Drag Radials.... does anyone use them for normal street driving?

vicj

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'm interested in purchasing a used wheel/tire package--CCW wheels (new Kuhmos on the front / Hoosier Drag Radials mounted on the rears. Any chance the rears (with Drag Radials)can be used for a while for normal street driving!? Don't want to have to spend more money to replace them right away if I don't have to.

I have a 97 GTS that is driven only on weekends if that makes any difference.

I have NO experience with drag radials. PROS/CONS of street use from those that know!?

Thanks in advance for your inputs

Canyon707

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would not run them on the street. I have driven to the strip with them on and thats all I needed to know. Really a different animal than PS2 . They run well hot but, .... Ran MT Drag radials to the strip also not as bad but, again really no handling. Just bought a set of M&H Racemasters have yet to try them. There really designed for straight line racing.IMO

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I run Nitto drag radials on my supercharged Challenger. ( It burns the tires off with the OEM tires that come with the SRT8 when full throttle is applied.) I do not drive it in the rain or when the streets are still wet. Keep in mind that if you use them, they do not last nearly as long as street tires. I do not know what difference colder weather would make with respect to traction other than it will take them longer to warm up. You might want to inquire about same.

Wolfc2e

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A few weeks ago I watched a Viper get totaled thanks (at least in part) to drag radials in the back. Agressive turns or lane changes with these tires out back can be deadly.

I suggest you give Jon B a call...

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I 'happen' to have a set of perfect forged Gen2 wheels with drag radials (30%) on the rears and PS1 (80%) on fronts. Shipping is high but tires are free - wheels cost. I'll send PM

Bandit400

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have been using drag radials on the back since 2002. They definitely affect your handling around turns, but I find them acceptable if you take turns at a reasonable speed. I originally had the 18"BFGs, but recently upgraded to the Nitto NT05 19" drag radials. The 19" drag radials seem to handle noticeably better around turns than the BFG, but by no means anywhere near what you would expect from a PS2. With a TT car, the traction benefit definitely outweighs the lower cornering performance. One other note, Drag Radials can not be driven in the rain given the lack of tread pattern. Hope this helps:)

Bandit400

PowerKraus

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They are fine for everyday driving in dry/above freezing weather. You'll only get into trouble when you attempt to drive in an aggresive manner, i.e. sharp turns.

The fact that they are radials is what provides for the ability to use 'daily', again, provided you are just toolin' around town. Great for spirited stop light action. Various vendors have various tread patterns that may make the tire 'better' with daily driving.

So, if you want to get from point a to point b, on a daily basis, just drive 'cool' and you'll be ok. Air'm up to the 'high end' of specs to reduce sidewall flex and wear. Just remember, they are designed for go fast in a straight line, so no high speed FastNFurious crap.

I found the Nittos and MTs to be best in providing 'daily driver' status while still providing good drag characteristics (for a radial).

The BFG dragradial stunk, lots of undesirable flex (unfortunately not to the benefit of a launch) and no grip. This was on my 11sec GN and 10sec C5.

I've used the Nittos as a daily driver tire on my GN for several years (shortly after they came out); great for stoplight action. When worn out, I'll move to the MTs. After trying'm all, I found the MTs to be best for my use.

.........everyone has different opinions/experiences with the various drag radials. So gather up the opinions. I hope this helps !

Rob

BigBadViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have only had drag radials on my car for 2.5 years. I have never had a problem. I won't drive in the rain.

Canyon707

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had been using a set of MT drag radials. I thought they were a pretty good tire but, never cared for any drag radial on the street. Last night I went drag racing at Infineon in Sonoma and I had just purchased M&H Racemasters and had them set at 25.5 PSI These tires are incredible. I did a line lock warm up and my launches were perfect NO wheel spin = no wheel hop I made three 4 runs and my times were 11.84 first run 11.85 2nd run 11.85 3rd run my 4th run the sun was in my eyes and I got a red light. The tires are great but, to and from the track I didn't feel really comfortable. The fun part was there were 3 other Vipers at the track two 06 one 09 and my 04. I actually got to race my friend George in his 09 I dialed in at 11.9 and he dialed 12.3 doggin me........ We both broke out I ran 11.85 116 mph with an .006 RT and he ran 12.2 123 mph So I won that race it was really fun. We all had a great time. Todd from Badboyzzs Garage had his Frankinstein viper there and ran into the 11.5 range with more power to give. He did a gret job on that motor build. It looks like rollbar time for him. We are going to go back in a couple weeks after NHRA and do it again. Some more Vipers would surely be welcome to join us.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21