Door trim (inner)

10 BANGER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Has anyone had this plastic strip split in two right down the middle the entire lenght. (item #7) Its somehow attached to the door panel. I need to replace it on both my doors but was wondering if someone has found a cheaper alternative.
Thanks. 06 Vert.

https://www.dodgetruckparts.net/dodge-viper-parts.html
Go to Door, Door and components, Belt w strip, inner. Click on view illustration. #7

ROCKET62

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
Pic:
RT03280.JPG

Last edited:

Viper Wizard

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Has anyone had this plastic strip split in two right down the middle the entire lenght. (item #7) Its somehow attached to the door panel. I need to replace it on both my doors but was wondering if someone has found a cheaper alternative.
Thanks. 06 Vert.

https://www.dodgetruckparts.net/dodge-viper-parts.html
Go to Door, Door and components, Belt w strip, inner. Click on view illustration. #7

Part #7 is not what your looking for! The plastic strip that is split IS part of the door panel and the way they break most of the time is when someone does not remove the panel correctly! :mad: Door panel MSRP $1395.00 :omg:

Paul Scharf 800-338-4002!!

OP
OP

10 BANGER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Part #7 is not what your looking for! The plastic strip that is split IS part of the door panel and the way they break most of the time is when someone does not remove the panel correctly! :mad: Door panel MSRP $1395.00 :omg:

I bought the car two months ago and that's how it was. I called Paul Scharf he wants $200 a piece $400.00 total. That's what he says he can get for them, but are they worth that much?.:crazy2:
C'on. For a plastic strip/molding? That's ridiculous considering the price it cost to upgrade the OEM brake lines (critical component)for the SS ones (4 pieces) at $200.00.

I know it's for a Viper but, I just don't understand where they come up with these prices on certain parts/items when they couldn't possibly justify them.
I'll have to think of something to replace it.

ROCKET62

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score

Chuck - I was thinking the same thing when I read the post, which is why I posted the picture. As you may recall, I called you in a panic when I was removing my door panel as that dang part started to split. I ended up having to glue mine back together after removing the staples that held it to the door panel.

Demoes, are you really referring to #7 in the drawing or the thin plastic strip that is attached to the actual interior door panel and has the STRONG metal clips that hold the top of the door panel in place? In order to remove the door panel correctly, you need to shimmy a screwdriver/panel removing tool, push up on those metal clips and NOT pull up on the interior door panel as that WILL split that top plastic piece.

redtanrt10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I bought the car two months ago and that's how it was. I called Paul Scharf he wants $200 a piece $400.00 total. That's what he says he can get for them, but are they worth that much?.:crazy2:
C'on. For a plastic strip/molding? That's ridiculous considering the price it cost to upgrade the OEM brake lines (critical component)for the SS ones (4 pieces) at $200.00.

I know it's for a Viper but, I just don't understand where they come up with these prices on certain parts/items when they couldn't possibly justify them.
I'll have to think of something to replace it.

As the Wizard said those pieces are very easy to break.

I'm sure Paul's price is for the complete door panel, not the plastic strip. They are not a seperate piece that can easily be reconnected to the door panel

If you have the strips, take them to an auto upholstery shop and see if they can reattach them to the door panel and for how much. I broke one half way and paid about $75.00 to get it fixed at a shop in Costa Mesa.

slysnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah, they do break easily. Unless you really know how to do it almost guarenteed to break them if you try to remove the door panel. They are stapled to the fibre board. Re stapling would be very difficult. I wonder if new ones could be glued on?

Yes, I broke my drivers side one. I haven't tried to replace it yet. For now I have a strip of black electrical tape covering the crack, which actually blends in fairly well.

$200 is about the price I've found for replacement pieces. Just those pieces, not the entire door panel. Most door panels I've seen for sale are WITHOUT those pieces.

OP
OP

10 BANGER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Like i said, That's how i bought the car. I now realize the #7 piece is not the correct part. It's the one stapled on the top of the door panel as mentioned above.
You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

SNKEBIT

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I'm sure Paul's price is for the complete door panel,

quote]

It is not the complete door panel. He has them made. That's what it costs. Low production vehicle=high costs.
Pay 700+ plus for the whole door panel with the same crappy piece that dodge put in there and buy another door panel later when the that one breaks or pay 200 for the better designed piece from Paul, put it in once and done.................:dunno:

Atppilot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jon B at Parts rack has them. They are of one piece design and beats the heck out of the door panel replacement option. Give him a call.

OP
OP

10 BANGER

Enthusiast
Reaction score

PHP:
[HTML][B]I'm sure Paul's price is for the complete door panel[/B],
[/HTML]This oughta tell you something.

It is not the complete door panel. He has them made. That's what it costs. Low production vehicle=high costs.
Pay 700+ plus for the whole door panel with the same crappy piece that dodge put in there and buy another door panel later when the that one breaks or pay 200 for the better designed piece from Paul, put it in once and done.................:dunno:

Then I guess since he has these made than one would asume the $200.00 price is primarily based on the fact that it's going on a High end vehicle and not on what it really costs to manufacture. :nono: It might be a better design but quality and design are two defferent categories. I prefer Quality. I don't know where you get "crappy" from since people break them, they don't break on their own. Also, Keep in mind we are talking about .75 cents worth of plastic.
I don't mean to be rude. I just call it like I see it.

SNKEBIT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Then I guess since he has these made than one would asume the $200.00 price is primarily based on the fact that it's going on a High end vehicle and not on what it really costs to manufacture. :nono: It might be a better design but quality and design are two defferent categories. I prefer Quality. I don't know where you get "crappy" from since people break them, they don't break on their own. Also, Keep in mind we are talking about .75 cents worth of plastic.
I don't mean to be rude. I just call it like I see it.

Do you have any idea what R&D costs??? I've been down this road with trying to make low cost parts etc. for a low production car. You cannot recoup your R&D if you only charge .50$ apiece and maybe sell 100 of them as opposed to selling 3,000 for the high production honda.

btw, dodges version is alot thinner, (prone to break), than the piece Paul has made. Which fits and looks exactly the same, BUT BETTER. I have replaced these with Pauls piece. NO COMPARISON.

You have no clue:dunno::nono:

Try to educate people..........................

OP
OP

10 BANGER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do you have any idea what R&D costs??? I've been down this road with trying to make low cost parts etc. for a low production car. You cannot recoup your R&D if you only charge .50$ apiece and maybe sell 100 of them as opposed to selling 3,000 for the high production honda.

btw, dodges version is alot thinner, (prone to break), than the piece Paul has made. Which fits and looks exactly the same, BUT BETTER. I have replaced these with Pauls piece. NO COMPARISON.

You have no clue:dunno::nono:

Try to educate people..........................

It's a piece of molding. Not rocket science.
Research and development for this "molding" is so simple a cave man can do it.(I just had to say that).
I've done R&D on a daily basis on commercial/military jets for 22 yrs. I think I know what I'm talking about.
Still, $200.00 a piece????

Viper Wizard

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Research and development for this "molding" is so simple a cave man can do it.(I just had to say that).
I've done R&D on a daily basis on commercial/military jets for 22 yrs. I think I know what I'm talking about.

Well then, you've just found yourself a new income in this economy! :cool: I'll buy for a hundred....:money: [I just had to say that] :smirk:

Canyon707

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had the same issue when I had new speakers installed. They broke both sides. I had to buy a new door panel. I see what they mean when they say Dodge interiors are cheap. Cheaply made for sure. Costly to replace.

CPPRHD265

Enthusiast
Reaction score

You think that's bad, wait till you want to put in a 1 inch seat lowering rail bracket... :omg:

A1998

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not having to mess with this problem at this time but later down the road. It would be nice if someone could do an illustrated DIY for people that are eventually going to run into this problem. Anyone want to volunteer??? :dunno:

OP
OP

10 BANGER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not having to mess with this problem at this time but later down the road. It would be nice if someone could do an illustrated DIY for people that are eventually going to run into this problem. Anyone want to volunteer??? :dunno:

Working on it.

slysnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, they break because we don't know how to remove them, not because they're crappy. Now that I've done it I think I could do it again without breaking it this time.

or pay 200 for the better designed piece from Paul, put it in once and done
I'm interested in buying. Is there a picture or link to these? How are they different, how do the attach? How about JonB's, same questions.

SNKEBIT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, they break because we don't know how to remove them, not because they're crappy. Now that I've done it I think I could do it again without breaking it this time.

I'm interested in buying. Is there a picture or link to these? How are they different, how do the attach? How about JonB's, same questions.

The top part of the factory piece is really thin. The ones Paul sells are thicker in the "break zone". They "snap" onto to panel. One could glue them on but I left them loose. They fit snug enuff to not come off and if someone wants to take the panel off at a later date it makes it easier. I think Jon sells the same piece.

OP
OP

10 BANGER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Like i said, That's how i bought the car. I now realize the #7 piece is not the correct part. It's the one stapled on the top of the door panel as mentioned above.

Can someone post a pic of the part we are talking about. Please

Pics are above. its the piece that sits above the door panel.
First pic shows it above door handle.

slysnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just to update this thread a little.

I called Jon, he says he doesn't carry the after market item discussed here. He did have several OEM passenger side ones but none for the driver's side at this time.

I have a call in to Paul now to see if I can get it from him.

tucker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does anyone know of a fix for the plastic surround by the door handle on the interior panel? They have the latex type coating on them, and mine are peeling, and it drives me crazy.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rmoore8950