Drone ?

Stephen

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hi Guy's, forgive my ignorance but could someone explain to me what is a drone sound. I change my exhaust on my ACR ( Corsa cat back and Roe cats ) It is quite louder at idle and WOT but ok at cruising speed. It rumbles (popping) quite alot when I let the gas go, specialy under compression, is that the famous drone :confused:

Thanks
Steve

Last edited:

agentf1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No, you should not get the drone with the Corsa's and high flow cats like you have. I have heard that the stock system drones. It will usually happen when you are cruising down the highway in 5th or 6th gear and the RPM's are low. That is the same exhaust system I am putting on mine. I can't wait to hear it.

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Also have the Corsa Track/cat back/flow-thru cats--NO drone....experience 'popping' on decel...have heard others talk about the horrible drone if they do NOT have the high flow cats....don't think you have drone issues!! AWEsome sound, ain't it????!
~juli~

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
...I thought drone was the wife constantly asking "Are we there yet?" on a long cruise in the Viper. :D

viperdude118

Viper Owner
Reaction score
...I thought drone was the wife constantly asking "Are we there yet?" on a long cruise in the Viper. :D

And when she always asks why the viper didn't come with cup holders, or why we have to have the windows down, or why it gets so hot inside the car. Is this the drone your talking about? :D

OP
OP
S

Stephen

Viper Owner
Reaction score
So the popping sound has nothing to do with the drone note, as I understand the drone is more of a anoying low pitch sound at low rpm. I guess that the popping while under compression is a common issue on Vipers

Stephen

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Steve--yeah, I'd say the popping is more due to the Corsa Track/Cat-Back Exhaust/flow-thru cats/B&B stepped headers, tuned with VECII...running a tad rich still. LOVE the sound....wouldn't trade it in, and nope---no drone. (and haha to the guys complaining about their girls in the Vipers ''''droning''''...not done here!) ~juli~

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Drone = resonance, which is when the exhaust note reverberates in the cabin. It's quite unpleasant, particularly on longer drives. The Corsa cat-back does a great job at eliminating the drone that exists at highway speeds with the stock exhaust.

Chipster

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Yeah, drone is the constant hum in the cabin. Stock exhaust still has the popping though but I hope to go with the corsa also pretty soon.

Cobraken

Enthusiast
Reaction score
drone is a constant resonance that seems to vibrate everything @ a low frequency. It's drone when it becomes annoying.

ViperJames

Enthusiast
Reaction score
To make this thread relevant to a Viper....Gen 1's (92-95) with the Roe High Flow cats and 3" exhaust are the ultimate example of drone. It is that cruising speed vibration even 100% OFF throtle that vibrates and makes you shake your ear that is referred to as a Drone in a viper. consider the fact that the pipes are not very far from your ear as a side exhaust GEN 1. I have this on my Viper, and as much as I love the exhaust sound, the DRONE does get to me on those long trips, but then again, whenever i get to TAKE a long trip in the Viper, i am usually not complaining!!!!:drive:

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You're welcome Steve....you got more explanations of what 'drone' really is from the other guys...as we don't experience it. ViperJames--That's too bad that you do have that drone--but like you said, HEY, who's complaining if you CAN get your gorgeous Emerald Green car out?!! :drive: :cool: We'll be out today by the looks of the day, and we'll take the Viper on a long drive...only Sundays and holidays we can do that, after Mike gets back from work this morning, those are his 'short' days. Happy Memorial Day~:usa: In memory of all of the troops from every part of the world. ~juli~

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So the popping sound has nothing to do with the drone note, as I understand the drone is more of a anoying low pitch sound at low rpm. I guess that the popping while under compression is a common issue on Vipers

Stephen

Stephen, the popping as it was described to me by Lou Belanger, Roe and others is from unburned fuel in the exhaust system usually do to a rich condition. When I installed my Belanger system, I had excessive popping mostly on decel. As the PCM learned about its new toys (headers, cats, catback) the popping quieted down a little. When I installed my Vec3 last week with one of Roe's performance programs, the popping went away. The Vec3 eliminated my rich condition and my exhaust sounds sweet on decel NO popping at all. I also picked up power gains as well. If the popping concerns or annoys you I would recommend a Vec. Well worth the investment and fairly straightforward to install. Give your PCM some time to adjust to the exhaust as well. It usually takes about 200 miles for the PCM to adjust to its new toys.

- Tony

Purdue_Boiler_Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Stephen, the popping as it was described to me by Lou Belanger, Roe and others is from unburned fuel in the exhaust system usually do to a rich condition. When I installed my Belanger system, I had excessive popping mostly on decel. As the PCM learned about its new toys (headers, cats, catback) the popping quieted down a little. When I installed my Vec3 last week with one of Roe's performance programs, the popping went away. The Vec3 eliminated my rich condition and my exhaust sounds sweet on decel NO popping at all. I also picked up power gains as well. If the popping concerns or annoys you I would recommend a Vec. Well worth the investment and fairly straightforward to install. Give your PCM some time to adjust to the exhaust as well. It usually takes about 200 miles for the PCM to adjust to its new toys.

- Tony

The popping is eliminated with the VEC3 by turning off the injectors when you take your foot off the gas pedal.