DRAG RAC'IN QUESTION

Mike-Tampa

Enthusiast
Reaction score
DRAG RAC\'IN QUESTION

I'M TAKING MY '05 VIPER TO THE GAINESVILLE (FL) RACEWAY FOR VIPER'S ONLY DRAG STRIP NEXT MONTH AND I'M NOT TOTALLY SURE WHAT'S REQUIRED. DO I NEED THE MIN REQUIREMENTS FOR NHRA SUCH AS LONG PANTS AND A HELMET. WILL A DOT APPROVED HELMET, LIKE FOR A MOTORCYCLE BE OKAY? I WOULD APPRECIATE "ANY" HELP.
LAST TIME I DRAG RACED ALL YOU NEEDED WAS A CAR, GAS AND A GIRL.

THANKS, MIKE

Black SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: DRAG RAC\'IN QUESTION

Mike,

You should be fine with the things you've suggested. Good luck and have fun.

I think the reason you've had no responses to your post is because of your use of all cap's. Some people seem to get irritated about everything around here.

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score

NHRA tracks have told me 12.50 minimum due to the convertible. Anyhthing lower and you need a roll bar.

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I believe the new NHRA rules are that you can go as low as 11.50 on any stock vehicle, including convertibles, with NO modifications (no roll bar, etc.):

http://www.nhra.com/2004/news/june/062202.html

"As an example, under existing Summit E.T. rules, a convertible running 13.99 and quicker must have a driveshaft loop and roll bar. Under the new rules, a pure-stock street-legal car will not require this equipment unless it runs 11.49 or quicker."

That same article shows the following requirements for helmets and other clothing:

Helmets
Drivers in all 13.99 (8.59 eighth-mile) or quicker cars must wear a helmet meeting Snell 90, 95, K98, 2000 or SFI 31.1A, 31.2A, 41.1A, or 41.2A Specs. (editor's note: This includes motorcycle helmets)

Protective Clothing
All drivers are required to wear full-length pants, shoes, and socks. Nylon or nylon-type clothing and open-toe shoes prohibited. Shorts, bare legs, tank tops, or bare torsos prohibited.

Good luck, and have a GREAT time!

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Thanks but that was not the rule applied at St. Louis during the recent rendezvous. There a big fat bastage told me directly 12.5 minimum (he was looking at the supercharger so that may have affected him).

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Sometimes the inspector will request you wear a nomex, or other fireproof baclava under your motorcycle helmet. This is because, while auto helmets have fire resistant liners, cycle helmets do not.

The "all stock" NHRA rules allow you to essentially "run what you brung" , but once you modify your car, you must have additional safety equipment.

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Thanks but that was not the rule applied at St. Louis during the recent rendezvous. There a big fat bastage told me directly 12.5 minimum (he was looking at the supercharger so that may have affected him).

From the above NHRA link:

"Within the framework of the street-legal category, the following technical rules and regulations will apply for Pure Stock Street Legal vehicles that run 11.50 or slower. Pure Stock Street Legal rules are specifically intended for street-legal vehicles that are production stock, as manufactured and sold by the original automobile manufacturer. For street-legal cars other than Pure Stock, tech rules and regulations are the same as those in the NHRA Summit Racing Series E.T. vehicle section of the NHRA Rulebook. Once any power adders or performance hardware are added to a Pure Stock Street Legal vehicle, it is then also classified as an E.T. vehicle."

Mopar426

Enthusiast
Reaction score

NHRA tracks have told me 12.50 minimum due to the convertible. Anyhthing lower and you need a roll bar.

Guess it depends on how much the particular track enforces the rule. The have C5 Verts here in the mid 11's and they are letting them run with just the ragtop. With my hardtop on my Vette they give me ZERO problems running low 11's.

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Gee I do not remeber stock C5 convertibles running low 11's. Sounds like a lack of enforcement.

Now please tell how a ruling body would state a modified car cannot run as fast as the stock version of the same car. If stock is safe for that speed than so should modified. Guess I can only try it on the street where it is really safe :(

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
potterb4