Downshifting?

Satchmo72

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have been cruising my 97 more and was on the highway tonight, I went to pass a truck while I was in 5th and downshifted to 4th which still did not seem like enough to get around as quick as I wanted. Would I actually come down into 3rd? I am afraid of that big of drop spinning the car.

Thoughts?

JLorello

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Depends on what speed you were at. 3rd is good for about 120-125.

Only time my rears get squirley is when I drop into the high revs for 2nd gear (5000+) and don't rev match.

Give the throttle a quick blip to help match the revs and gets much smoother.

xRUSTYx

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Assuming you rev match dropping from 5th to 3rd, you should have no issues :)

No Rev Match - You'll get a healthy jolt of .... darn, should have rev matched :)

Dale.Volz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Stating the obvious, but I assure you it's possible: Be oh-so-careful that you don't accidentally catch 1st gear instead of 3rd.

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Be oh-so-careful that you don't accidentally catch 1st gear instead of 3rd.

It could be that everyone in the world knows this, but I learned this just a few years ago......that third gear on most transmissions is "centered", as in if the car is in neutral and the shift lever is allowed to find its "center", then third gear is always straight up from there. Helpful if you're ever trying a more-than-one-gear shift, especially around a hard right turn....where the g's will encourage you to grab 1st when you were shooting for 3rd......

Oh yeah, and rev match.....

Mad Max

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Depends on what speed you were at. 3rd is good for about 120-125.

Only time my rears get squirley is when I drop into the high revs for 2nd gear (5000+) and don't rev match.

Give the throttle a quick blip to help match the revs and gets much smoother.

I was just at the drag strip with my 98 with stock gears; went 118 in 3rd and hit the limiter at the finish line.

Brent

Last edited:

Lespauldude

Viper Owner
Reaction score
It could be that everyone in the world knows this, but I learned this just a few years ago......that third gear on most transmissions is "centered", as in if the car is in neutral and the shift lever is allowed to find its "center", then third gear is always straight up from there. Helpful if you're ever trying a more-than-one-gear shift, especially around a hard right turn....where the g's will encourage you to grab 1st when you were shooting for 3rd......

That is correct. The springs will always re-center (in neutral) to the center of the shift pattern. Just last month I was explaining this to my son when I was out in the car with him. Talk about learning how to drive a manual transmission in a car with this much power(LOL). :drive:

VYPR BYT 94

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Rev-match it!....

sorry eucharistos but I was feeling left out. :D

seriously - just keep your foot in it and there is no prob.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
questions like this amaze me. you obviously need to learn how to drive, consider a driving school before you hurt someone or yourself

kblake905

Viper Owner
Reaction score
questions like this amaze me. you obviously need to learn how to drive, consider a driving school before you hurt someone or yourself
Good advice above!
I am thinking that he learned how to drive with an automatic and this is his first standard.....
They say there is no such thing as a stupid question....:nono:

OP
OP
S

Satchmo72

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Ughh, there is always a **** answer.

Thanks for your answers guys. I asked the question because I had not done it with a car that could tear your head off if you make a mistake and everyone always said "take it easy with this car as you get used to it?"

Last edited:

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
3rd gear in a Viper feels like the hand of God is pushing you forward. It is perhaps the most fantastic gear, in the most fantastic car.

The very flexible 3rd gear allows full throttle application on most clean roads. The pull is long and powerful. The engine gets a chance to clear it's throat, and really put down all the V-10 power. There is time to appreciate the exhaust sounds as the revs rise.

In the lower gears everything happens so fast, it is more like hanging on. In higher gears the pull is not quiet as impressive, but third gear is magic : >)

OP
OP
S

Satchmo72

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, took a nice long drive this morning and without killing anyone or myself, I tried rev-matching, only to learn I instinctively do it anyway. Had a jolt or two as I overrevved but for the most part, it was ok.

Ahhhh, third gear, between 2nd and 3rd, those two are my favorite but I got on on some curvy backroads and just left it in third. Torque when you need it and fairly low revs.

Thanks!!!!

OP
OP
S

Satchmo72

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good advice above!
I am thinking that he learned how to drive with an automatic and this is his first standard.....
They say there is no such thing as a stupid question....:nono:

I'm thinking the standard I did learn to drive with was a late 70's corolla, not exactly a torque monster. Had automatics since, even in my 12 sec Roadrunner

Husker

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Shifting from 5th to 3rd is not a problem in the 50 - 60 mph range.

I have done this on several occasions when passing someone who likes to drive 50 mph in a 60 mph zone (I have found that the Viper really does not like 5th gear at 50 mph). 3rd gear will carry up to at least 90 mph...not sure why I know this.

I have always been told to treat your "GO" pedal like you have an egg under your foot and you dont want break it no matter how fast you are going...you can be fairly firm with the pedal. DO NOT jump on it/mash the pedal or you could spin the tires or throw the back end out while changing lanes.

Be smooth in your acceleration and smooth on your shifts back up. Also want to be smooth when changing lanes...do not snap the car into the next lane. Smoooooooth transitions is the key with this car to keep it on the road.

Most importantly...Rev Match.

OP
OP
S

Satchmo72

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Shifting from 5th to 3rd is not a problem in the 50 - 60 mph range.

I have done this on several occasions when passing someone who likes to drive 50 mph in a 60 mph zone (I have found that the Viper really does not like 5th gear at 50 mph). 3rd gear will carry up to at least 90 mph...not sure why I know this.

I have always been told to treat your "GO" pedal like you have an egg under your foot and you dont want break it no matter how fast you are going...you can be fairly firm with the pedal. DO NOT jump on it/mash the pedal or you could spin the tires or throw the back end out while changing lanes.

Be smooth in your acceleration and smooth on your shifts back up. Also want to be smooth when changing lanes...do not snap the car into the next lane. Smoooooooth transitions is the key with this car to keep it on the road.

Most importantly...Rev Match.

Thanks Husker, that is exactly where I was at 60MPH and needing to change lanes. The "go" pedal comment has been planted firmly in my mind since the first day I got it. I have never had a car that had the capability of reacting like this one does, it is like nothing else.

Rev-Matching is the key, I have been actively learning the car.

Jeff

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If i know that i will be or want to be in 3rd shortly but not right Now then i will first easy revmatch to 4rth without accelerating. Then when i am ready to kill something i will blip rev about 500 over the match and drop 3rd to take off like a _____ _____ ____:drive:

So, Two diff types of rev-matching for me in that situation. But honestly 4rth is usualy plenty for the freeways that i run. Im usually rollin at 80 in 6th and thinking about going to 4rth using the above technique.

Hoosier Daddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Helpful if you're ever trying a more-than-one-gear shift, especially around a hard right turn....where the g's will encourage you to grab 1st when you were shooting for 3rd......

If your trying to shift gears during hard turns you will eventually be a casualty. You might get lucky or you might not. Just the weight transfer to the front wheels when pushing in the clutch is enough to upset the rear end and have it come around on you on a hard turn. Messing with the throttle position in a hard turn other than maybe giving it a little more maintenance throttle is a wreck ready to happen.

Cobraken

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Legal answer: If you can't accelerate to the legal speed limit at a reasonable and prudent rate and get around the truck safely, you cannot pass. Seriously, we would need to know how fast you were going (ie RPM's) at start to decide which gear would be appropriate though 3rd gear is usually the best passing gear.

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If your trying to shift gears during hard turns you will eventually be a casualty. You might get lucky or you might not. Just the weight transfer to the front wheels when pushing in the clutch is enough to upset the rear end and have it come around on you on a hard turn. Messing with the throttle position in a hard turn other than maybe giving it a little more maintenance throttle is a wreck ready to happen.

Thanks for the tip. I'll remember that next time I exit T7 at Road Atlanta.....I guess I should wait until after T8 to shift.

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thats funny, however, The Most Interesting Man in the World would not say that.

Steve M

Enthusiast
Reaction score

A driving school would just tell you to put it in 4th and leave it there, so that wouldn't help much either.

But a gear ratio calculator, on the other hand, is a big help. I like this one: http://xse.com/leres/ss/calculator.html

Put in your tire size, gear ratios, and RPM limit, and it'll tell you just how fast you can go in each gear. For my Gen IV, a highway speed quick pass around a truck would be done in 2nd if I was in a big hurry.