Does the sports bar offer substantial protection in a rollover?

riverflyer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mendocino, on the lovely North coast of California
I have seen pics of Mroadsters resting on top of the factory roll hoops after a rollover and wonder if the Viper sports bar would support the car also. I know without cross bracing it would not withstand a sliding situation but at slower speeds will it hold up?

Viperfreak2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There's a sticker that says something like 'not a rollover protection device'. I even heard the SRT-10 has nothing substantial under the roll hoops.

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've seen pics of a rollover and it looked like the sports bar did the job.

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nope just as ViperFreak2 wrote they do not offer any protection. I guess you can say that it is better than nothing but it really was not built to do anything except hold up the hard top.

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've seen "sports bars" with their plastic removed. It is indeed a very solid structural member, of steel. That said no one is going to guarantee any "safety" aspects of this hoop. For a street car, I believe it is a very solid structure, however it is limited in it's protection due to it's height. For a race car, a reinforcement would be in order.

S

Stang7900

I've been to that sports bar Jason, and after that I was rolled by some blonde, does that count?