Does anyone think we are in for a suprise with the HP rating for the coupe?

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've heard things from those in the know...

Anyone else get that feeling?? Bump to 550 and underrated at that number? :2tu:

G

MoparMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The only thing I've heard is that the coupe will have the same HP for the first year of production then get a (big) bump. However, if they're monitoring the forums at all, DCX knows that they really have to give a jump in HP with the new coupe.

Hisserman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I guess it could happen. After all, Ford upped the hp on the GT from their originally announced number. Maybe DCX wanted Chevy to commit on their Z06 first and then be able to top them. We'll see . . . :)

Bob K

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It wouldn't make sense to release the new coupe with the same numbers as the current SRT/10 and then bump up the horse power the next year. As a potential new coupe owner I would feel betrayed if they were to do that.
History indicates that they will bump the power with the coupe debut just as they did in '96 (fingers crossed).

Snakester

Enthusiast
Reaction score
After the LA auto show and magazine press releases stating 500HP, I'd guess that they could silently add more power, but I'd be surprised if DC changed the power rating now.

Seeing that the SRT-10 Viper is already underrated at 525-530HP so adding 25HP would be simple.

It would be only smart to have the Viper rated at 550HP, and have even more to keep the Viper ahead of the Corvette, and get closer to the Ford GT.

But I'm guessing the D/C will be stretching this out, and the power boost will probably not come for another year, with an upcoming ACR model.

Hisserman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You mean like holding a raffle for special edition yellow cars and then selling yellow the next model year . . . DCX treats their loyal customers in strange ways sometimes!

Actually, my hope is that they announce boost right before release (that's what Ford did -- after seeing the car reviews where the SRT-10 was whipping their original motor).

SteveT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"Does anyone think we are in for a suprise with the HP rating for the coupe?"

Only those that are expecting an increase will be suprised....

I will take one with the 500hp and be happy to get it!

05 Yellow SRT10
03 Red SRT (gone)
02 Graphite GTS (gone)
97 Red GTS (gone)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Our other cars: 2005 SL65 Pewter / 2005 G55 Graphite / 2005 SSR Silver / 2004 Gallardo Yellow / 2004 NSX Black / 2004 Z06 Machine Silver / 2004 H2 White / 2002 Candy Red Prowler + 2001 Orange Prowler + 2001 Silver Prowler / 2002 35th Anniversary Camaro SS Convertible / 1970 Black Chevy SWB Pick up / 1969 Garnet Red Camaro SS 350 / 1969 Chevelle SS 396 / 1969 Impala SS 427 / 1968 Chevy Step Side Truck L98/700r4 / 1967 Hugger Orange Camaro 400 / 1955 Yellow Chevrolet Truck / 1934 Ford Sedan / 1930 Ford Hiboy Coupe 302 5spd

Reaction score
To change the HP requires federal re-certification. That is not practical for one year. In 2007 new emissions standards will require re-certification. That is likely when a HP gain will occur. The reality is that the performance cars are getting to the point that the cars are to fast for public sale. But I do want more power less weight better brakes better handling better tires.

CHAD

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think it is too late for the standard coupe but in an upcoming ACR model, more power is almost a given.

STUGOTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Does anyone think we are in for a suprise with the HP rating for the co

I've heard things from those in the know...

Anyone else get that feeling?? Bump to 550 and underrated at that number? :2tu:

G

I have heard from people in the know as well however I have heard 600hp.

I have heard that the motor tha is being tested currently is the 2005 motor from the SRT/10 and NOT the motor that will be released in the new coupe.

Most of the mags are calling it the SRT/10 coupe so what the hell do they know.

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
To change the HP requires federal re-certification.

I assume you me to change the HP that is official stated would require such, but not simply is they re-engineered it and didn't try to change the official HP designation?

Ghetto2315

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Most of the mags are calling it the SRT/10 coupe so what the hell do they know.

In this months Motor Trend, they actually called the new coupe a "GTS"

Its labeled at the top of the cover page "340-HP CHARGER & 500-HP VIPER GTS"

Is there going to be a name change along with a HP bump?

SRTRICKY

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I'd be mad if I was a F/E GTS owner and they named the new coupe a GTS again!

STUGOTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I'd be mad if I was a F/E GTS owner and they named the new coupe a GTS again!

hell yeah I would too.

Nsane1

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I've heard from those in the know that they are changing nothing in the powertrain. I want to be wrong, but my sources say due to getting certification of a new powerplant, and all those costs that they are changing the aestetics only. The don't have to go through EPA, etc supposedly if they don't change that stuff.

Man I hope I'm wrong. 550 hp has a very good chance of keeping me in vipers, and we know it can be done.

SnakeEye

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Man I hope I'm wrong. 550 hp has a very good chance of keeping me in vipers, and we know it can be done. -Nsane1

So presumably you do respect the SRT-10 platform and dig the new coupe's styling. If for some reason the new beast does come out just shy of the hp number you're looking for why not seek help form Paxton or Roe? For the ~10% dollar premium you'll have FIVE times more added power than what you are currently hoping will come from DC. That's 750hp, sounds good huh. Just an idea to consider rather than jumping ship and seeing your shadow soon on every corner.

Andy 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I'm about 90% sure the power will stay the same...but not 100 :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Axial32