Drive/Half Shaft safety loops.

FATHERFORD

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So does everyone just want way to much money for these, or are there some for half the price yet do the same thing?

I'm willing to pay $100 maybe, but $200 for some steel bent around a 6" pipe with some $1 u bolts is slightly ridiculous.

OP
OP
F

FATHERFORD

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Like I said.... those are a bit overpriced for someone that can make there own stuff.

I can more then likely make something very simular, even powder coated, for under $50 for both half shaft loops and drive shaft..

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Product cost breakdown...

$10 - material to manufacture
$10 - marketing and overhead
$180 - product liability insurance when you go racing and your halfshaft grenades and sends bits everywhere and one bit pulled from a bystanders face says Unitrax on it.

OP
OP
F

FATHERFORD

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Product cost breakdown...

$10 - material to manufacture
$10 - marketing and overhead
$180 - product liability insurance when you go racing and your halfshaft grenades and sends bits everywhere and one bit pulled from a bystanders face says Unitrax on it.

:lmao:

sounds about right.

I'll leave my name off of mine and just say it came from the other guys car and then blame Bush.

Steve 00RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Make your own for around the $10 bucks in material it would take to do . ....Wouldn't even have to made with round stock in you had 'other stuff' lying around. Looks like a pretty simple project to me.

Steve

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There are some decent pics of mine from that thread where I washed all the fuzzy bits from underneath. I can take better ones if you want. A quick note though is that the halfshaft loops are a non-interchangeable left-right type of fit.

OP
OP
F

FATHERFORD

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There are some decent pics of mine from that thread where I washed all the fuzzy bits from underneath. I can take better ones if you want. A quick note though is that the halfshaft loops are a non-interchangeable left-right type of fit.

Thanks, Ill have to take a look. I already got a pretty good idea on what I'm going to do. Hell maybe Ill make a few extras and sale them for half the price as the others :dunno:

dun4791

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks, Ill have to take a look. I already got a pretty good idea on what I'm going to do. Hell maybe Ill make a few extras and sale them for half the price as the others :dunno:

Post up pics and dimensions when you do...........prices too.

Last edited:
OP
OP
F

FATHERFORD

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It will be 2-3 weeks before I can start on this little project. See if I can get a test setup and make a jig. I'll even try and give measurements for people to do it themselves.

Same with seat lowering brackets. I made a set, just need to install them and make sure they work.

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
FatherFord...whatever came of your safety loop project? I need to install some soon and was hoping you had made some progress on this endeavor.

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was going to experiment with this universal loop but I also have a welder and a steel supply co. (with a big bargain tent) is 9 miles away:

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You guys need pics of the 'superior' Unitrax pieces? They would require a bit of work to fabricate though.

I'd just call JonB at partsrack.com for a price. He just sold me a set of "lightweight 1000hp rear axle shafts" for less than half the price! I have an 800rwhp axle that seems to be a little bent on the slip-spline because of DR. Figured I might have fixed them, asked JonB about a single axle shaft and he offered me these 25# lighter and stronger axles for so cheap I couldn't resist. My car must be lighter than a vette (if I remove the spare tire) with my exhuast, wheels and rotors?

Ted

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ted, I just need something...simpler for some cheap insurance. I'm doing a couple of drag days this year and since I'll be under the tranny changing out fluids soon I figure I might as well install the loops. We're not talking crazy Ted-like horsepower...stock for me (for now). I'm just a newbie drag racer looking to have some fun at a couple of private track rental days coming up. Nothing serious.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Yes, but if you don't have the bigger axle shafts ... I have extra stockers too though. Dana/Spicer I believe and smaller than the original axle shaft tubes (stronger materials?) that were only slightly used. Also have 1 stock axleshaft and soon I'll have a couple Unitrax 800hp rear axles (1 needing repair to slipspline).

Nothing destroyed in car when axle snapped (at track) but loops are always a good idea.

I think it's wheelhop that destroys the axles, not hp.

Ted

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Sometimes it is Dave. Other times it is normal. Makes the track fun.

Viper Tony - admit that you'll probably be installing Nitrous Oxide by the fall ...

Ted

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang