Drag racing questions

vinman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm going to venture out to Great LAkes Dragaway tomorrow.. first time running the Snake..and I have a couple of quick questions:

1) Tire pressure? what should I be running in the rear tires?

2) Does powershifting serve any purpose with street tires? seems to me, on the street it just gives me wheelspin. any feedback is welcome.

pauls

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Your gona find power shifting near impossible with a rail shifting trans like the T-56. Don't burr your gears, let off,speed shift the lever, nail the throttle again.

Dixter

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Be a little careful of how hard you throw the shifter too....
These transmissions can have the shifting forks bent....

toddt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by eng12:
Hey Scott
40 psi in the front (less mass)
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

more mass.

treynor

Enthusiast
Reaction score
&gt; more mass

Darn, somebody beat me to it
smile.gif
More mass, less rolling resistance. And don't speed shift; although you will NOT exceed your redline (that's what rev limiters are for) you will lose traction in the 1-2 shift, and it puts a lot of strain on the driveline.

Mike Brunton

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't speed shift?

You need to if you want to get a good time. I'd say don't powershift, but speed shifting is mandatory.

Disclaimer:

1) Powershifting - keeping the gas to the floor during a shift
2) Speedshifting - letting off the gas just a tad to avoid hitting redline while shifting
3) Shifting - letting off the gas as usual when shifting

Rich01RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Quote&gt;&gt; "although you will NOT exceed your redline (that's what rev limiters are for)"

Ben, et al -
If the clutch is in (no load on the engine) does the rev limiter protect the engine? I remember reading here some time ago that if there is no load on the engine, the rev limiter does not work. I have been wondering about this for a while.
Thanks -

motor602

Enthusiast
Reaction score
so do all those motor trend 12.2 ET's come with powershifting or speedshifting or what? If you were to shift regularly, how badly is it going to affect your ET?

jcaspar1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"If the clutch is in (no load on the engine) does the rev limiter protect the engine? I remember reading here some time ago that if there is no load on the engine, the rev limiter does not work. I have been wondering about this for a while."

Rich,
The rev limiter will cut off fuel when rpm exceeds redline and will prevent over reving even with the clutch disengaged. You can overrev the engine by miss shifting 3rd to 2nd as the car's speed will overrev the engine even with the fuel cut off.

pauls

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd love to hear a sound clip of TNT505 pass with the power shifting. 11.50 with a TNT 505 kit sounds a little tame for that technique.

utahviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I used to powershift my 97 gts all the time, especially at the race track. However, I do not power shift from 2-3 because almost every time I did not get into 3rd properly it would push the "cyncrownizers?" forward and dodge would have to replace the transmission. In my runs at the track it was good for between .1-.2's. My 0-60 times were always .1 faster when powershifting. I probably have some video if anyone wants to hear it.

I currently don't power shift my 650 at the track because it rev's up much faster.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang