Don't Hold Your Breath! They're NOT Coming Out Any Time Soon?

2charmed

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Don\'t Hold Your Breath! They\'re NOT Coming Out Any Time Soon?

Wizard,

Have any additional Vins been assigned during this time or has
this been stopped during this period of no production?

Thanks,

2charmed

knuk

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Hey Steve, you seem to have a lot of inside information and some sort of contact at DC - why won't DC let those of us who have put deposits down know what is going on? All that seems to be going around is a bunch of rumours - everyone has talked to someone at PVO and seems to have a different version!
Can you find out why they refuse to let us know what the real story is? Maybe mention we are thier customers...

luc

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I agree with you guys,I don't want to get my 03 a couple of months before the "new and improved" 04 are released.

The only question that i have is that may be the 03,as the first year,will retain it's value better or be more collectible

What do you think?

Luc.
00GTS

Steve Ferguson

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Luc, I would guess that any first or last year of any run will always hold a little more value to collectors, but that is more than 20 years down the road. The other valuable feature of the 2003 is that it was not available to the general public like other cars are. I always thought that was one reason that the 96 GTS held such a great value.

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I would not be suprised if Dodge is not in the process of "updating" the existing SRT''s with the latest engineering updates. If the release of the car is not till Spring, then they might "skip a year" and title the cars as 04's. Would make everyone very very happy, as then customers would be able to drive the cars for a year and a half before the dreaded first year depreciation takes place.
This would also move the gas guzzling Viper off to 04 allowing Dodge to sell more very profitable trucks and SUV's while maintaining their 03' CAFE averages.

Everyone would win!
bounce.gif
bounce.gif
bounce.gif

SRTRICK

Enthusiast
Reaction score

If there isn't going to be any difference in the available colors, or powertrain, I really don't care if I get an 03, or an 04. However, if there are going to be any substantive changes, or if a color I prefer like graphite or a 96 GTS like blue are introduced, I would very much appreciate the ability to opt into an 04 with a possible early model year changeover. That would make the 03 all the more exclusive for those who got one, as an added bonus.

If there is no possibility of opting for an 04 if one has a late production car, I really hope that DC just sticks with the same drivetrain for at least three years, and stays with the same colors for 04 so there aren't issues with the current owners.

Elite1

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Your right! My dealer IS holding my deposit and no delivery date has yet been given to me. However, DC is responsible for the car being made and delivered. I think the theme is why can't DC make some info about what is going on available to us that have put down cash. Like I said before, all about RESPECT, not my deposit.

don527

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I HAVE SEEN AN '03 SRT-10 ON THE ROAD TODAY! ... So somebody must have received delivery.

Sorry for the caps but I was pretty excited to see one. I thought it can't be because I read this forum often and people are so sure that they are all on hold but I just spotted one off state road 7 off of Hillsboro blvd in Boca Raton / Parkland, FL. at 11:00am today.

I did a double and triple take and saw all the tell-tale signs of the SRT-10 and it looked just like the one at the miami auto show the previous week... A silver SRT-10 with the black top up.

Don
Z06

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Viper Wizard:
NOT ONE 03 Viper has been delivered!!
Are you sure your glasses are clean!
laugh.gif

January looks like, at this point, delivery time!?
confused.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

don527

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Could be... But that theory is getting old with a spotting here and there with no proof to prove either way. But I can honestly say that I saw one today.

Living in S. Florida I also know and seen first hand that... with enough $$$ you can get what is normally unobtainable. Lucky dude whoever he was.

Don
Z06

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 2charmed:
Must be an exec car or a test vehicle?

2Charmed

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score

In answer to numerous questions.

1. There are absolutely no sold Vipers on the road, as one would need a Cert. of Origin and none ( CSO's ) have left the factory.
2. Cars have been spotted in California, Texas,Arizona, Florida, Colorado, Michigan, Illinois, etc. - preproduction cars, going thru extensive and continual testing.
3. Have any cars moved on the line since VOI -7? The answer is yes, as we had 12 cars in I status at that time, and we now have 21. They want these cars to be beyond perfect.
4. DC had a 21% decrease in warranty claims over the past year. This is beyond huge, but it also gives you a sense of the direction they are going. They are determined to be one of the top companies in the World ,concerning quality control.
5. Ford popped out the 99 Cobra to the bane of Mustang owners, and bloodied their name for quite awhile with their Specialty Car Dept. ( SVT ). DC wants us very satisfied and is working overtime to make this car exceed our expectations.
6. With enough cars moving , though slowly, it appears that Ferguson is pretty much on track about the projected delivery.
7. My personal theory ( and nothing more ) is that with the plant closings over Thanksgiving and Christmas ( 2 week shutdown ), it would not make much sense to get out a few cars that would be subject to Luxury Tax, when the minute 1/1/03 arrives it is a moot point.

Herman Buehrle

Enthusiast
Reaction score

We will get the final word, when Dodge sends out their Customer Satisfaction surveys about our buying experience. I know I will be letting them know that this experience has soured me on their vehicles, and the way they do business. To use the example of other manufacturers mistakes in the past is too kind. After all, a corporation is pays people very good money NOT to make those mistakes. I'm sorry Bill, but the excuse of making sure they are perfect also doesn't fly. The quality has to be built in. Not retrofitted. Otherwise, they will be lucky to ship 5 Vipers a week, whenever shipping actually happens. And finally, I take exception to what may be their looking out so I don't have to pay luxury tax. Maybe I didn't care, especially since my IN state sales tax is taking a jump Dec. 1st. I figure That with a low VIN, I was screwed out of at least a months worth of driving my new Viper, since my old one was sold and I've had to do without, and be frustrated with all the rumors and conjecture.

Viperfreak2

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Bill, is the Jay Leno rumor true? Did he get a prototype car with a manufactuers tag? If no CSO's are out there, someone at the dealership had the first SRT kit car.

luc

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Obviously,Dodge have a major quality or emmissions problem that came as a total surprise to them since in the fall issue of viper magazine,they said that they were building 10 SRT a week.

They had to stop production and I imagine they also have to retrofit the car that they already made.

Whatever way you like at it,it is a major mistake for a corporation like DC to start building cars and congratulating themself on how well built those new Vipers are and suddenly having to stop to correct problem(s) that should have been discovered and fixed in the pre-production stage during testing.

Some of the VCA officers,as Steve Ferguson,claim that they know what the problem is but that they can't (as DC request I will think)share it with us.

Why is DC trying to hide what the problem is?

Luc.

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score

To put a possible spin on this for all those getting in a huff about Dodge. It could be that they are re-tweeking the engine management system to increase efficiencies which would result in better performance and GAS MILEAGE. This would allow them to reduce the gas guzzler tax which in turn would save us all several hundred dollars.
Not saying this is the case, but it could be. So please stop jumping to the conclusion that the factory is delaying release due to some self serving reason.
I believe Dodge is committed to releasing no Viper before it's time.
And YES we are all getting anxious.
It reminds me of awaiting Christmas morning when I was a little kid.

Joseph Houss

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score

One more time:

The heat issue is a NON-ISSUE. PVO has completely addressed this problem and our SRT-10's will be COOLER THAN OUR CURRENT SNAKES, yet the car mags, who were told they were driving mule cars with many production engineering changes not present, still insisted on playing the comedy card by shooting fake fried eggs on the sills. Let's see, nice job Mags! You get invited to an exclusive test drive of a next generation supercar, and you decide to focus on issues that will not exist on the production car..... hmmmm.

The current hold pattern is NOT related to ANY engineering issue .... just paperwork!

ViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

What´s the secret behind "just paperwork"...I am curious.

OP
OP
V

Viper Wizard

Enthusiast
Reaction score

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ViperGTS:
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

hail[1].gif
confused.gif
frown.gif
redface.gif
rolleyes.gif
grazy.gif
puke.gif

knuk

Enthusiast
Reaction score

It would be nice if DC would contact every person who has placed an order and give some factual information. Sounds like customers are starting to get pissed at the lack of response from DC, at least I am.

fred

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Obviously something fairly serious has happened to delay the introduction of the car for what could be at least 3 months from their first announcement. Maybe an emmission problem that has caused them to rework the engine? That would be somwhat time consuming.
Because there is this big delay and all the cars have been ordered I feel that the Customers, as a courtesy, should be notified officially from Dodge as to why the delay and when the projected new release date is.
This would be a nice gesture on the part of Dodge.

Craig 201 MPH

Enthusiast
Reaction score

has anyone thought to call headquarters and bug the hell out of them? I bet if you kept calling they would tell you something.

DEVILDOG

VCA Member North TX
Reaction score

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Joseph Houss:
One more time:

The heat issue is a NON-ISSUE. PVO has completely addressed this problem and our SRT-10's will be COOLER THAN OUR CURRENT SNAKES, yet the car mags, who were told they were driving mule cars with many production engineering changes not present, still insisted on playing the comedy card by shooting fake fried eggs on the sills. Let's see, nice job Mags! You get invited to an exclusive test drive of a next generation supercar, and you decide to focus on issues that will not exist on the production car..... hmmmm.

The current hold pattern is NOT related to ANY engineering issue .... just paperwork!

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
I agree the car mags did a bad job, however, you have to also wonder about the quality of the Dodge Public Relations/Marketing Dept. to have let it happen. IMO that same Dept. is not doing a very good job communicating with loyal Viper owners that are waiting for the SRT. Hope you all learn soon what the status is on your cars.

Joseph Houss

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ViperGTS:

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No secret. The paperwork is mandatory compliance for certification.

The red tape is incredible for manufacturers, and obviously the SRT-10 design/engineering/build timeline forced this "final exam" to be VERY close to the scheduled delivery date.

Hang in there! No issues created this bottleneck, unless you consider GOV'T testing an issue!

fred

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Joe: Thanks for the information. It is appreciated. However
if that is all and it has caused this delay and stirred up the "buyers" in the process than why wont Dodge make a simple announcment? With the complete production of 03 Vipers sold out and this considerable delay in shipping them causing buyers to "wonder" what is going on it would be a simple thing for Dodge to make an announcemnt. Certainly the 03 buyers would appreciate this small consideration from Dodge and the gesture would be not forgotten by Viper customers!

EdwardETraylorIII

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I can't help but find it comical that all of you were the first to SLAM Ford when the '03 Cobra production was halted.

What is that old saying about glass houses??
wink.gif

Seriously, I hope DC gets these cars MOVING!!!

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score

As I recall, emissions certification held up the delivery of the very early '96 GTSs - but nowhere near the timeframe we have been experiencing on the SRT. It would be nice to get an acknowledgement from DC that says they have made an official decision to delay delivery until after Jan '03 and save us the Luxury Tax for waiting. It really burned me up to pay Luxury Tax on my '93 Viper - which didn't even have outside door handles or side windows.

You may have a car built and shipped to storage, but that doesn't mean you will get it any time soon. Vehicle delivery scheduling has pretty much always been determined by how many cars are going out on one of the 11 or so delivery routes. They rarely send out trucks that aren't full.

Lawrenzo

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Everyone seems to be waxing over a big issue that I raised earlier- With all the delays, how in the world will they build the full amount of presold cars??? They obviously did some timing estimates to come up with an annual number, yet they will have 2-3 months less to build them.

Either they "rush" them through the line(which is most likely impossible) or they tell 300 "owners" that they're sorry, but we just can't sell you that first year production car as you ordered- hey how 'bout a 2nd year one instead! To some full blown collectors that will not suffice
nono.gif

DC will have to come up with some way of slecting who actually gets their car and who gets screwed. I'd hate to be on that committee!

Viperfreak2

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Don't worry, I'm sure they'll schedule some weekend and overtime work for the CAAP employees. At least that's how we do it if we get a little behind. 1300-1500 cars is not a whole lot, they should be able to add 2-3 per day to make up the difference. Too bad those cars will probably be delivered in August 2003. That's why I cancelled the SRT-10, when I found out I was at the bottom of the list of cert holders, I gave up. I thought I'd have one of the first cars in August 2002. At least that's what I was told when I put my $5000 deposit down in MARCH 2001!!!

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score

You think YOU are anxious, what do you think DODGE is motivated about. Having the first 300 cars held up is keeping Dodge from getting the money they would bring.
Minimum of $21 MILLION DOLLARS sitting on their floor. (300 cars x $70,000 = $21,000,000.)
If you think Dodge is holding back anything, then think again, as they have more on the line than any of us customers.
I know it is hard to wait, but they will not ship any cars until they are satisfied that the cars are right, and that the cars are the best they can make them be.

Venom Lover

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I can't resist chiming in again....
devil.gif

1. Something unexpected and nontrivial has obviously happened. When DC came up with their original plan to release the SRTs in September, they obviously factored in time to get regulatory approval (CARB, etc., i.e., the "paperwork" that is supposedly holding them up now). It's implausible that the world's third largest automotive manufacturer underestimated the time to get such certification completed by 3 months. So, we all know something somewhat serious or very serious is going on here!
2. That being said, it would be nice to have some inkling of what's going on. No, such courtesy is not usually afforded buyers of other makes and models, but we all hope that DC realizes we Viper folks are a little (or a lot) different. As in "Dodge Different". Is it too much to ask to be treated with a little more respect than the average car-buyer who really doesn't care at all about the inner workings of a car company or what is required to get his car onto the showroom floor?
3. Since DC has chosen to give us the "silent treatment", we can only conclude that whatever the problem is, it would be horribly emabarrassing for the truth to be revealed, because what harm could there be in an official statement to the effect "Retrofitting and retooling is being done to solve the excess heat problem identified in the automotive press" (as an example if that was the real problem). I don't see DC stock crashing or consumer interest in the SRT waning as a result of such a confession. Hence, since we're not idiots, we conclude from DC's silence that the problem is severe and or ugly/embarrassing. Leaving the problem up to our imaginations is probably way worse than coming clean!
4. And I agree with whoever made the comment earlier that we SRT buyers have put a lot of "faith" in DC in this whole affair. We plunked down deposits before any official performance numbers, pricing information, photos (for those of us with black or silver), etc. were released. It's not hard to understand why some of us are getting weary of this situation. Yeah, yeah, we can always back out if we don't like it, you say. Is that the attitude of a company who really cares about the customer, though? Saying "You can be replaced" makes me feel really appreciated....
5. Paul H, take a guess how much revenue DC made last year. $153 billion Euros. At about 1 Euro to the dollar, that's about...hmmmm... $153 billion dollars. Or to put it another way, DC takes in $419 million per day. I realize $21M may sound like a lot to you, but that's 1.2 hours worth of revenue to DC. Yeah, they'd like to get the cars out, but let's not pretend their bottom line or cash flow is significantly affected by 300 Vipers sitting around CAAP for another month.

End of rant. No doubt my order just moved down 200 more notches.....

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang