Driving a GTS 1000 miles non-stop

Red Mist Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
After reading this thread, it should be pretty obvious--drive YOUR Viper home. I learned a lot during my 400 mile trip and gained some valuable driving experience too. I took some back roads, long highway straights, and got stuck in traffic. Additionally, you'll quickly become a goodwill ambassador if you weren't already, as it comes with owning a Viper. Don't miss the fun and experience. ;)

OP
OP
D

Detlef

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for all the comments. I'll base my decision on weather forecasts, as I'll be driving through tornado regions that can generate nasty hail storms. If hail is predicted, I'll go the enclosed trailer route, else I'll drive it home.

Also thanks for the shipping company recommendations

Big Medicine

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Making that trip is educational & spiritual; however, I wouldn't plan on it ALL the time. The advantage of a trailer is mechanical difficulty or flats. You'll get greased at 1 a.m. in BFE. At least with a trailer, you can take it home & fix it yourself, correctly, for a fair price.

Trust me, I've been there. I've come away unscathed on many trips, and screwed the pooch on one. It was painful.

Steve 00RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wouldn't plan on it ALL the time. The advantage of a trailer is mechanical difficulty or flats. You'll get greased at 1 a.m. in BFE.

...One could apply that philosophy to the trailer 'puller' vehicle as well. Does that mean you need a trailer puller puller in case the first 'puller' breaks down?

Every time you're on the road..with any vehicle.. you take the chance of something happening. From deer to flats to mechanical to any other number of road hazards. We haven't had a lick of trouble with our car in 23,000 miles. I would trust it to go cross country and back in a heartbeat. If a tire goes flat, I have a plug kit and a couple cans of fix-a-flat. Should be enough to get me to the nearest tire place for a proper repair..or replacement if necessary.

Steve

Vreracing

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you drive, remember there is a very high concentration of Highway Patrolman between each one of the small towns between Amarillo and Dallas.

Watch particularly for ESTELLINE.

You must be registered for see images

If you do drive if you go west of Amarillo to the Town of Bushland.

You must be registered for see images

Head north about 5 miles. There you will hit Boys Ranch road.

Its a really pretty drive. It will take you to guess where? Boys Ranch.

From there go north to Channing and then on to Dalhart.

It will definitely help to break up the trip.

Finally if you went just a little further to the town of Wildarado and you were on a Friday or Saturday night believe it or not, one of the best restaurants in the Panhandle is located there.

Randy's

Have to make a reservation though.

Rivals some of the best restaurants in Houston.

Hope you like the new car.

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The car is a beast to drive and would would probably love to drive it but I would say that you should only drive it if you are familar with the car or have been driving a high horsepower car prior. This car is a BEAST and any wrong move can lead to an accident. If you drive it just PLEASEEEEEE be careful as this machine is quite dangerous in the hands of first timers.

GTS Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tire pressure cold 29 psi.Drove back from nashville to buffalo.Stoped every few hours for a wee and a pop.Was very comfortable driving when you get the position right.Kind of like a recliner in front of a big screen.Could have kept on going forever.wife went to sleep while reading.It is a PIA in the rain however.Poor visibility,low speeds and can you say HYDROPLANING.If it were raining I would park it at a nice motel,stay over,have dinner,.... bruce

George Murray

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I drove Venom 600 from Austin, TX to Norfolk, VA in a day and a half four years ago. 1700 miles. A friend flew to TX with me, so we shared driving. Bladder. food and fuel breaks.

Drove same car three months later from VOI5 in Vegas to LA, then from LA back to Washington, DC. The LA - DC trip was four days.

Agree that the drive is as important (or more) than the destination. I mean, everyone should have the opportunity to drive through six hours of "sideways rain" in the Texas panhandle in a Gen I RT/10 with those way cool removeable windows and excellent form-fitting "slop top" (fromHELL) LOL

It was fun, especially the warp-speed blast up the "Palms to Pines" highway with four other Vipers in Palm Springs.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GreatWhiteKAC