door speakers

sambo32

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does the door panel have to be removed to change out the door speakers on my 09 coup. Looking to replace them with Kicker KS600.

georgethedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry to be a "critic" but if you are going to the trouble of replacing the speakers you should get something that is better than Kickers--unless of course you are getting them free or very cheap.

OP
OP
S

sambo32

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Any recomendations, I want a set of speakers that will bolt right in without any modifications.

RECOIL

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I need to do this in my 06. Don't feel like wiring anything -- am hoping to find something that is really easy for a novice to switch out.

vermontv23

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I feel like Alpine is junk... i wouldn't mind giving them another try but i didn't like them on my 03 SRT10 I was looking into replacing my speakers too including the Sub.

-If there is a bunch of us who needs the same size speaker, can we initiate a group by from one of the vendors?

-Is there a better stereo than the Alpine that pops out and flip? i hate the flipping thing... not my style. something with a screen an Nav will be awesome.

I will do some research...

cubican

Enthusiast
Reaction score
+ 1 on the polk, but the kicker works just fine. I replace the sub with a kicker and the doors with polks.

georgethedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Find a good local independent car stereo shop and see what hey have, They will be able to let you know what fits.

I suggest a brand called "Hertz". I have "Canton" speakers in my daily driver, but they are German made high-end and a little more expensive. I have not changed my Gen 3 yet. I think the previous owner has because they don't sound too bad. Gotta open it up and look sometime. If I change, I will go with Hertz. High end sound without an outrageous price.

JohnnyViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
coming from someone that use to install audio equipment for a living, kicker is just fine as well as polk, jb audio, boston acoustic and mb quarts. I will tell you this, you will spend this much more money $$$$$$$$$$$$ for just slightly better sound then a good replacement speaker and the average ear can not tell a big difference between a $195 door speaker vs a $750 one

georgethedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
coming from someone that use to install audio equipment for a living, kicker is just fine as well as polk, jb audio, boston acoustic and mb quarts. I will tell you this, you will spend this much more money $$$$$$$$$$$$ for just slightly better sound then a good replacement speaker and the average ear can not tell a big difference between a $195 door speaker vs a $750 one

Johnny, Hertz is in the same price range as the ones you mentioned, but acts like a high end product. It takes a lot to impress an audiophile like me, and those are impressive for car speakers.

Jay M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Will the speakers themselves really make that much of a difference? I would assume that you can't just replace the door speaker, you would also need to replace the tweeter that has been matched to the crossover and woofer.

Car stereo systems are a pain in the butt to make sound good. If you simply want loud, or boomy, that's easy- but good? now that is a real challenge!

~Jay

JohnnyViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
yes I have noticed the "cheaper" speakers have been making leaps and bounds compared to how they were 10-12 years ago, back in the day I would only consider the high end line of Boston Acoustic or JL Audio component speakers, now I will be doing "cheaper" component speakers moving forward now that I don't do SQ competitions and I'm sure they will satisfy my audiophile ears, I would however still stay away from cheaper subs JL Audio all the way for me in that area for car audio :)

JohnnyViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
jay check out amazon, pick up the kicker KS or DS line components, they are around $85-$110 buck for a pair, you will love them over your stock speakers

georgethedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Will the speakers themselves really make that much of a difference? I would assume that you can't just replace the door speaker, you would also need to replace the tweeter that has been matched to the crossover and woofer.

Car stereo systems are a pain in the butt to make sound good. If you simply want loud, or boomy, that's easy- but good? now that is a real challenge!

~Jay

Hi Jay, well, with the low quality of the Viper door speakers aftermarket speakers in the doors alone will make a significant difference. You are right that if you want something that sounds good (real good) you would actually have to change all speakers, head unit, and the amp., readjust crossover, etc. But, if a person wants a cheap fix that will provide a very high incremental difference in a Viper, changing the door speakers will do that. The ones Johnny suggested would provide that incremental difference!

Best of luck to Sambo32. I'm not a big fan of Kicker, but they "kick" the crap out of stock and you will notice a big difference. :)

RECOIL

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That Polk is a 6.5 Inch. Will it fit a 2006 coupe? Just wanted to double check before I order it.

Thanks.
Steve

JohnnyViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
:) I also was not a fan of kicker until a recent trip to best buy, they had a demo car set up with the speakers I mentioned and I was impressed then even more impressed when I found out they are under 100 bucks, I think the car also has to be considered, I would never put a high end speaker in a viper its to hostile an environment with road noise, stock or after market exhaust tones, the rattles...etc to have the pure sound of heaven come through on a super nice speaker, also the taste of the listener is also important, some speakers are muddy, bright ect and appeals to different ears, for example me and george may never agree on a speaker because he likes muddy and I like bright and neither of us would be wrong, in the end a george said anything is better than stock :drive:

spikeone

Enthusiast
Reaction score
which Hertz speakers fits in the viper? any specific model?

looking into changing door and middle speaker in my '99 RT-10

RECOIL

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Saw other people talk about the Polks in another thread. Just bought a pair off Amazon for 60.00 with free shipping. If it won't fit in the Viper, Ill stick it in the Honda.

vancouver-gts

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I installed the Polk dB651s in my car. It's a true 6.5", so the factory grille won't slip over it because it's desinged for a 6 1/4" Chrysler speaker, made in Japan.I used the silver Polk's grille that stand's out compared to the OEM grille that's flushed with the door panel. Here's the only problem though,the passenger side speaker hole is 1/2 more forward towards the dash compared to the driver side :rolleyes:, causing interference with the Polk grill.I sanded the thickness of the rim's backside down by 3/8" and sanded two spokes on the grille that would still interfere with the dash.After sanding ,there's a 1/8 clearence between the dash and Polk speaker grill now with the door closed.I tested the sound with the OEM door tweeter and the Polk's tweeter temporarily disconnected,it didn't have good highs, compared to have all the tweeters intact, finding it sounding much better.Obviously Polk's tweeter sounds better with matched crossover system. I can return the factory speaker and grill anytime ,not that I ever want to.
It's definitely an improvement ,but I didn't expect it to sound as good as my Celestion Ditton home system;).I hardly ever listen to the car stereo ,so it makes no sense to me investing in an expensive upgrade.

cubican

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The polk dB651s will fit perfect, but make sure that you get the ones with the " S " at the end.

KNG SNKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I run Focals. Very good, but very pricey.
For cost efficiency, Infinity's are awesome. Great sound.
Kicker components are low on my list.
Alpine makes great decks but their speakers are not great
MB Quart make some of the finest component speakers, though the older models are much better then the newer ones.

RECOIL

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I canceled my Polk order when I saw the OEM grills wouldn't go back.

The OEM grills are a must for me. Any suggestions, with part numbers? Many thanks.

vancouver-gts

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Most car audio speakers come with four mounting holes nowadays, albeit they come with adapters with three or four holes. The adapters go behind the speaker so it's still an issue with the OEM grille that may not flush with the door panel.Surface mount speakers are abundant and the easiest to install. You may have to shop for a speaker that's 6" or even smaller and would accept the OEM grille without some modification.Good luck.

vermontv23

Viper Owner
Reaction score
if you find a set that will slip right in it will make me happy too... crappy speakers and crappy sub... cant wait to change them