Driver Side Seat Sensor

B & R

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello, newbie from Houston, I have a 2008 Venom Red coupe w/Silver stripes that I need to lower the driver's side seat on. I have purchased the 1" rail set from Northwind but my dealer refuses to put them on due to the airbag sensor under the seat. I am 6'5" so its more than a little important to me to get this done. Do one of the guru's here know exactly what the purpose of that 4-5" metal square sensor is?

caseyse

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The 5" metal box should remain where it is; however, if the seat is moved all the way up closest to the airbag, then a magnetic switch (a 2 inch black plastic box that's wired to the metal box) moves away from a metal plate on the seat rails, which I "presume" disengages the airbag for safety reasons (your head would receive the full impact of the deploying airbag.) When your seat is midway or further back, the sensor rides along the metal plate.

I had lowered my seat 2 inches, removing the seat rails, so I simply zip-tied the small black sensor to a piece of metal under the seat, leaving the large metal box as-is bolted to the floor boards. Since I'm 6.6 and my seat is now permanently in the full back position, there is little risk of my seat belt stretching or body contorting enough to allow my head to impact the steering wheel, so I'm not too worried. Hopefully, I'll never have the opportunity to test it.

Last edited:

Westxsrt10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I installed the 1" lowering kit on my 08 coupe. The 4-5" modual needs to be lowered 1 1/2" to clear the new seat adjustment bracket. Slide the modual under the stock mounting bracket for the clearance needed. (its bolted on top now). All the wiring to the box stays the same, i didn't even unpluged it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21