Driving Tip

sbkim

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry guys to bore you with these questions but when do you use 6th gear? My friend is telling me that I shouldn't use it unless I am cruising 70+mph and when rpm exceeds 1500. Is this true? Is it bad to lug the motor below 1500rpm while cruising?

Thanks

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I go into 6th all the time. If all I'm doing is cruising along there's no need to turn rpm and heat everything up. Vipers have so much low end torque that only by mistake have I ever experienced any "lugging." Of course you wouldn't be able to get away with 6th gear at 30mph, but I've putzed along in 6th at 1200rpm. It wont hurt it. If you need to gas it then drop a few gears and go. That's the fun of driving.

SoCal Craig

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I go into 6th all the time. If all I'm doing is cruising along there's no need to turn rpm and heat everything up. Vipers have so much low end torque that only by mistake have I ever experienced any "lugging." Of course you wouldn't be able to get away with 6th gear at 30mph, but I've putzed along in 6th at 1200rpm. It wont hurt it. If you need to gas it then drop a few gears and go. That's the fun of driving.

Me too. I once got over 20 miles per gallon to Vegas.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960