Don't Hold Your Breath! They're NOT Coming Out Any Time Soon?

Viper Wizard

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don\'t Hold Your Breath! They\'re NOT Coming Out Any Time Soon?

Last night [11-21] I was at a meeting in my Zone HQ. I asked about the release of the SRT's? They [DC upper crust] told me that it may be quite some time before you see any SRT's! Then I asked why? They said because of "Technical Issues"? Then I asked if they had a time frame for the release? They hinted it may be Months! It was obvious that it was a sore subject! My next questions where NOT ANSWERED!!

Something is up?
Here we go, more games?

Steve Ferguson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Don\'t Hold Your Breath! They\'re NOT Coming Out Any Time Soon?

I talked to PVO Wednesday, and I was told that they are waiting for one thing, but it should be resolved very soon.

Dead President

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Figure your car will come out in March, and if it comes earlier consider yourself lucky. We've waited this long for the new SRT-10, we might as well wait a little longer so they can get it right. The German quality influence at D-C doesn't want anything short of a flawless car for us. Remember the alarm power drain problem among numerous other recall items on the 96 GTS?

After all, we're mature Viper owners, not little kids who can't wait for Santa to arrive. Right?

luc

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Steve,

What is this "thing" that they are waiting for?
thanks.

Luc.

Steve Ferguson

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Luc I really can't say. I can say that it does not seem to be a big deal, and that it is just a matter of time.

The conversation was private, but he as very upbeat, and judging by his tone, I suspect that everything is going well.

Reaction score

The known bugs need to be fixed before shipping. Customers do not like having recalls. My opinion.

Lawrenzo

Enthusiast
Reaction score

If they are truly delayed until springtime wouldn't that mean that they won't have near the amount of time they need to finish all 1300 of them??? Will they do a small run of "rare" 2003's and have the rest of them be 2004's?

Tom and Vipers

Enthusiast
Reaction score

There may be thinking that there is no rush once 1/2 the country is covered in snow....

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score

And I will add my 2¢ here: As one of the ones chomping at the bit to get his SRT (garage is now horribly Viper-less), I am as eager as anybody. HOWEVER, I owned one of the first 2000 Vipers off the line. It was an incredible car and I miss it something fierce.

That said, you will find that the first +/- 200 cars produced for the 2000 model year (build dates 9-12/99) had a design problem. They used "powdered metal" cylinder sleeves which were compressed at some 600,000 pounds per square inch. The idea was to make the sleeve so hard that it would easily last for 100,000 miles with no real wear. It also made for better emmissions, as it allowed for tighter tolerances. This was new technology at the time and was not used before or since these +/- 200 cars.

So why didn't they continue to use it if it was so great? Well, they were SO hard that the rings would often not seat properly - if at all. No matter how you broke in the car, you would continue to get blow-by and burn oil. LOTS of oil. I was going through a quart every 300 miles or so. The solution? Either a crate replacement (and lose the matching numbers) or an Arrow rebuild. My car was gone for over two months. While it did not affect every one of those cars in question, I would guess that a good portion of those that actually drive their cars ended up with a rebuild. The garage queens could be in for an awakening.

Now, I was thrilled with the Arrow rebuild and it never burned a drop of oil after that. Yet if you had asked me up front if I would have waited a few months up front rather than a few months after I took delivery, well, you know the answer. I loved my car dearly, but I sure wish it didn't have a history of a rebuilt engine right off the bat. Given that the SRT is a brand new design from top to bottom, I am eager to get it, but not anxious. I want my car to arrive with no undiscovered problems and no blatent design flaws. If I have to wait until next spring to get it, big deal. At least I will be more confident that the car will STAY at my house and not go back for a recall.

Chris

PS. Now if they wait a few months to release the 2003's and then have "new and improved" 2004's a few months later (ala the 2001/2002 Z06), THEN I will have some serious concerns and may have to see if the Porsche Club needs any new members...

Viperfreak2

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Ok, so it looks like no one will get an SRT-10 before January 1st....anyone care to guess how much lux tax the goverment WILL NOT recieve due to the delay? My guess is about $750,000

Viperfreak2

Enthusiast
Reaction score

$1300 per car times the number of cars that 'should have' been delivered before Jan 1, 2003. I guessed about 575 cars would have been delivered if everything went smoothly. That would be about $750K tax money on this one car alone. Now uncle sam is out the entire amount.... That brings up another question, how much has the U.S. government collected in lux tax on Vipers over the years? How much on all lux cars?

kverges

Enthusiast
Reaction score

While I, too, am willing to wait, I am not quite as charitable as others.

First, D-C announced the car long ago and is, after all, in the business of designing, testing and building cars. It would have been nice to have gotten it right and consistent with announced dates.

Second, D-C was willing to announce and inform on any number of things, like delivery dates, performance numbers, and more. I really think it would be nice for D-C to **** it up and announce exactly what the hold up is. We all know it is a problem of some kind; why hide it and draw rank speculation?

No big deal, I suppose, as I did not want it until after the lux tax expires and do want it right. But given likely production rates and the number of confirmed certs, before long there may be an issue on EVER getting a 2003 for some of us at the end of the line.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score

Tax issue in Indiana will be "nearly a wash"...State set to increase sales tax by 1% as of Dec. 1, 2002.

Frank 03SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Not complaining, mind you, but if we are to receive them nearer spring, depreciation has hit because we would be well into the 03 model year and real close to the 04 model year.

Those of us originally scheduled to get one at the end of the 03 model year may not get an 03 at all. And if we do, the 04s will be hot on their heals -- depreciation the immediate result.

I would prefer to NOT get an 03, and instead be moved to an 04, if it isn't going to show up until around September next year.

Not complaining, mind you.

2charmed

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I do agree, If I wind up nearer the end of the 03' production
(I have no vin yet, but do have a von) I would just hold out
for the 04' I'm in no rush and will continue to enjoy my 01' ACR

2Charmed

Venom Lover

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I agree with Keith and Frank, the novelty of being "first in line" for the new SRT definitely is wearing off the later and later the release date gets. I also would take an '04 (especially if yellow is an option) in lieu of my '03 if I end up not seeing delivery until later in '03.

2charmed -- you never drive your Viper, so what are you talking about "continue to enjoy my 01' ACR"???? Do you just ogle it in the garage???
laugh.gif

2charmed

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Hi Mike,

Yes I do mostly "Ogle" it in the garage, but hey that's enjoyable to me, I'm a simple guy, what can I say?

2charmed

Venom Lover

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Just teasin', you know that Steve!

Yeah, I like ogling the Viper in the garage too!

Birvini

Enthusiast
Reaction score

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Y2KGTS:
And I will add my 2¢ here: As one of the ones chomping at the bit to get his SRT (garage is now horribly Viper-less), I am as eager as anybody. HOWEVER, I owned one of the first 2000 Vipers off the line. It was an incredible car and I miss it something fierce.

That said, you will find that the first +/- 200 cars produced for the 2000 model year (build dates 9-12/99) had a design problem. They used "powdered metal" cylinder sleeves which were compressed at some 600,000 pounds per square inch. The idea was to make the sleeve so hard that it would easily last for 100,000 miles with no real wear. It also made for better emmissions, as it allowed for tighter tolerances. This was new technology at the time and was not used before or since these +/- 200 cars.

So why didn't they continue to use it if it was so great? Well, they were SO hard that the rings would often not seat properly - if at all. No matter how you broke in the car, you would continue to get blow-by and burn oil. LOTS of oil. I was going through a quart every 300 miles or so. The solution? Either a crate replacement (and lose the matching numbers) or an Arrow rebuild. My car was gone for over two months. While it did not affect every one of those cars in question, I would guess that a good portion of those that actually drive their cars ended up with a rebuild. The garage queens could be in for an awakening.

Now, I was thrilled with the Arrow rebuild and it never burned a drop of oil after that. Yet if you had asked me up front if I would have waited a few months up front rather than a few months after I took delivery, well, you know the answer. I loved my car dearly, but I sure wish it didn't have a history of a rebuilt engine right off the bat. Given that the SRT is a brand new design from top to bottom, I am eager to get it, but not anxious. I want my car to arrive with no undiscovered problems and no blatent design flaws. If I have to wait until next spring to get it, big deal. At least I will be more confident that the car will STAY at my house and not go back for a recall.

Chris

PS. Now if they wait a few months to release the 2003's and then have "new and improved" 2004's a few months later (ala the 2001/2002 Z06), THEN I will have some serious concerns and may have to see if the Porsche Club needs any new members...
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Chris,

Don't do it!!!

Don't go to the Porsche Club!!!

Your 2WICKED plate would NEVER fit on a Porsche. You would have to change it to something like 2slow. Or, you could try 2SADDD. How about 2crappy?

nono.gif

dunno.gif

Seriously, I'm just giving you a hard time. I would be pissed if I was Viper-less also.

Tom and Vipers

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Actually, that ultra hard cylinder liner might have actually been the cat's meow.

Just think, cylinders that "never" wear out of round.

Of course, the practice of breaking in an engine with synthetic oil is questionable.

The "problem" with the liners might very easily have been the surface finish.

---------

TRAMP 13

Enthusiast
Reaction score

If they are going to wait until spring or summer to deliver our cars why don't they let the dealers have these and the certificate holder take the 04 then the dealers will be happy and they can gouge the public like they want to do and we get the new 04.I want my car like everyone else but like eveyone else I don't want something that is already on the way out to make room for the 04.

luc

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I think that there is a way to get an 04 instead of a 03 even if Dodge don't let us choose.

What about talking to your dealer and telling him that you will let him have your 03 if he agree in WRITTING to sell you at whatever the deal you had on the 03,the first 04 that he get?

Luc.

Craig 201 MPH

Enthusiast
Reaction score

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by luc:

I agree with you guys,I don't want to get my 03 a couple of months before the "new and improved" 04 are released.

The only question that i have is that may be the 03,as the first year,will retain it's value better or be more collectible

What do you think?

Luc.
00GTS

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You mean like all the $100,000 92 RT/10's?
redface.gif

Steve Ferguson

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Luc as long you as go with one of the Viper friendly dealers that would work.

SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

This makes no sense! Am I expected to believe that CAAP won't build any SRTs' until March? I've read here that SRTs' are being built as we speak.
confused.gif

Steve Ferguson

Enthusiast
Reaction score

If all goes well expect to start seeing deliveries start in January.

Elite1

Enthusiast
Reaction score

How long do they get to hold our deposits without evening giving us any answers. Hey Dodge, its all about customer R E S P E C T!

Viperrick

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Elite, I don't believe DC is holding your money. The dealer took the deposit. Did he promised you a delivery date? If so, than you may have a case but I don't know of anyone who was promised a delivery date.

OP
OP
V

Viper Wizard

Enthusiast
Reaction score

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tupperware:
What is the deal with the new Viper delivery?
I saw one up at a mall in Sugar Land, TX with a normal looking guy behind the wheel. I can't believe it was some type of promotional/test vehicle, not in this part of the country.
I think you guys are getting ****** around on delivery. There are obviously people out there who have taken delivery.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

NOT ONE 03 Viper has been delivered!!
Are you sure your glasses are clean!
laugh.gif

January looks like, at this point, delivery time!?
confused.gif