Does the MGW First Strike Race Knob......

rgifford

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I want to shorten up my shifting but have heard that putting in the ripper is sometime more work than it is worth. So, does the MGW shifter shorten up the throw enough or is the B&M Ripper needed to get a relly short shift.

MGW owners:

1. What is the shift distance for a 1-2 shift with the first strike?

2. What is the shift distance for a 1-2 shift with the gripper?

3. What is the shift distance for a 1-2 shift with the first strike and ripper or SVSI?

4. What is the shift distance for a 1-2 shift with the gripper and ripper or SVSI?

Thanks

Robert

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi Robert:

I've got the MGW shifter too. Never bothered to measure but you will surely notice the new throw differences. I'd say it's got to be a reduction of 25%-30% in the shift throw distances. I'm sure others to follow will post them with perfect precision.

Only 2 minor negatives IMHO. The shift to reverse, on occasion when the gear mesh is not synchronous (despite prior pre-shifting into first) can be a bit difficult to "snap" due to the fact that you have a bit less torgue with the shortened height of the shifter. I'd also like to shorten the shift boot to better fit the new lowered height. Probably only noticable to me, but after conversion there's a little extra fabric (vinyl?).

Overall it takes 20 shifts to get used to, then the old knob height feels like its better suited for a tractor.

MES

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>
1. What is the shift distance for a 1-2 shift with the first strike?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The shift difference between 1-2 is 3 1/2" measured from the middle of the shift knob. Also I could have lowered the knob another 1/2" or so if I wanted to, but it seemed too short. Just buy the First Strike shifter and try it out, it's really nice and cheap as well.

VIPERESS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by CitySnake:

Overall it takes 20 shifts to get used to, then the old knob height feels like its better suited for a tractor.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That is too funny...and so true!!!
laugh.gif

I have the MGW shifter, makes a significant difference in the throw. The first Strike is extremely comfortable in the hand as well. I don't know if they still make the other one, but that one the handle used to get hot, I had that on my 98. The handle on the First Strike does not heat up. I think you will be pleased with it if you purchase it. MGW makes very high quality products.
Laura
devil.gif
BURNOUT.gif

SoCal Craig

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Me too!!! I have the First Strike knob and love it. The quality is excellent and the price very reasonable. Plus it was easy to install. I thought of getting a B&M (I have one on my Porsche) but Bill P. told me all I need is the MGW knob and he was right
smile.gif

VIPR GTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
ROBERT, I JUST INSTALLED ONE OF RICK DETERT'S 3" SHAFTS IN
MY 2001 SAPPHIRE GTS. EASY INSTALLATION AND A REALLY COMFORTABLE
HEIGHT. $25 DOLLARS AND USE YOUR NICE LOOKING STOCK SHIFT KNOB WWW.RICKDETERT.COM FOR ALL OF THE INFO. YOU DONT EVEN PAY TILL
AFTER YOU RECEIVE IT
TONY