Drag racers; can you analyze this?

MHQC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
First time dragging the Viper on Saturday. First things first, hats off to the guys and gals running low 12's and high 11's (I think genxgts dropped a 12,26 his first run!!). I was not near this, all I have to say "well done"! I had 2 runs. I drove around the water box and did not burn out. All tires at 29psi.

Reac.T; 60ft; mph; 1/8; mph2; 1/4
0.645; 2.21; 84.43; 8.90; 111.11; 13.365
run 2
0.692; 2.13; 87.55; 8.38; 100.67; 12.835

On the 2nd run my hardtop unclipped in the back so I ended up hitting the brakes before the line...car is stock; except smooth tubes and the K & N's, with about 25000 miles. This was the opening day for the track, so I found out later that everyone was having trouble hooking up. I was the the 2nd guy down the track. The second run was after the prostock boys had gone down twice so everyone said the track was getting better. I was letting the clutch out at about 1800 and feathered it through the gears and shiftin' at 5500 rpm's. I am pretty discouraged...I have only dragraced mildly with the vette. So I have three questions...

1. what can you say about the times? Need not worry about feelings here. Just be honest and critical.
2. I think I will order the BTR video on drag racing; any feedback?
3. I DC going to give me problems if I break parts in the driveline at an event like this? I am so paranoid about breaking something...even with the gold warranty until 2008.

p.s. I was the first Viper at this track. It was a big hit. People knew right off the bat that it is a hard car to launch so they were pretty cool and didn't rag on me too much :laugh: . They hope I come back.

thanks gang,

J DAWG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Michael, as far as times all I can say is practice, practice, and more practice. The Viper isn't the easiest car to run at the strip. Nothing to be ashamed about. Your car certainly is capable of low 12's now you just have to get the driver capable of those times.

I have heard good well great things about the BTR video. I think I will break down and order it as well.

Even though you have street tires, definetly(IMO) lower you pressures to 22-24 HOT and do a burnout without water and that should help.

60 foot is the most critical so definetly practice the launch. Glad to see your going to the track. It's a blast!

John

Craig 201 MPH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just learn the car and don't rush, better to be slow and steady than push it when you aren't ready and smack it up into the wall. What's more embarassing high 12's or flatbedding it home for all to see?

Only part of the driveline you should worry about with stock tires/power are halfshafts at the most.

OP
OP
M

MHQC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What's more embarassing high 12's or flatbedding it home for all to see?

Craig, you have the ability to put things back into perspective...thanks.

John, duely noted, 22-24 eh? I'll try this next weekend.

V10 MOJO

Enthusiast
Reaction score
J smith is right on the money with his advice. my first drag racing event, the V10 nationals, i ended up with a personal best in 12.3's. since then, ive been going about every week and ive got down to an 11.88. my car has headers, corsa, tubes and filters. i also did a gear swap to 3:55 (which may end up hurting me now). i figure my car is capable of 11.5's but im not that good yet and it surely is driver error. 60' is the key. now with line lock installed, if i can get my 60' down in the 1.4's, im at 11.5's no problem.

upgrade those halfshafts if you start dragging often

genXgts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Mike, glad to see you out having a blast!!

Keep in mind, the only run your basing anything off is your first one, as you backed off the second one.

To base anything on that is nuts, get out and have some more fun.

Your 60 foots on both runs are not horrendous, anything around 2.0 is nice, and sub 2.0 is great. On stock tires the best on this board run 1.6x-1.7x on hard hitting tracks so things are good there.

Your total MPH is off heavy, should be more 116-120. Again your first run was feeling things out, 2nd was a blow out from the top problem, but look at the 1/8 mph things were starting to pick up over the first run already.

Keep up the good work and let us know how it goes, I ran a decent 12.4 first time out and have it 12.1's at 119ish on 6 year old MXX3s. Really like to see some 11's this year with the Kumhos. (Which are over half gone in 6 weeks FWIW).

Keep in touch,

Torquemonster

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just to cheer you up a bit - your reaction times were both very good for your first ever race - only practise gets them down into the 0.5's... so getting off the cluctch was very well done for first attempt!

You do need to heat the tires though - so don't skip the water next time ;)

you don't need to try and run a half track burn out from hell - but you do need to get em hot enough to make some good ol smoke :cool: smokin them a bit longer helps keep the heat in otherwise they cool down real quick and not much is gained... so that's why some guys will do another little spin up just as they come up to stage - to get a bit more temp back

Everything else is just practice.... you've got the basics. Also, bear in mind that the high 11's in stock Vipers are often done with gear changes so swift that the risk of gear failure is high if its not perfect - so there's a trade off for ultra fast shifts - the slower one-pause-one shift extends the life of your trans... your choice.

Mike Brunton

Enthusiast
Reaction score
MHQC,

There are only two things you need to do to get your Viper into the 11's.

The first is launch it hard. To do this, you need to rev alot higher than 1,800. The car doesn't have enough torque and driveline inertia to launch without any bog from 1,800RPM. You need to rev to 2,500-3,000 and use the clutch to control wheelspin. You can only launch as hard as the track will allow... but this method will get you 1.6 second 60' times if the track is good. If you did that, you would be running more like 12.3-12.5. Forget about playing with tire pressure - I've tried every trick in the book and spent hours upon hours playing with tire pressure. Tom's method is pretty good, but it's un-scientific and if you're not going to spend hours adjusting pressure and doing alot of burnouts, leave the pressure at what Michelin specified (which gives you a pretty optimum contact patch as is). Dropping tire pressure doesn't give you a po-boy slick, it just makes the tire buckle in the middle and you get worse times. Leave 'em at 29 all around.

The second thing you need to do is stop granny shifting :) That is why your MPH is so low. You must be shifting like you're on a sunday cruise. You need to shift AS QUICK AS HUMANLY POSSIBLE. You're making 3 shifts - even if you're doing it in 1/5th of a second, if you can get that down to 1/10th of a second, then you just picked up a few tenths. Shift ALOT more quickly (stab clutch, don't let up on gas all the way, just a little, bang the next gear, drop clutch) and your MPH will rise accordingly.

I was stalled at 116-117mph until I started really concentrating on shifting. Then my MPH went up to 120+ (even made it to 121mph).

My first few times out, I figured I'd be in the 11's being so great of a driver and all... I launched OK, floored it, shifted, and ran something like a 12.8. I was bummed. I launched harder and one time it felt "real good" and I was sure it was an 11-sec run, but it was a 12.3@116. Over the next couple of years, I practiced and learned what I wrote above, and ended up with a best of [email protected] or so, on a hot day... and I've been able to consistently exceed 120mph in trap speed.

This was a 98 GTS with smooth tubes that dynoed 414RWHP and 465RWTQ.

fuelman

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
MHQC,

Front tires 45 psi, rears 20-22 psi, this does work if you use 29-30 psi in your tires you will probably burn all through 1st gear, especailly if you lauch above 2500 rpm. I would not recommend putting your tires in the water box, most tracks do not want radial street tires going into the water box as they know they will hold more water than a drag type tire even after the burnout, and it can drag water up to and over the starting line. Shifting is very important, shift the car as fast as you can this will make a big difference every once in a while you will grab a gear to fast and it is a horrible sound and feeling but these trannys are pretty tough. On a stock Viper I don't think you have to worry about braking too much. Good reaction times for the first time out with your Viper.

OP
OP
M

MHQC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great feedback as usual from everyone. I will "tinker" with what everybody has said. Despite some different opinions, the point about shifting fast is common. Glad to know these tranny's are as tough as everyone says they are.

I plan on racing this Wednesday night. This drag racing can get really addictive... :D

fearsuch

Viper Owner
Reaction score
what does everyone think of the 5500 rpm?
would changing that to say 5400 might help him out a bit?

J DAWG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
what does everyone think of the 5500 rpm?
would changing that to say 5400 might help him out a bit?

I usually try to shift at 5800, then 5700 ish and then 5500 ish. (2nd,3rd,4th)

BigCarrot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Skip the waterbox! For God's sake, what are you tryin to teach this boy?! NEVER hit the waterbox on street tires! The tread holds water and drips it out at the starting line causing you to spin.

genXgts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm with Carrot, skip the box and do a "********" outside of the box, a simple spin for a few turns of the tire to get any gravel or other crud off the tread for grip off the line.

As for RPM I go 6000 1 to 2, and then back down to 5500-5700 for the 2 to 3 and third to 4th, and have MPH in the 119.x range when all goes well.

I gotta get out this year, haven't dragged yet!!!

fearsuch

Viper Owner
Reaction score
doesnt the v10 make peak power at 5200 rpm?
I would say taking it to 6000 would be to much and it will kill time. try shifting each gear at 5400 then go to 5500 and note the difference and then make a decision

Nexus-6

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Street tires = skip the water box! You'll kill your launch AND piss of everyone behind you when spread water all over the place as it sprays out of the tread.

OP
OP
M

MHQC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
interesting to see how there are so many different opinions for the same car...

Can everyone concur that lauching @ 1700 R.P.M is too low? Keep in mind I want to replicate real world conditions, so I would be leaving the tires @ 29 psi.

J DAWG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mike, 1700 is definetly to low. Skip the box, Take advantage of the track(not real road conditions). DROP THE PSI TO 22 - 24 HOT. Do a good burnout and PRACTICE.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang