buyers test drive 1st! Find some traffic & sit in it a while. Watch the temp gague, A/C....etc

EDIT...do a search on overheating. Tons of info! I'm actually having similar problems with my 2001 but doesn't seem to be as bad as the 97 was. My Viper tech just changed my water pump, got the 180 t-stat, better radiator, etc...etc....etc...

Still the best car on the planet! Good luck & if I can help, E-mail me.
smile.gif

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
You should use the search feature of this board, because overheating has been disscussed to death.

ie:
Check your water pump (2001)
Power flush the system, refil with correct ratio
Ask JonB at Parts Rack how to "burp" it, or your local Viper tech. Search "burping".
Change your thermostat
Water Wetter?
Fans working properly?

Too much lubricant, (in proportion to the refrigerant), in the A/C system can bind up the compressor. How bad does the engine shake when you turn on the A/C? If it starts shaking bad immediately, or squealing the belt, then someone has added too much lubricant when the A/C was re-charged. (Don't ask me how I know that!)
emb.gif

If the engine doesn't shake like its under an unusual load when the compressor starts, then the problem is NOT because the A/C is putting too much load on the motor. Not that that would make it overheat anyway, but it could contribute to overheating.

Doug Levin has been doing some research or something, and hopefully will have something to offer on this board.

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
You rat!
laugh.gif

I'm so jealous! That really is beautiful. Someday in the not-too-distant future, I'll put a blower on mine.

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by AlexRedSnake:
Mine goes right to 225 when I put the AC on in most situations when its very hot out. Is this normal?? Granted this is when I have the top off in the RT10 and the AC is trying its hardest to reach my face

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Alex- The top being up or down has nothing to do with it. There is only two states of load on the engine, compressor on (cycling), or compressor off. The engine is none the wiser if you are ******* the cold air out into the desert sky. That will only keep the compressor on longer, but that happens often anyway.

Say, does anyone see something common in these posts- ie: It overheats when I run the air?

Here is something to consider- The average big American A/C compressor ***** up like 12 horsepower, just to turn it over.
I wonder if some compressors are binding, bearings, or compression elements, and sucking up more HP than they should? It could be a signifigant draw on the engine, like towing a big boat uphill. But a constant load that large might make the serpentine belt squeal, no? Anybody?

King GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Vic Rough:
You rat!
laugh.gif

I'm so jealous! That really is beautiful. Someday in the not-too-distant future, I'll put a blower on mine.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Take Care Buddy!
laugh.gif

King GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Vic Rough:
You rat!
laugh.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Take Care Buddy!
laugh.gif

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Dear "riotac",

I think your paint is broken.

When I move my head, it does not change color.

signed, dumbazz

BYT U L8R

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Now you guys got me worried if my temp gauge is working. I have this open, uphill road, sweeping turns that lets me do 145 all the way up...I have the AC on full blast, it's summer and I still haven't seen past 225 on the guage!?

Lucky me I guess.

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Luis, I live in FL heat and don't really have a problem with the car overheating...... Sometimes, it runs a little hot, but as soon as I get going it cools right back down.

My 1st GUESS is that you need to evacuate ALL the air out of the system. Burping alone doesn't get rid of ALL the air. I would recommend getting one of those small Prestone flush valves and put on the high side of the heater in the passenger toe box under the hood. You would be suprised how a little air bubble can effect your engine temp!!!
2nd, make sure your engine fan is coming on at BOTH speeds. Your low speed might be out or your high speed might be out. Without either, you'll overheat quickly using A/C in the heat.
An easy way to cool your engine down quckly in an emergency is to turn your heat on and blast it in the car. The core acts as a 2nd radiator and will take that temp down quick.

These are just things that have helped me. I've also got a Supercharger putting out nearly 900 at the motor, a INTERCOOLER in front of my radiator and a can of 40 BELOW (any auto parts store has this) in the system and an approx mix of 50/50 glycol / water mixture.. I've also had my fan wired so I do NOT have a low speed. Just high speed. And I have it activate at the low speed temp throught the high speed temp.
You also stated your car was a 1997. I would HIGHLY recommend upgrading your fan to late 1998 specs. It will make a HUGE difference. it's a bolt in application and will take about 20 minutes and a ratchet set. You can get them from your dealer, PartsRack or Chuck Tator..
In normal out of city driving, my temp will be between 185 and 200. In city it will be a little warmer, from 210 to 225 or so. But I have never overheated.

Hope that helped..

Gerald

Daffy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
FWIW,

I use my AC on 90 degree plus days and haven't had any overheat problems, so I don't if I'm lucky or what.

Dave.

Robert Dyck

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think there is something wrong. I live in South Florida and have had my 97 GTS for four years now. The car has never overheated with the AC on. The fan seems to kick in early and brings the temp down.

Not sure, but is the fan supposed to activate differently when the AC is on?

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 3DViper:
the engine got really hot
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

How hot is "really hot?" Does it go into the red? If not, how close does it get?

Don Hiltz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have to second what Robert said. My '94's A/C works great, even on hot days here in Alabama. When I'm stopped at a light, the fan comes on almost as soon as the temperature begins to rise and the needle almost immediately begins to drop. I've never had the gauge register even into the yellow area on 95-100 degree days.

Don Hiltz

grayman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My 00 GTS runs with AC quite often. Even in 95 deg heat, temp rarely goes over 190 unless Im stopped idleing for more than 5 min., when it will creep up over 200 or so. But mostly stays about 190 rock solid no matter what. Guess Im lucky.

Greg W

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I my '94 RT/10 I use the A/C switch all the time to actually drop the engine temp. The only quick way to have the fan come on in my '94 is to activate the A/C. Strange, but when the engine temp. starts rising I flip on the A/C (and heater)and the temp drops to the 200 range quickly. No question that it's the immediately action of the fan that brings down the temp.
Another Viper quirk I guess.

Greg

Jim Sullivan

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I too live in Florida and have no trouble with the air conditioning or overheating. But I also have the new fan and I burp it once a month. I installed a vacuum reservoir in-line so the cold air keeps blowing even at 3/4 throttle.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang