Downshifting on highway

jimmy6383

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think somewhere on here I have read where someone said to be careful about downshifting at highway speeds into lower gears. Something about how it has caused a lot of accidents. I don't think it is a problem, just blip the throttle to match the RPM's for a smooth shift, right?:dunno: Sorry just having major Viper withdrawals living in the north and all and trying to discuss anything to do with Vipers. I think I have spent more time on this forum this winter then I have anywhere else...... spring spring spring SPRING please!!:(

viperdude118

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Downshifting to 5th to pass on the highway and hitting 3rd instead is enough to make anyones heart skip a beat. Only happened to me once a long while ago, it is mistake I'll never make again.

Need1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Downshifting to 5th to pass on the highway and hitting 3rd instead is enough to make anyones heart skip a beat. Only happened to me once a long while ago, it is mistake I'll never make again.
Yes I've done that.

I'm always a little slower on those shifts now...

RichieSRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nathan you need to come for a ride with me. How have you been? Drop me a line we need to get together. We have a ride coming up next month

Burntrubber

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Matching rpm's on any downshift is a must without abs, yaw and the such.

I can downshift from 5th to 3rd @ 50mph and you would never know I shifted. Just have to drive the car enough to know what rpm's are at what speed:drive:

tbsviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hitting second from third instead of fourth will make the car quiver but easily recoverable. Other owners have done this so need to be alert or compensate by turning your wrist.

yogibayer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
From 6th at 65 MPH I usually search for 3rd to pass. I haven't noticed any missed heat beats, but I'll keep an eye out for that. 5th just doesn't get it done for me.

DII

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have no trouble dropping to 3rd from 6th or 5th. What I find really helps with the Viper is just matching revs to go to 3d, and if going any lower (ie, 2nd for a exit etc) is to let the clutch out SLOWLY. This allows the compression to build gradually rather than snapping (which will cause the rear wheels to lock).

I actually just go back and forth between 5th 4th and 3rd to practice my rev mathcing. Nothing beats a perfectly matched downshift, its like the stars align or something! lol

viperdude118

Viper Owner
Reaction score
From 6th at 65 MPH I usually search for 3rd to pass. I haven't noticed any missed heat beats, but I'll keep an eye out for that. 5th just doesn't get it done for me.

Yeah, but you were looking for 3rd. I was looking for 5th, and got 3rd by mistake. I forgot to mention there was a dumptruck coming in the other direction so I was trying to get around the car fast and wasn't lolly gagging with the shifts.

3rd's no problem for me when I expect it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rot8te