does the viper hold alot of water underneath after being washed?

Darth Menace

Enthusiast
Reaction score
hey guys I was just wondering about the viper and holding water after i washed it. Yesterday I washed it, and there were water spots on the ground here and there (after the main water had dried), so I assumed it was just dripping in certain spots. Anyways, about 24 hours later, i go out to the garage and there is a wet spot. Now I am a tad worried...it might just be me or is my car randomly leaking something, or is it just the water still dripping out in spots from the wash the day before. I'm just wanting to be sure, and maybe this is a tad OCD, but that's life.

I dont know what else it would randomly be as yesterday's inspection said it was tip top shape, but it seems odd that water would still be dripping

OP
OP
D

Darth Menace

Enthusiast
Reaction score
hahah, ya but it"s the 24 hours after i washed it and its wet on the ground that scares me. Youd think all the excess water sitting underneath would have dipped off or dried by then. I did a sniff test and it smells like cement, not oil or antifreeze. Just never had this with a car before, and it worries me. is this normal

GTLaser

Enthusiast
Reaction score
After washing open your doors, I find that water gets trapped in them and also tilt the mirrors out. Water also gets trapped inside the rims if not driven or dried with a blower.

Last edited:

ViperJames

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Water can get inside the side sills as well so don't be alarmed if you get smoke from that section either thats definitely a good possibility.

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I washed my car (GEN II) yesterday and I am still getting water in places today. The joys of Viper ownership. Wear it like a badge of honor. As GTLaser mentioned...open her up after you rinse her off. :)

georgethedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's why I have always washed one panel at a time with 3 buckets (soap, clear water & rinse water) and then I dry it before moving to the next panel. The car gets clean without getting soaking wet. I must be nuts... Ok, before Big-n-Italian gets on here and confirms it, yes I am...

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, the doors, sidesills, and many other nooks&crannys hold water after a wash. It is a PITA and one of the few reasons that I am a fan of the waterless wash.

E_tar

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Be a man!
Dip your finger in the wet spot and then smell it? No smell ? Ok, taste it..If it doesn't taste like oil, windshield wiper fluid, coolant, brake fluid or tranny fluid, then I'm guessing you're ok and it's just plain ol H2O
:rolaugh:

ViperJames

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, the doors, sidesills, and many other nooks&crannys hold water after a wash. It is a PITA and one of the few reasons that I am a fan of the waterless wash.
Dom426h you hit the nail on the head. I have owned my current viper for more than 2 years and washed it 1 time when i first got it. Since then its waterless wash, LOTs of wax, and details spray on the regular.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Get a nice strong electric leaf blower and finish it up with that.

Fatboy 18

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I guess it all depends on HOW MUCH water you use to wash the car! I use around I bucket (but several water changes) I don't saturate the car just rinse out a sponge and carefully wipe down my baby :D If you get water under the hood it pools in the upper front wheel arches also if you soak the front screen there is a water catch tray just under the plastic cowl and water will pool under the car ;)

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Put down chamois when done, turn key and go fast. Return home, chamois the few new drips and you're done!

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Blower is a great idea but a nice spirited run after the wash is much funner! :D

I used to do that all the time with my old car, which James now has. I would wash the car, start it to warm it up and then take a two minute drive down the street and 90% of the water was gone. Then super soft towel to finish followed by tons of wax. Always had a blast washing the car. :)

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gotta disagree with you boys.
Taking a freshly washed car out for a ride will once again deposit some amount of road grime back, so rubbing that off dry will only harm the paint.
But I'm pretty finicky like that.

snakebitdave

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's why I have always washed one panel at a time with 3 buckets (soap, clear water & rinse water) and then I dry it before moving to the next panel. The car gets clean without getting soaking wet. I must be nuts... Ok, before Big-n-Italian gets on here and confirms it, yes I am...

Yah, me too. I do one panel a month. That way in only 10-14 months I have the whole car done, depending on which gen I wash.

Yup, yer nuts, but in a good way:).

OP
OP
D

Darth Menace

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i actually need help with waxing. I used to wax my stang and i was okay, I waxed my charger with "Klass" a few weeks ago and the minute it got wet it left water spots that haven't really left. anyways I am no longer using my klass. I bought some meguires for the viper, I rub it on, and try to rub it off and its so darn hard to get off that i feel like i;m doing more harm than good. Am i missing something here? how can i be getting worse?