Does the Viper have to have a V10?

FikseGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Would you buy a Viper Coupe if they put the AMG Twin-Turbo 6.0L V12 Engine with 604HP and 738TQ in?

[pollstart]
[polltitle=V10 vs Twin-Turbo V12]
[polloption=V10 forever]
[polloption=V12 Twin-Turbo]
[pollstop]

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't know... When Ford stopped using "5.0" on their mustangs, people were up in arms. Now, no one seems to care. I would prefer a V-10, but won't hold DC to it. At this point ANYTHING is better than the effort they are putting out now.

The sad truth is probably that DC wants the Viper gone. For a company so obsessed about their German heritage, they sure don't care much about their American heritage part of the equation.

FLYNLO

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't know... When Ford stopped using "5.0" on their mustangs, people were up in arms. Now, no one seems to care. I would prefer a V-10, but won't hold DC to it. At this point ANYTHING is better than the effort they are putting out now.

The sad truth is probably that DC wants the Viper gone. For a company so obsessed about their German heritage, they sure don't care much about their American heritage part of the equation.

As much as I would like a re-worked version of the Viper..it truly doesn't bother me that much to see a 550-600 hp version anytime soon. DC left LOTS of leg room for more hp, and it is as easy as installing and tuning a paxton on a stock motor. With good tuning 775-800 hp is very easy. As we all know, most people do not leave Vipers stock. I don't see a problem either way.

OP
OP
F

FikseGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
guess the poll option doesn't work here, even though the system shows the code available for them... :)

Most would think the existing motor could be worked up to 550-600+ HP easily.. If it's that easy, why hasn't it been done? They increased the displacement to get the extra 50HP between the gen II and gen III motors... and there hasn't been a power increase for a while, going on 4 years now, while letting the Viper get trumped by the Z06...

I'm sure the Twin-Turbo V-12 isn't feasable, it probably costs almost as much as the Viper... :) but the technology, research and production is already done....

a supercharged V-10 Viper from the factory does sound nice though... :)

vipah

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Give me the power anyday.

They can get that engine up to 700+ hp very easily.

This is the Z06 killer if they do it.

Why keep the old truck motor when we can have a real supercar motor very easily.

:headbang: :headbang: :eek:

That ought to get things moving on this thread.

vipah

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does the Viper need to be overweight too?

Come on guys.

Viper should be synonymous with extreme style and performance for the money. This was always the case in the past, but now it is lost on both fronts.

Hisserman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree that the V10 is the soul of the Viper. But they do have some ME-412 engines laying around unused . . . !!

Guyver1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ideally? I'd prefer to see a smarter V10 engine.

Something considerably lighter using high-tech materials.

As it stands, the main weight-sink in the Viper vs. most other cars "is" the engine.

DC needs to take a long, hard look at the LS-series of engines from GM. A lightweight, high horsepower output engine is the way to go. If you keep lumping displacement onto an engine, you reach a point of diminishing returns.

Also, a balance has to be reached if the car is ever to go racing. The old 8-liter engine was excellent for its original purpose. the 8.3 is pushing it. Anything bigger is practically un-needed. You want something reliable, but you don't want something that's heavily overbuilt for its purpose. Like I said, equilibrium.

Another thing, perhaps a 72-degree V10? It would certainly make the car sound considerably better. Ever heard a JUDD engine?

STORMCAT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The viper V 10 has been critisized for it's sound. V 12's sound awesome!!! I'm sure the turbo v 12 would be way to heavy so lets concentrait on a 600 hp lighter V 10. Can you say Magnisium or Titainium..

malcoll

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The viper V 10 has been critisized for it's sound. V 12's sound awesome!!! I'm sure the turbo v 12 would be way to heavy so lets concentrait on a 600 hp lighter V 10. Can you say Magnisium or Titainium..

I can say AND spell Magnesium or Titanium.

And of course the V-10 has to stay... does a bear....... well you know the rest.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Also, a balance has to be reached if the car is ever to go racing. The old 8-liter engine was excellent for its original purpose. the 8.3 is pushing it. Anything bigger is practically un-needed. You want something reliable, but you don't want something that's heavily overbuilt for its purpose. Like I said, equilibrium.

Isn't the GenII 8L and the SRT 8.3L the same block, just bored over? If so, the "heavily overbuilt" block didn't seem to hurt Oreca.

There may indeed be diminishing returns to huge cubes, but 500cid seems to work just fine. It's kept GM eating dust for 14 years.

Gimme a big cube low rev motor anyday. I'll leave the high-winders to the kiddies.

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
JUST GIVE ME THE POWER !! SCREW TRADITION !!

TRADITION KEPT THE PORSCHE 911 AIR COOLED way too long, WHEN WATER COOLED WAS THE WAY TO GO.

TRADITION HAS KEPT THE 911 REAR ENGINE, WHEN MIDENGINE IS THE WAY TO GO !!

ok, no more caps.. but you get the point !@

BLUESNAKE367

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A lot of Viper guys forget the V-10 version we have had since 1991 was not built by Dodge(there goes the truck V-10 thought) fact is, it was built for Dodge by our Italian friends at Lambo...

So yeah outside the millions paid by DC to get this engine working, a Viper should be a V-10 no question, anything less would be exactly that..

my 2c

Fast Freddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
the original testing for the protoype viper engine was done with a 360 V8. they quickly realized that they didn't have enough power so they bored and stroked the 360 to a 390 and added two more cylinders thus creating the 488 cubic inch V-10. the 1st two V-10 engines were iron blocks with iron heads. lamborghini was contracted to create the aluminum blocks and the rest is histroy.

a viper without a V-10 is a snake with no fangs or venom in my opinion. the viper is more than just a cool looking car. its engine is a V-10 and that is what makes it bad to the bone.