Izover4u

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Current Mods:
Corsa
VEC 3
Green filters
KW coilovers

I am thinking about heading up to the drag strip this weekend for some fun with my cousin and a few buddies. This will be the first time i take the viper to the strip and am worried about busting my half shafts:crazy2: I just had my driver side half shaft replaced last weekend due to a second gear shift on the street:(

Any pointers suggestions?

What do you guys think ill run? Im hoing for at least a 122mph trap...

Thanks

FE 065

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just don't do any high rpm holeshots, and back out of it if at the slightest hint of wheelhop. You're not going to set any records with those few mods anyway, no sense in a make it or break it approach.

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It all depends on the driver weather ,track- case in point with an expert driver i have seen bone stock GEN2 run 11.6-11.7 at 120 mph plus.

MikeR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Similar mods I ran a 11.7@123 mph. Depends n track prep and driver. Its best to ease it out of hole and avoid wheel slip/wheel hop. I power shifted, but if you afraid of breaking something, then shift fast and firm but dont power shift.

Kenneth Krieger

Viper Owner
Reaction score
If your running run-craps you can expect wheel hop. As FE065 said, back off if wheel hop begins.......I have S/C'd 05 with 3:55's and PS2's and have NO wheel hop. No problems with half shafts if your on street tires. When you are using slicks, that's when things start to break much easier......something has to give and the half shafts go first......those who upgrade to Unitrax etc 1/2 shafts and still use slicks will begin breaking rear ends......then they go to the Quaffe rear end and then start breaking transmissions.......there is always a weak link.......in a "pretty much stock" car really you shouldn't have any problems.....just remember the wheel hop!!! Have fun, keep it straight, and don't miss 3rd by going back into first!!!!!

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If your running run-craps you can expect wheel hop. As FE065 said, back off if wheel hop begins.......I have S/C'd 05 with 3:55's and PS2's and have NO wheel hop. No problems with half shafts if your on street tires. When you are using slicks, that's when things start to break much easier......something has to give and the half shafts go first......those who upgrade to Unitrax etc 1/2 shafts and still use slicks will begin breaking rear ends......then they go to the Quaffe rear end and then start breaking transmissions.......there is always a weak link.......in a "pretty much stock" car really you shouldn't have any problems.....just remember the wheel hop!!! Have fun, keep it straight, and don't miss 3rd by going back into first!!!!!
Kenneth is 100% correct.Beware if you intend to search for traction(slicks ect ) .The end result may cost you alot of money for repairs.Before Don Nace turned pro he and i used to race our modded Gen2s together.Just as Ken said Nace (who ran slicks, skinnys Drag shocks )replaced the half shafts only to blow rear ends and numerious transmissions.

Hamrhead

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I snapped a half-shaft a few months ago on the street too. It definitely makes you 'think' a bit more when you go to the strip.

Obviously it depends on track prep, but just avoid the 4K launches, and be ready to back off it if it starts wheel-hopping when you hit 2nd.

I have 3.55's in mine, so I can launch easier and still get a 1.9 (1.8 sometimes). I also avoid powershifting 2nd at the strip.

Good Luck!:drive:

MikeR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I forgot, another thing, drop air pressure to about 22-25psi hot. I was running my normal pressure and getting 2.0 60 fts. I dropped air pressure and started running 1.8 60fts, which helped my 1/4 mile times.

ViperCr8zy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
What happends when you snap a half shaft on a Viper - any damage to the body/frame/suspension? I owned a '70 LT-1 C3 Corvette and was always afraid of snapping one because I was advised they'd go right through the floor and damage the car - and value! On the other hand, I drove the p*ss out of my '04 Cobra 'vert and it never blinked. Hopefully the parts are stronger these days.

OP
OP
I

Izover4u

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks for all the insight:2tu: Im running Ps2s for those who asked...

When my half shaft broke nothing else on the car was damaged... Just heard a loud pop followed by a clunk clunk clunk...

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What happends when you snap a half shaft on a Viper - any damage to the body/frame/suspension? I owned a '70 LT-1 C3 Corvette and was always afraid of snapping one because I was advised they'd go right through the floor and damage the car - and value! On the other hand, I drove the p*ss out of my '04 Cobra 'vert and it never blinked. Hopefully the parts are stronger these days.
Look at the power out put of the Viper compared to the above cars you mentioned

Hamrhead

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What happends when you snap a half shaft on a Viper - any damage to the body/frame/suspension?

I also heard a loud 'pop', and then clunk, clunk, clunk as I moved forward.

No damage to anything else, and I was able to drive it to the dealership at <35mph,,, gently.

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Unitrax makes 1/2 shaft loops and upgraded 1/2 shafts for Viper. They are a good investment for the street and even better for the drags.

Good advice above. Don't launch too high and back off if you get wheel hop. Power shifting can be very hazardous too.

Enjoy.

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I always am interested to here what people think the difference is between power shifting and speed shifting and 'no lift' shifting.

Anyone care to explain what they think the differences are?

btw 22k miles on my paxton'd viper (paxton'd since new), used Drags 1 time at the track and ran 10s. No breaky.

ViperCr8zy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hmmmm - small block Chevy and Ford are laughable, but don't forget the Viper motor traces its roots to the small block LA engine family. Besides, I love all cars regardless of manufacturer - including the '93 Viper I owned, the '07 Superbee I still own, and the '08 ACR that is coming as well as the old school Chargers and 'Cuda I've had. The Vette was an investment vehicle, which I made a good profit on, thank you, and the Cobras I've owned (3 to date including a current GT500) are great daily transportation with plenty of kick that had me grinning and laughing in the drivers seat after many a hard run (so, in that sense, they are laughable :D). I wouldn't want to drive the Viper everyday - for me, it should always be a treat to drive the Viper, and I never want it to be taken for granted like a daily driver often becomes.

Anyway, the question was what happens when a half shaft breaks in a Viper, which has been duly answered. Thanks.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
booth