Door Alignment Procedures - Can anyone detail?

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did a search on "door alignment" and while many have attempted and some were even successful, no one has really shared all the tips and tricks involved. Rather than learning by my mistakes, can anyone provide ideas on the proper way to lift the rear end of the door? Mine is rubbing low on the door surround moulding.

Thanks!

Dixter

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ron, I have done it as I have had to replace the hinge. I would just take
the side cover off and with a scribe or nail, scribe around the hinge to mark its present position. Don't worry, only you will know that there is a mark in the paint there. Now slightly loosen the bolts that are attached to the body
side of the hinge. Open the door a few inches and lift and hold while the bolts
are tightened again. Now try the door out. It won't take much movement up
to get it all aligned again.

As a note. I think the next time I have the side covers off of the car I'm going
to scribe the hinge on both the door side and the body side. Because I know
the doors will sooner or later move. This way I can always get them back to
where they were.

This probably should be a good idea for all Viper owners. You'l thank yourself
later down the road if you do.

Fast Viper Dan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's a snap!
Remove the small side cover (?) just in front of the door,
inside the "scalp of the hood". This will expose the door hinges. You need help with this part. Lessen the bolts that hold the hinge to the body and re tighten a little bit. Leave one, top or bottom a little looser than the other while your helper holds the door . Have your helper lift ever so little while you watch how much the hinge moves. Snug up the bolts and test. Use caution when testing. Close the door slowly. Do not simply slam it.
Repeat until you are happy with the alignment.
Tighten the hinge bolts. Test again. And there you are
Smooth as a gravy sandwich!
Good luck,
Dan

Fast Viper Dan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dixter,
I know what you mean, but I think there is some movement in the door itself. What I mean is the hinges may not move but the door will need to be realigned from time to time.
Dan