Driveway Modifications... anyone else have this problem - looking for advice

Steve 00RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My driveway has quite a steep angle and 4" rounded curb at the bottom. The only way I can get in is by approaching the drive at 90 degrees(and less than a foot from it) and turning in/up very slowly. I then just make it. I would guess you could do the same. A new Corvette recently scraped his front on my driveway by coming at it too straight.

Steve

Ulysses

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>#2 - get a contractor to 'redo' the driveway and sidewalk in front of my home.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You may want to check with your city, but here in San Diego, I hear that you don't own the side walk, the city does. I hear it's a pain in the **** to get the side walk redone.

Steve Miehe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I toss a couple 2 X 10's (each is about 4 feet long) into the gutter. Allows me to get onto the driveway head-on, without scraping. Cost= $0. Got the scraps from a construction site.

garolittle

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The front wheels on a Viper are very close to the front edge of the car (much like a BMW). This will help but you should always approach at an angle if it looks to steep.

9 seconds

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by CarlRspeaks4JustMe:

Here in the hinterlands of Pearland, TX - I live in a sub-division called Silverlake which is outside the city limits of Pearland - and any other city at the present time.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Carl,
You'll be in Pearland in no time. They've already annexed the highway past you so they can give me tickets as I head to/from Houston. I think I'm off probation for now.

unclgreggy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My driveway has a large lip on it. To boot, my car is veeery low to the ground. When I want to take the car out I have to carry this big piece of wood to the lip and lay on there like a ramp. What a pain the butt! I have been asking my friend for months (he's in the driveway business) to fix it for me but still has not done it. I think it's time I had someone else look at it! I'm just lazy.

I'm also going to raise the car just a tad - it's starting to be a real problem, I can't drive the car anywhere.

Dale Craig

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Carl,
My Viper has been lowered 1" and does not rub going into my driveway, however my Z06 which is stock height does. The rubber strip that hangs down under the front of most vettes is very low and seems to rub all the time. You may not have a problem with your Viper.
Dale

genXgts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Funniest thing after I bought my Viper, I went to bed one night, woke up and the driveway curb had been cut down, allowing me to drive my Viper into my own garage. The City did look at it, and informed me that it met code, and it's not their problem what kind of car I bought, and I couldn't touch it at my cost, nor would they. Still trying to figure out what happened in the middle of the night, but man, it works sweet.........
supergrin.gif

Until then 2X12 gave the initial 1.5" popup to clear until the midnight mystery cutter did has handiwork, like the tooth fairy, only better!!

Best of luck,

Lawrenzo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had a Vette before the Viper- it would rub all the time. The Viper does not have this problem at all. Don't demolish until you have a buddy try it out with a Viper first!

2002graphiteviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
First of all - there should be no need to have Vette's entering your driveway!

Secondly - I shaved an extra 2x4 I had in my garage with a skill saw - laid it down right in front of the driveway edge - and it works great - doesn't move either. This summer I plan on stopping at a Home Depot and simply buying some of their QuickCrete - and replace the wood with cement... Doubt the city will notice or care...

I did ask them though - and they gave me the normal speech that it is city property, etc...

If I had a *** hole in the street beyond my driveway - I'd probably rather fill the annoying hole myself instead of waiting for the city... They obviously wouldn't recommend that - but they certainly aren't going to complain that it was temporarily filled in until they got to it...

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JKGiant