drag racing times / magazine vs. real times

riwracer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would like to try to clear up some of these magazine times on the SRT-10.
At the DeSoto Viper event over a year ago, I ran 11.9 with 1200 miles on the car and no mods. Two other 03 Vipers were at the same track. A red one ran 11.9 which was also stock, and a third one ran 11.7 with no air filter and no other mods.
Having been to the same track with my 2000 Viper GT with mopar exhausts and a KnN filter. I ran a best of 12.3. Incidently, my E55 also ran 12.3 and my 2002 Z06 ran a 12.8.
The point of this post is that the SRT-10 is clearly a sub 12.0 car. Even in the hands of a very average driver such as myself. I would ignore any magazine times which put the SRT-10 as a 12.2 car.
By the way, my SRT-10 is a far better car than my 2000 GTS in every way with possibly the exception of looks.
:2tu: riwracer

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bradenton goops up the track pretty good for the Viper events. The times are relative. The cars need to be run on the same day or even better at the same time of day to make accurate comparisons.

That being said, I agree with you and can vouch for those sub 12 bone stock SRT numbers as I've seen them many times.

I have never seen a bone stock GTS run sub 12. Folks say they've done it, maybe they have. I'm just saying all the Vipers I've seen drag I've never seen a sub 12 from a stocker GenII. My best is 12.05.

Viperfreak2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Maybe the mags could all chip in and buy a 1/4 mile strip. Then they could build a roof over it and keep the temp at 70 degrees. All could use it for thier 'official times'.

On top gear, they run all the cars on the same track, same driver (the stig?). The SRT-10 was run in the rain. That's all they can do when they only have the car a short time....in England.

BigCarrot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bradenton goops up the track pretty good for the Viper events. The times are relative. The cars need to be run on the same day or even better at the same time of day to make accurate comparisons.

That being said, I agree with you and can vouch for those sub 12 bone stock SRT numbers as I've seen them many times.

I have never seen a bone stock GTS run sub 12. Folks say they've done it, maybe they have. I'm just saying all the Vipers I've seen drag I've never seen a sub 12 from a stocker GenII. My best is 12.05.

I ran 11.46 in my ACR. I removed the cats and rear muffler, but it was stock otherwise. I put it on the dyno before and after, and I think I netted 7hp from doing it.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I ran 11.46 in my ACR. I removed the cats and rear muffler, but it was stock otherwise. I put it on the dyno before and after, and I think I netted 7hp from doing it.

You must've had somebody else driving it. :)

kaval

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The first time I had ever drag raced was in my SRT this

summer. My best time out of 4 runs was 12.18 with 36 psi

in tires. With more practice and set up I bet I could be

a lot faster. I obliterated all but on Gen II. Track was

in NW Indiana for what its worth.

kaval

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The first time I had ever drag raced was in my SRT this

summer. My best time out of 4 runs was 12.18 with 36 psi

in tires. With more practice and set up I bet I could be

a lot faster. I obliterated all but on Gen II. Track was

in NW Indiana for what its worth.

Viperfreak2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The run flats are better with higher pressure. I dunno why. I ran, lowered the pressure...went slower, lowered it again...went slower, put it down until the lo tire thingy wouldn't shut up....went slower. Came back the next week, same temps, tires at 33 ran better. increased to 36, ran better. Best run was 7.9 @ 94mph. Worst run the week before was 8.4 at 88mph (1/8th mile)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cookviper