Drivers side door getting stuck open, forcing close creates loud pop

Discussion in 'RT/10 and GTS Discussions' started by callmedpit, Jul 7, 2017.

1. callmedpit

callmedpit Viper Owner

My '97 GTS has started to do something odd. When I open the driver's side door about halfway, it seems to get locked into position. I can eventually force it back closed, but there is a loud pop when I do that like it's being caught on something and then finally pushing through it. I visually can't see anything wrong happening. If I open the door less than about halfway, there is no problem....but is an annoyance.

Any ideas what's going on and how I can resolve this?

2. steve911

steve911 Viper Owner

Look at your hold open spring. Its probably broken and the broken piece is catching on the hinge.

3. MoparMap

MoparMap VCA Member - West

You might also try greasing the hinge. My 04 passenger door was doing something similar but some aerosol lithium grease seemed to help. Not sure how the gen 1/2 cars do the door hinge though, so maybe not relevant.

4. Solid Red 98

Solid Red 98 Viper Owner

Ferret this problem out quickly, because it will soon snap the spring and gouge your plastic bezel ahead of the door. Mine snapped with no warning some time ago, and put a small mark on mine. Try to save it as hinges are expensive and hard to find. There was a how to article on how to fix a broken one on this forum at one time.

5. callmedpit

callmedpit Viper Owner

Thanks guys, it looks like that's exactly what happened...just found the other half of the spring, which broke in half (some reason the picture isn't rotating correctly).

The half of the hinge still on the car is getting caught on the metal piece that the spring usually is pressed against I believe. Looks like replacing the spring will solve the issue, or maybe even grinding it down to temporarily avoid it getting caught. The good news is that I found the broken piece, and the loud pop doesn't actually seem to be causing damage.

Attached Files:

6. callmedpit

callmedpit Viper Owner

By the way, for anybody that needs a replacement hinge, the part number is 5245109. It's the same on both sides.

7. AZTVR

AZTVR Enthusiast

Are you going to replace the whole hinge or just do the repair kit? (if available)

8. callmedpit

callmedpit Viper Owner

I reached out to Jon at Parts Rack to see if the spring is available (couldn't find it on the site). Haven't heard back yet. Otherwise, I'll have to replace the whole hinge, which looks like to be about $250 in parts.

9. Steve-Indy

Steve-Indy VCA Member - Great Lakes

For future reference, I lube these hinges at least once a year with white lithium grease just to avoid this type of issue. It should also be noted that new hinges can bind as well...requiring some honing of rough surfaces at the time of installation.