doors on a 92-5 RT

ohiodoc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is there a way to have a gen 1 viper open it's door by remote, since there isnt a door handle on the outside. Can you do this with out spending a ton of money having someone customize it.

LETHAL GTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Yes!

Acctualy my '94 came with a remote key fob. It doesn't work, but it was suppose to have popped the doors by remote.
I'm sure someone could shed more light on this subject.

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Look in the illustrated upgrades (under "How To" in the top menu above). Clear directions on how to do it. I did mine, both drivers and passengers. I don't have the passengers connected as I have no idea how as the RT/10 only has 1 lock/unlock button.

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's a great add-on, did it a while ago. Do add the extra ground, otherwise relying on the hinge for ground sometimes doesn't work and you have to "lean" on the door to make electrical contact.

There are two buttons available; the alarm off (unlock) can simultaneously be used to open the door, the trunk button can then be used for the passenger door.

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Trunk only available with Gen II. Gen I remotes only have lock and unlock.

Greg W

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My '94 came with a trunk button on the key fob. I used this for the passenger side remote, along with a button under the dash. It's all in the illustrated upgrades.

My key fob may have been replaced with a Gen II at some point, since I was the third owner, I'm not sure what's stock.

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am the original owner of my 1995 and this is the original key fob.
225Key_Fob.jpg

If a Gen II fob works it would be great. Anyone know for sure and if it can be programmed to allow both driver and passenger sides independently.

ROCKET62

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
"How To" section provides all the details. I installed the door poppers on my '93. First door will take about 5 hours and the second will take about 1 (also a good time to replace door speakers if inclined). My '93 FOB did have a trunk button which I used for the passenger door.

I can't verify this, but the "not used" connector or even the "Trunk connector" on the TRW receiver may be the answer for those without a trunk button wanting a passenger door popper. These connectors MAY be activated by depressing the single door button on the FOB twice (quickly) - thus providing the circuit to open the passenger door?

My only challenge with the poppers - my passenger door opens MOST of the time. I may need to align the door so that it opens more freely. I haven't talked to the people at VPA (per the how to) to see if the "Heavier Duty" poppers may have been a better solution.

Good Luck!

ruckdr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ron - ViperSRT,
To have the passenger door open, use the push button supplied with the solenoid kit. Yes, I know, this is not remote, but I open mine, then push the button for my wife. Installed the push button on the left side of the driver knee panel under the light switch.

ROCKET62,
The solenoids, as you know, only trip the door latch.
I haven't done it yet, but the spring loaded "poppers",
link below should push the door open. I am thinking of installing at the rear lower corner of the door, mounted in the plastic door sill. Product # 80358
http://power98.net/poweraccessory/
Later,

ruckdr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ohiodoc,
As others have said - YES.
Use the link below:
http://power98.net/powerdoor/

Order 2 kits, Part # 80138 at $21.06 each plus shipping
Install yourself or with some friendly Viper support.
Follow the instructions in the "How To" section of this forum.
Questions, email me.
Later,

NapaRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I seem to remember a thread awhile back where if you have
the door poppers, manualy lock doors and hit the remote button on key fob to unlock doors it jams the door mechanism. You then have to take door apart to repair.
Anybody else remember this?

Ken

ruckdr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ken,
YES, the best way to avoid this is to disconnect the manual lock rod that runs from the lock rocker switch (manual rocker), and tape it inside the door.
I thought I submitted a update to the Illustrated Upgrades, but I don't see it there.
Yes: here it is from my Word documents:

USAGE TIP #1 MANUAL DOOR LOCKS

Just a piece of information that you will probably find "common sense", but just in case:

Remember the door openers function just like your door handles, only electrically;
THEREFORE, DO NOT ROTATE THE MANUAL DOOR LOCK TO THE LOCK POSITION when exiting the car and activiting your alarm, if you just leave the car not alarmed and use the unlock button (key fob) to pop open the door. The electric opener WILL NOT release the manual door lock, just like the door handles will not release the lock allowing the door to open.

Later,

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang