DOT 3 or DOT 4 for Brakes & Clutch on 2001?

smashman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
2001 RT/10. Owners Manual says to use DOT 4, but both reservoir caps say use DOT 3. Which is correct and which would the car have been filled with at the factory? Brake Fluid looks a little low. If it's dot 3 and I top off the reservoir with DOT 4 will they mix?
Suggestions?
Yes, I know-need to do a brake & clutch flush asap. Just noticed the manual says every 2 years.

Thanks in advance.

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would use what the owner's manual says. Also, the factory service manual says the following: "The Viper comes with, and the manufacturer recommends, brake fluid conforming to DOT 4 specifications. If DOT 4 brake fluid is not available, DOT 3 brake fluid is fully compatible with DOT 4, and can be substituted in its absence."

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Viper clutch fluid reservoir caps all say DOT 3 through 2010...in spite of the fact that the factory fill was DOT 4 from 1999 -2010.

Dave1968

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The only difference is the temperature rating of the two. Use the higher rated fluid - Dot 4

Dave1968

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Point taken, however for our needs, temp is the major factor and I would always use the higher temp.

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Maybe the answer is to use Dot 4 for track use, but you need to change it more often.
Use Dot 3 for street use, or if you change the fluid less often than every 2 years.

Mopar Steve

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't forget is going up in brake fluid temp rating the entire system must be flushed. simply adding a higher temp fluid to the resivoir will do no good. The temp rating will be that of the lowest fluid in the mix.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21