Don't Hold Your Breath! They're NOT Coming Out Any Time Soon?

2charmed

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Don\'t Hold Your Breath! They\'re NOT Coming Out Any Time Soon?

Ok,

Santa.... er I mean an undisclosed source just told a friend of an aquaintence of somone I don't know, but may know in another life, that the reason for the silent treatment is a Christmas present for all of us Coupe lovers! DC will be announcing the option to change your order from the SRT to the SRT/Coupe on Christmas morning!

Ok so that's probably not it, but that would make this delay with no official explanation worth it!

2Charmed

genXgts

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Great post Venom, on the money no doubt.

reading the various feel good posts about "doing the right thing", "waiting until the product is the best it can be", "the company is putting the customer first", I feel like I'm reading the preface to an annual report gone bad.

Living within 20 miles of CAP has lead to some pretty nifty rumors wafting over the border to my side, some unfounded.

Others however, verified by those in the know, are hard to believe are occurring in a big three manufacturer, regardless of volume.

Dead President

Enthusiast
Reaction score

No more whining! Or is that pretentious anticipation?

If you can't wait --- go buy a Z06 or a Porsche. Who cares? There are people lined up waiting for your $1,500 over invoice, smoke everything in site (don't forget the 0-100-0 milestone), unobtainable '03 SRT-10. Maybe you'd rather not have an involved factory, Viper invitationals, or a loyalty program which gave you a chance to get this car in the first place at a great price.

If want a 2003 or whatever year it comes out, sit down, shut up and wait. Times sure have changed. When I got my 93, we were happy to have an A/C less, windowless, no door handles car, and I forgot . . . late in 93. In 96 the cars sat for months while they waited on wheels among other glitches.

We want it all and we want it now, but 70% of the world population has no phone, car or computer . . . and we complain!

If D-C starts shipping in January, it should not be a secret that more than half of us will receive our cars in March or later. Some of you complainers will receive your cars in late June!!!

Listen to Bill P. He provides good info and the rest is hyperpole, frustration and speculation.

I can wait, can you??????

Frank Creede

OP
OP
V

Viper Wizard

Enthusiast
Reaction score

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 2charmed:
Ok,

Santa.... er I mean an undisclosed source just told a friend of an aquaintence of somone I don't know, but may know in another life, that the reason for the silent treatment is a Christmas present for all of us Coupe lovers! DC will be announcing the option to change your order from the SRT to the SRT/Coupe on Christmas morning!

Ok so that's probably not it, but that would make this delay with no official explanation worth it!

2Charmed

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

laugh.gif

I hope Santa is listening!
supergrin.gif

DEVILDOG

VCA Member North TX
Reaction score

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Viperpit2003:
My $.02

I'd much rather have the factory dudes make any changes/modifications to my car than the tech at the dealer who will have marginable abilities on the new snakes, at best. I can wait. Hell, not only will I save the Lux tax, but I am earning interest on my money while it sits there in the bank. Not much interest, I admit, but enough to buy the mats from the CA club, and the bra and car cover from DC.
ViperPit2003

SRT-10 VIN 500133

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Just a money making suggestion. If you have that much confidence in DC and the current official SRT story why don't you take your SRT money and buy DCX stock until your car is ready? After all DCX stock can only go up at least more than the 1% interest you get at the bank...right?

ewave

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Here's my theory:

Maybe DC is delaying the SRT10 because there really is very little demand? Everyone's boasting how all 1500 certificates have been sold out, but if I remember correctly, these certificates were GIVEN away. So it's basically a lottery: If you have certificate with delivery of unit 1 through 300, this is like winning the lottery, because you can probably turn around and resell the car after you take delivery of it and make a profit... If you are number 300+, this probably isn't true. If the SRT10 resale value follows the current GTS model, how many of the 1500 certificate owners do you think will cancel their order?

Anyway, in the view of self interest, what I'd like to see happen is for the SRT10 to be canceled. As a current GTS owner this would do WONDERS for MY resale value... In fact it would probably bring the price up 20-40% overnight.

Seeing as there are over 8000 GenI and GenII owners, if DC really cared about its existing Viper owners they would cancel the SRT10...

Joseph Houss

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score

Sorry, but your theory doesn't hold water....

ALL SRT-10's are sold! Remember, DC SELLS the cars to dealers .... so once the dealer places the order ... as far as DC is concerned ..... it's gone! The dealer would be the only one taking any "risk" if someone decided not to take his/her SRT..... and I don't think any dealer would complain about that, as most would rather have 'em for inventory and their showroom.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ewave:
Here's my theory:

Maybe DC is delaying the SRT10 because there really is very little demand? Everyone's boasting how all 1500 certificates have been sold out, but if I remember correctly, these certificates were GIVEN away. So it's basically a lottery: If you have certificate with delivery of unit 1 through 300, this is like winning the lottery, because you can probably turn around and resell the car after you take delivery of it and make a profit... If you are number 300+, this probably isn't true. If the SRT10 resale value follows the current GTS model, how many of the 1500 certificate owners do you think will cancel their order?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Venom Lover

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Steve,

AIIIIEEEEE!!! That was a cruel joke perpetrated on someone like me who wants to believe that explanation! Now you're going to tell me there isn't a Santa either, right?
crying.gif

Viperpit2003,

Where did I ever say that DC should rush the SRT out the door? Hell, I'm probably last on the list now anyway, so what's the rush? My only point is that it would be a nice to know officially what's going on. Frankly, I'm really enjoying my '03 Cobra right now, and since I'll have to part ways with it when my SRT arrives, I don't mind waiting.
smile.gif

Frank,

Actually, I can wait. In fact, I'm thinking now I'll take delivery on my SRT instead of getting a Z06 today just to spite you.
tongue.gif
Seriously, I had a Z06 and it didn't really do much for me. I don't care for Porsche styling. Believe it or not, I actually do want an SRT -- that's why I ordered one a long time ago from Billy P even before the cert program was announced. I was a low number on his original list. And where did I ever say "I want it now"? In fact, I'm thinking if I'm one of those "delivery in June" guys, which my attitude is probably assuring, I'll just wait a little longer until 2004 for yellow -- and maybe also that upgraded driveline we keep hearing about.
wink.gif
And please save the "70% of the world has no phone" attitude for some liberal who will sympathize with it. That has no bearing on this discussion.

As I said above, I don't appreciate the "you can be replaced" attitude. Maybe you do, so good for you. However, I don't think that we, the Viper Nation, can be replaced when it comes to Viper sales. There was some speculation for a while that the SRT was targeted at a broader market than the current GTS or RT, but I believe the car mags have dispelled that notion (e.g., most recently SCI stating that the SRT is still rough enough around the edges to require a "special" kind of buyer to appeal to).

Point is, yes, as you say, times have changed. Viper sales have been crappy in recent years, the economy is sucking wind, etc., so I'm amazed to hear that you think DC can treat us however they **** well please and if we don't like it, we can go elsewhere. Personally, I plan on taking delivery of my SRT, driving it a bit, seeing how I like it, and when the time comes, flipping it for a Ford GT, which will smoke the SRT. Or, if the GT never makes it or doesn't live up to the hype, I'll either keep the SRT or buy an SRT Coupe (if such a thing ever exists).

Oh and where did I say I did not appreciate stuff like the loyalty program that gave us first dibs on the SRT? (Though let's not pretend that's unique to the Viper, as Ferrari does similar stuff when deciding who gets first dibs on its new products.) My point was just that DC's coming clean on what's going on would be a nice gesture, otherwise unproductive speculation and unproductive threads such as this will abound.
smile.gif

Paul,

You raise a good point. There will be some number of cert holders who will not take delivery of their cars. However, Joe is right, that's the dealers' problem, not DC's. Moreover, dealers have "waiting lists" of people ready to take delivery of cars from cert holders who back out. The question I wonder about is how much demand there will be in '04 and '05 once the 1st year hype wears off (and once the Ford GT arrives).
smile.gif

--Mike

Craig 201 MPH

Enthusiast
Reaction score

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ewave:
Here's my theory:

Anyway, in the view of self interest, what I'd like to see happen is for the SRT10 to be canceled. As a current GTS owner this would do WONDERS for MY resale value... In fact it would probably bring the price up 20-40% overnight.

Seeing as there are over 8000 GenI and GenII owners, if DC really cared about its existing Viper owners they would cancel the SRT10...

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Are you related to execmalibu?

If DC cared, they would CANCEL the SRT?
rofl.gif

I hope you're joking.

2charmed

Enthusiast
Reaction score

UH Mike,

No I would never tell you there is no Santa Clause!
nono.gif

2Charmed

Wing King

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Lundeen! You could be right! Maybe they've been........ "TAKEN" !!
laugh.gif

We're all different and have varying attitudes about the delay. Guess I'm one of the lucky ones. Things are working out great for me. Thanks to saving the luxury tax, Dodge and the Feds are paying for a clean up and renovation of my garage. New paint, cabinets and a cool Race Deck floor. I'll now have a "showroom" fitting to display TWO Vipers!
smile.gif
Should be done in time for a hoped for January delivery, but if the car is not built yet...... I can wait. Thanks!

Yea, in a perfect world maybe it would be a nice thing to be receiving regular info about all the little details. In the past, and let's be honest, they really HAVE spoiled us a bit..... involving us WAYYYYYYYYYY beyond what any other USA Manufacturer has done for their owners group over time. However, I'm thinking that there are LOTS of changes going on at the corporate level right now. Positions and titles seem to be changing like musical chairs. I imagine things are pretty hectic right now, so I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt, and trusting a group of hard working engineers to give me a good car as soon as possible. I happen to know they have a lot of pride in what they're doing. It's just OUR car..... but it's THEIR life!

Man.... we can be a tough crowd sometimes!
smile.gif

Venom Lover

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Steve,
Thanks for not bursting my bubble!
supergrin.gif

WingKing,
Yeah, I hear what you're saying. Believe me, I appreciate the hard work all the engineers and production people at PVO put into the Viper, and I suppose we have been spoiled in the past. My only "complaint", if you want to call it that, is with the PR folks who are handling information flow (or lack thereof). And in fact I am not complaining (in my view) so much as observing what will happen with human behavior when a situation like this arises and there is no information. I am looking forward to my SRT as much as anybody.

<FONT COLOR="#ff0000" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">This message has been edited by Venom Lover on 12-03-2002 at 06:50 PM</font>

OP
OP
V

Viper Wizard

Enthusiast
Reaction score

THERE WILL BE NO 2003 VIPERS!!

All of the SRT-10's that have been built and the rest of the first 1500 are all going to be re-titled. They will become 2004 models!

How about them apples?
supergrin.gif

Mike Brunton

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I used to do a lot of work for the folks in the MA government that are the counterparts of the CARB folks in Cali. We worked closely with CARB in California to do statistical analysis, etc.

Knowing a few people, I got a name and called someone I used to work with at CARB. I mentioned how I was told that they were dragging their heels and that's why 2003 Vipers have not yet been shipping. What I was told is...

1) There is a fixed amount of time it takes to certify a new vehicle. DC knew how long it would take. It's always taken the same amount of time, and it's no secret to anyone how long it takes or what is involved.

2) As of when I talked to them (which was a couple of months ago), DC had not yet given them a finalized car to certify. They don't care about the tires or sidesills or shifter or the seats, they only care about the emissions, which come from the MOTOR. Any "substantive changes" to the engine require re-certification.

It would be reasonable to presume that DC had to make some ENGINE changes. I've heard there have been engine durability issues. If that is true, and they are making changes to the engine, then those changes MUST be part of what is submitted to CARB for certification.

Now, I'm sure everyone will jump in and tell me I'm wrong - if anyone has the time and motivation to call CARB and talk to higher-up with real info, post what they say here.

DC knows how long it takes to certify a car. You guys don't think the brownnosers amongst the group (who are the ones with info) will say whats REALLY going if it's not flattering to DC, do you?

I posted all I know... they sent the car in for certification late, hence it's taking longer to get the CARB cert because it was sent in late. The REAL question is, why was it sent in late? They know how long it takes to be approved, so why the delay? It's real convenient to blame the government, but those who are blaming the government for this delay are lying to you. They are coving up for DC's recent "issues".

The chances of the real "issues" being uncovered here are about as high as finding a chicken roaming ethiopia.

gtsviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Mike
Why are you so bitter? The information you post is very interesting but it is usually personal, insulting to some and emotional. You'll live a lot longer if you try to remain objective.

2charmed

Enthusiast
Reaction score

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Viper Wizard:
THERE WILL BE NO 2003 VIPERS!!

All of the SRT-10's that have been built and the rest of the first 1500 are all going to be re-titled. They will become 2004 models!

How about them apples?
supergrin.gif
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's great, any chance they'll throw in a few coupes?
Maybe a new color for 04' like "Plum Crazy Purple" ?

smile.gif

2Charmed

ViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

You are all wrong - the truth is that Jurgen Schrempp recognized that the new SRT/10 has more power that the SL cars, e.g. the SL 55 AMG...NO WAY he SHOUTED to Detroit! Reduce the power! He asked the (very silent) managers: how shall we sell cars like the SL 55 AMG for 125,000 Euros (=US$) and up in Germany if DC cars like a Dodge Viper will be sold for less than 100,000 Euros AND being more powerful and ...blablabla...

To make the story short: the SRT/10 engine has now less power than the SL and for emission certification reasons needs some VERY SECRET paperwork.................

Hope this makes the whole thing clear like a good Bavarian wheat beer!
:
:
:
:
:
:
:
:
:
:
:
:
:
:
:
:
:
:
:
:
:
:
:
:
:
:
:
:
:
<FONT size="1">this is a joke</FONT s>
rofl.gif

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ViperGTS:
Hope this makes the whole thing clear like a good Bavarian wheat beer

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hefeweizen? Love that stuff, with lemon...

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score

Does anyone else here have the Holy Spirit gift of suspicion?

Well, Mike B's post sounds like the most factual reason for the delay in the SRT. They couldn't send it in for Carb certification because they were making engine changes for whatever reason. Maybe, in an effort to reduce reciprocating mass, they made the pistons too short, and this resulted in premature wearing of the cylinder liners.

Or maybe it was making too much power, and they had to de-tune it. Whatever...

But the facts is, it was sent in late for Carb certification.

Does being objective mean you have keep quiet about what you know?
smile.gif

DEVILDOG

VCA Member North TX
Reaction score

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by gtsviper:
Mike
Why are you so bitter? The information you post is very interesting but it is usually personal, insulting to some and emotional. You'll live a lot longer if you try to remain objective.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Believe it or not I agree with Mike. I think we are all tired of Corporate America's non-disclosure and B.S.. Personally, I left a Fortune 30 company as a VP that I had 25 years in this past March. Trust me I know what really goes on. I work for myself now, by myself, and I'm happier, healthier ( now weigh a muscular 192 instead of 242 at 6ft. tall ), workout/run daily, sleep great, don't answer to corrupt idiots, don't take crap from transactional based customers and I've doubled my wealth in 8 months. For the first time since I was a kid I feel like I'm living and that I'm really free. Wish the same and more to all. Corporate America ***** unless you're one of the corrupt elitest. At least they are not making money off of me anymore. Do I have a bad attitude...no...just a knowledgeable history of the real corporate world. BTW, it's connected to the elitest in all other aspects of America. Seen any Enron, Worldcon, Adelphia, Tyco, Martha Stewarts spend a day in jail yet? Won't happen. The SEC is nothing but an elitest front to convince all us non-elitest that the stock market is a fair playing field. I'm doing great as a day trader...do my own extensive research and risk my own money. I've followed stocks that have traded more than twice their average daily volume before a market close announcement that same day that drove the stocks up over 25% in after market trading. Don't tell me insider trading doesn't exist...it's rampant!!! The elitest insiders are laughing all the way to the banks they own every day. It would be very easy for the SEC to investigate these trades as every transaction is recorded yet insider trading prosecutions are virtually statistically non-existent. Think about it! Anyway, don't be surprised we don't know what is going on with the SRT. You never will. Be objective, be optimistic, be well behaved...that is what the elitest want you to be. It's called controlling the ignorant masses so the elitest can truly live a life of freedom. BTW, before anyone labels me I've been a lifelong conservative, hawkish, pro death penalty Republican. I'm now an Independent. Here endeth the lesson. I'm sure many of you already know it so excuse me if you're part of the choir.

King GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Mike knows what he's talking about guys.

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score

Excuse me for pulling the thread a bit off topic. Ok, a lot off topic! Anyway-

Martha Stewart is small potatoes. Most insiders are never caught, and the public knows NOTHING of their dealings.

Here is an example- But I have to say that I don't know if its true.

When the President takes office, he and his wife's assets are placed in a trust fund. This is suppossedly to avoid improprieties while in office. But the trust fund manager can make decisions about what to do with the money, how to invest it, etc. You don't think they would do anything but make more money, do you? Of course not!

So while a certain first lady was going around the country promoting national health care, pharmecutical stocks were going in the toilet. National health care would mean that the huge profits from patented percscription drugs would dwindle, under government control. The pharmecutical industry is a multi-billion dollar a year deal.

So while she is touting nat. health care, her trust fund is "shorting" pharmecutical stocks. (Selling high, buying back later at a lower price) The more she talked, the more people dumped their pharm. stocks. And the more the trust fund shorted the stock.

It can be said that this was all quite legal, and in fact, insider trading is hard to prove, and its hard to pin down the culprits. But I would have to agree with Devil Dog, that corporate corruption is in the highest levels of our society.

My feeling is that Martha Stewart made an enemy somewhere, which is not that hard to imagine! Otherwise, no body would have heard of her dumping Imclone.

George Sorros once shorted the British Pound to death, and drove it into the dirt. In one day, Sorros made a billion dollars, as measured in USD. He was called "The man who broke the Bank of England" Did anyone threaten him with a grand jury investigation? I don't know if they did, but I'm sure nothing came of it. When you are that big, the rules don't apply to you. Rules are for the little people, who pay taxes, and take the wrong side of every bet.

Watch the news! This morning I heard that someone planted some bombs at various Ikeas. Did Ikea drop today? If so, that would be an example of a good stock to short, hard and fast, then get out of the position. Gouge their eyes out!

ViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Vic: Hefeweizen
yesnod.gif

Russ Oasis

Enthusiast
Reaction score

You guys are all paranoid. The world is not a big conspiracy. Sure,there are some bad apples, but in general, look at what a great country we live in compared to EVERY OTHER COUNTRY ON THE FACE OF THE EARTH.

DEVILDOG

VCA Member North TX
Reaction score

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Russ Oasis:
You guys are all paranoid. The world is not a big conspiracy. Sure,there are some bad apples, but in general, look at what a great country we live in compared to EVERY OTHER COUNTRY ON THE FACE OF THE EARTH.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Sorry, if I'm paranoid you're naive.

Lawrenzo

Enthusiast
Reaction score

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by DEVILDOG:
Originally posted by Russ Oasis:

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Sorry, if I'm paranoid you're naive.

These posts remind me of the movie "Eyes Wide Shut"
The power behind the scenes are obscene! Oh, and I'd love to see more of Nicole Kidman without clothing
wink.gif

Birvini

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Good for you Mr Devildog!!! I did the same thing. I hate "corporate." If your not at the top, your looked at as a POS and lied to everyday.