door actuator

97 gts vettslayr

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I had my drivers side stop working two years ago. It was a broken wire in the harness that goes to the door. It is a common problem but an easy fix.

Viper Wizard

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Isn't it a cheap Ford part?

The CHEAP ford part your referring to is the headlamp switch! I have not seen the manufactures logo on the door switch? :smirk:

I am also leaning towards the problem is in the door wiring, location, door jam because that's were the wiring gets bent every time you open or close the door. Let us know what you find!

OP
OP
M

motor602

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the responses guys, I havent been in town for a few months and was lucky enough to have the tech at the dealer when I was in town on saturday. I took it to the tech and the dealer told me they were going to order a new actuator for the door. Does that sound about right to everyone? I wasnt able to chat with him so I have no idea what kind of diagnostic he ran, whether he went in there and found the root cause or not, just that they ordered an actuator. Unfortunately Im not at home where I could try the air hose/WD-40. You think im getting hosed here, them ordering a more expensive service than is necessary? I only ask because I have no idea what goes on with electrical stuff like this nor do I know the extent of service that could be necessary for a door situation like this.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, we can pray for you, but it sounds like your fate is in the hands of your tech.

I would personally do things in this order:

-> Clean switch on door.

-> Remove door panel and actuator and attempt a bench test. I only assume that is possible, and easier to do than rewiring the door jamb.

-> When all else has failed, inspect the door wiring and repair as needed.

OP
OP
M

motor602

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I ll have to have a chat with the tech next time Im back in NJ. Go a little deeper into the issue. Some additional information for those of you who are door astute...when I hit the door release I can hear the electrics working and the switch mechanism engaging, the only thing that doesnt happen is the actual opening of the door. I GOT NO POP!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang