Drivers Wanted!

Tom Glenn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Viper Days Potential Drivers,
Have you ever wanted to participate at a Viper Days event but found the logistics of long distance events daunting? Maybe you just don't want to flog your car on the track. Rejoice! Viper Days, in partnership with GP Motorsports, is offering an "Arrive and Drive" program. In this program you can reserve a Viper GTS, Corvette Z06, or Dodge Neon for any 2002 Viper Days Event (Schedule attached below). The cost for a Viper GTS is $3295 for 2 days and $3995 for a 3 day event, for a Z06 is $2995 for 2 days and $3595 for 3 days, and for a Dodge Neon $2395 for 2 days and $2895 for 3 days. Our research reveals that once all expenses are considered (transport, brake pads, tires, fluids, rotors, etc.) It would cost approximately $4000 for individuals to use their own Viper in an event over 700 miles away. This does not include the event wear and tear on your precious Snake! We are taking reservations now at 480-348-0718.
There is only one spot left for the Pahrump (Las Vegas) event Oct. 12,13, & 14. Please call or e-mail [email protected] if you have any interest or preference of vehicle for next year so we can assess how many vehicles we need.

Thanks,
Tom Glenn
GP Motorsports

Proposed
2002 Track Schedule

Jan – Willow Springs International Raceway – CA – 26 & 27 www.willowspringsraceway.com
Feb – Sears Point Raceway – CA -????? www.searspoint.com
Mar – Thunderhill Park – CA – 2 & 3 www.thunderhill.com
Buttonwillow Raceway – CA – 23 & 24 www.buttonwillowraceway.com
Apr – Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course – OH – 27 & 28 www.midohio.com
May – Mid America Raceway – NE – 17, 18 & 19 www.midamerica.com
Jun – Gingerman Raceway – MI – 14, 15 & 16 www.gingerman.com
Jul – Virginia International Raceway – VA – 19, 20 & 21 www.virclub.com
Aug – Road America – WI - 8 & 9 www.roadamerica.com
BeaveRun Motorsports Complex – PA – 23, 24 & 25 www.beaverun.com
Sep – Putnam Park Road Course – IN – 13, 14 & 15 www.putnampark.com
Oct – Sebring International Raceway - FL – 4, 5 & 6 www.sebringraceway.com

Finals - Texas World Speedway - TX – 18, 19 & 20 www.tws.com

luc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Excuse my stupid question but, how can you make money (assuming that it is a for-profit venture)if the $4000 cost WITHOUT wear and tear/depreciation on the car is correct?

As a business,not only you will have the same expenses,tires,brakes,fluid,transport,etc, but also the added cost of the car amortization and insurance.

The only place where you could save some money compared to a SINGLE Viper driver,would be on transport cost since you can transport more than 1 car at the time and a better price on parts.

Even if the Viper driver don't have to tow/ship his car,he still have to paid/incure a cost to "transport "himself to the track.

Please accept my apologies if it is a non-profit venture/service but my opinion is that WITHOUT accident and/or wear and tear,it cost a lot less than $4000 do do an event even 700 miles away.

I am not saying that $3295 for 2 days is too expensive,just that what you offer is not a saving on a Weekend expense but a "service" and that it is normal for the customer to pay for it.
Luc.00GTS

OP
OP
T

Tom Glenn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi Luc, You are right if we are renting one car to one person this makes no business sense. However if we are renting one car to two people and it runs every other session the numbers start to work. As far as the $4000 number can you do it cheaper as an individual, maybe. But commercial rates for enclosed transport run at about $1 per mile (2000 mile round trip for a track 1000 miles away), Mechanic support at track $600-$1200 for weekend, Consumables $700-$1400 (tires, brake pads, rotors, gas, fluids, etc.). Pretty quick you are up to $3300-$4600 for a weekend event 1000 miles away. Many people will never do this, but if you always wanted to run at Road America or Watkins Glen and you live in California....

Mark Young

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thats actually a pretty slick idea for what Tom mentioned. There are definitely some tracks I'd like to drive that I wouldn't normally do (like VIR) and this would give me the opportunity. It wouldn't be something I'd do very often but if I'd always wanted to tear up VIR, this would be a good type of x-mas present.

Now if you could just squeeze Spa into the ViperDays schedule I'd sign up tomorrow!
laugh.gif
I like that idea, ViperDays on world tour. Skip?

OP
OP
T

Tom Glenn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi AFY, The deal with the Neon is most of the costs are driven by transportation, track support, consumables, and insurance. So with that in mind wouldn't you rather drive a Viper?

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Wow, Tom this is a great idea for those folks who want to drive a car on the opposite coast, or for the driver who thinks he wants to try Viper Days, but isn't quite up to using their own car yet.
I know a couple of folks interested in stepping up to a Viper---
TALK ABOUT THE ULTIMATE TEST DRIVE,HA! Best of luck with your venture.

Afy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tom Glenn:
Hi AFY, The deal with the Neon is most of the costs are driven by transportation, track support, consumables, and insurance. So with that in mind wouldn't you rather drive a Viper?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>With my driving skill??

Actually I would go with the Z06 mainly due to active handling.. I know my limitations as a driver..
Now if I actually knew how to drive.. the snake would be a natural choice..
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Afy,

You can have your cake and eat it too!!! Remember Viper Days always has qualified instructors and you can have one with you in the Snake. I know you want the Viper for the track, so go for the gusto and take an Instructor. VCA has sponsored Viper Days as they see it as a viable answer for Driver Instruction, safety, and darn great socializing with Viper Owners. Gopher it !

CAS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey, Tom! I don't know if you remember me, but I was just wondering how you were doing. I have my drivers liscense now, and am always out hunting for apexes in neighborhoods! It's great to see you post again, and good luck on the track! Do you still have that GTS and that winning record? Drive safe!

Clint

SAM Team

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tom,

This is a great idea! For someone who has taken his Viper to VIR, Putnam and now Watkins Glen, I really have no problem with the cost. I have added up the bills and "preparation time" for these events and it is pretty close, especially if you want to be competitive. Larry Macedo (Performance Motorsports) and I spent 27 hours each getting the car ready for Watkins Glen. This does not include his track time at The Glen making sure the car was "safe and ready" for each run group.

I have read this note and the comments now the question I have is what if the car gets damaged who pays? It is a very valid question that no one ever seems to want to ask. All my costs above are taking into consideration that I have never done any outward physical damage to my beautiful Viper. This does not include weather damage done to my car at Putnam ($1800).

Do you plan to offer this service after this next event such as early next year while we are sitting around waiting on the east coast for the next Viper Days event? I would love to come out west but Tulsa is going to be far enough for my Viper an me.

Afy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tom,
I still dont get the Neon.. why would anyone want to race one..

Evidently I am missing something about the car..
confused.gif

OP
OP
T

Tom Glenn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Clint, I sure do remember you and I tearing around Firebird. It was great fun. Glad to here you are doing well. Hope to see you at the track again.

Sam, We have insurance on the vehicles. Should there ever be an incident we would submit a claim to insurance. However, coverage for on track incidents is pretty iffy and ultimately the driver would be responsible for any damages not covered. And yes, we will be offering this for all Viper Days events next year. Willow Springs is a great track and it is always sunny in California.

Afy, One of the most fun days I had on a track was chasing Vipers in a Neon. It really makes you work on having the correct line and carrying your speed through the corners since the car does not have enough power to cover for mistakes. It is also a very predictable car when drifting and gives so much notice that you can easily recover if you over do it into a corner. Additionally, some people just aren't comfortable in a heavy, high horsepower car on the track. Of course my ego could never tolerate the likes of Pemberton passing my Viper in a Neon so we will have a governor on any Neon he drives to make sure that doesn't happen.

SAM Team

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tom,

If the West Coast guys are half the fun the East Coast guys are in Tulsa I plan to to participate in at least one West Coast event next year and I plan to use your services.

Skip do I get double points for going out of the region and maybe triple for not using my car?

Which is the best event if you had to pick one in the West next year?

Skip at Viper Days

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sam,
All three tracks out west are great for different reasons. My favorate is Thunderhill. in Northern CA. We go in two days early and tour the wine country!! It is beautiful and fun for everyone. The track is like cool!! But then there is Willow Springs - "The fastest track in the West" set in the side of a mountain...Oh then Butonwillow. What a great track in south CA safe, safe, safe and fun to run both ways!!
It is hard to chose. Thank God I can go to all of them!!

FrankBarba

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why rent a Neon for Viper Days when you can own 1 for the cost of less than 2 events (rental). 1997 Neon ACR SSB (2002 goes to SSC Class). 66,049 miles, welded roll cage, fire extinguisher, window net, New sparco racing seat, new supsension, Struts, Springs, Sway Bars both front & rear, spares include: 7 wheels & tires, Good year & toyo rain tires. Head gasket replaced & timing belt replaced at 65,800. Podium finisher. $ 5,500.00 can be delivered.

frank barba

Roger Morgan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi Tomm
Sounds like a great plan,any chance you will be ready for the Finals in OK. Its a long drive from California. If you will be at Pahrump this week maybe we can talk.
Roger Morgan
Road America 02

OP
OP
T

Tom Glenn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sam, If I had to choose only one track to go to in California it would be based on the amount of time I had. If I had a week I would bring my wife, tour the wine country and spend the full 3 days driving the 3.6 miles of up and down at Thunderhill. If I could only spend 2 or 3 days I would opt for the fast sweepers of Willow Springs. I enjoy Button Willow but find it to be the most difficult track for me personally.

Hi Roger, We can take care of you at the finals. I'll see you at Pahrump.

SteveBCloud9

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tom, I'm sure you have "crunched" the numbers. I've had several customers inquire about just what you have put in place. Here are some things to consider:

1) You need to tell everyone exactly what they get. Say someone goes through an entire set of tires, who pays?
2) Insurance. It seems you may not know who/what is exactly covered. See if you can get a blanket policy. I could barely fine liability coverage for myself let alone coverage for customers at a track. GOOD LUCK.
3) Liability coverage. You need to make sure you have it, A LOT OF IT. What happens if you are found at fault for not preping a car correctly for "racing". God forbid your car runs into someone due to poor maintenace and kills the driver.

I'm sure you've been in business some time and have put some time and effort into this venture but it doesn't seem to be all there yet. Did you develop a basic business plan for this? How's, What's, Projections?, Costs?

I think it's great to offer something like this. I'm not sure how profitable it will be. Good Luck.

OP
OP
T

Tom Glenn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi Jeff, I would love to do a Modified or Unlimited car but...You know, the old supply and demand rule. I need the equivalent of two people committed for each event in order to do a high end car for those classes. If you can help me find the drivers I will build it to your specs. No plans at this time for a racer. Maybe if we get enough interest we could get a competition coupe!

Hi Larry, Great to here from you. Thanks for the help on my car the 180 thermostat and shift light work great!

Hi Steve, Thanks for the suggestions. We have a business plan and projections look like we might make a small profit. You do this kind of thing because you love being out there.

Off to Pahrump. Hope to see all of you there!