Drilling out O2 sensors... Any precautions?

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm getting a preheat code on my Belanger driver side sensor and it was suggested the first step be to drill the holes bigger to see if that cures it.

Anything to be aware of, like will the bit hit something inside? Is there a "proper" size new hole diameter?

Can I do this one handed, or will I have to set my Lone Star down?

Fast Too

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm getting a preheat code on my Belanger driver side sensor and it was suggested the first step be to drill the holes bigger to see if that cures it.

Anything to be aware of, like will the bit hit something inside? Is there a "proper" size new hole diameter?

As in it ain't preheating? I'd call Lou if your planning to drill in to that header 02 ****. Putting lone star down is optional :D

Fast Too

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Drilling the O2 SENSOR, not the HEADER ****!

You need to put YOUR Lone Star down!

Why, its 12:00 somewhere :D With all the crap your doing and have done to your car there is no telling where your going to stick a drill bit in to..:lmao:

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Drilling the O2 SENSOR, not the HEADER ****!

You need to put YOUR Lone Star down!

I tried this and it did not nothing probably because I butchered the sensor when I drilled the holes...it wasn't pretty. Looked like something Freddy Kruger did. The code I was receiving at the time was a heater circuit code. I forget the number. I'd call Lou first. He'll probably tell you to replace the O2 with a new one. For giggles...ask him about the quick-fire O2 sensors from DC Performance. :D I went with the quick-fire sensors and I never saw the code again.

Last edited:

Steve 00RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
After setting heater code lights for a long time (2001), and trying the 3rd tube Belanger approach when it came out (didn't work for me), I drilled my O2s per Sean Roe's advice. It worked for me for a long time. When I put the blower on in 2006, I bought new sensors and they were slotted instead of holes. knowing I was probably going to set a light with these sensors (and likely a misfire code) I cut to the chase and bought the older computer. I have DC quick fires on my 2001 with stock pcm. I had no trouble CAREFULLY drilling the holes. I would give it a try. If it doesn't work, buy the quick fires.

Steve

...I forget the size, but 1/8" comes to mind

Last edited:

Viper Wizard

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dave, key word here is "preheat" as in not hot enough. If your O2's are in the collecters, try wrapping w/header wrap [insulation] 3"-4" each side of the O2 and the base of the O2. This will keep the heat in/at the O2 because the O2's live/like HEAT. :firedev: It has wooked on many that we have done this to. :cool:

Steve 00RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Remember it well. Nice leg work Tony!

I tried the header wrap........at the Wizard's suggestion, It did cut the heater code lights by about half, but did not stop them all together. I ended up with quick fires, I still have the wrap on there though. The Wizard's ideas are always worth a try.

If you buy Quick Fires, and your O2 is now in the 3rd tube, you should move it to the collector where it belongs. The pcm can only alter what it can see. I had a nice talk with Lou Belanger about exhaust yesterday and my O2 black soot situation with the yellow car and the 3rd tube. Quick Fires eliminated the problem. Once the pcm saw all 5 cylinders, it was a couple percent from setting a rich light. I removed a bunch of fuel with my VEC. That also took care of my high idle problem with that car. He was happy to have the input.

Steve

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte