Drove the SRT today

2tall

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can't say how, but I happened to get a chance to take a spin in a pre-release model today.

One item of note, that "muscled up" thing that they were going to do (someone might have already commented on it) essentially amounted to the left and right fenders being brought up about 1" higher at the peak and the rear spoiler going up less than an inch.

Impressions:
-Seats were MUCH more comfortable. Held you during cornering much better. Problem for me was that the headrests fold inward and aren't adjustable, which, when you're my height (6'6") means I have to sit straight up and down or allow my back to assume a "C" shape. Nice suede leather in the butt part of it.

-Ride was much more compliant. Could be the seats, but probably a combo of seats and suspension.

-Power seemed similiar (though I wasn't able to give it all she had), but the exhaust note was much better than a Gen II stock. Not nearly as good as my Corsa though. There is a track in Ohio where they test them and the Gen III does a lap 6 seconds quicker than the Gen II. I'm not sure how long the track was though, maybe 2 miles?

-Fit and finish was a little nicer (especially the radio and guage cluster), but there isn't a boot cover for the top, so the hinges and such are exposed to the world.

-Less leg room from hip to dash, but I fit in the drivers seat better. Don't know how that works... I guess they might be going to aftermarket carbon fiber seats for Mopar add-ons which will allow more seating room (less cushion = more room).

-Feels a lot higher of a seating position. I hoped back in my GTS to go home and felt like I was sitting on the ground - could be because of my seat drop more than the new car.

-The remote is now the Chrysler standard, not the GM look-a-like. Has a trunk release on it now.

Overall a nice car. And the styling really isn't bad, it's just that it's similiar to a lot of others out there. Still turned heads, but it may have been because it isn't on the road yet...

OP
OP

2tall

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I did notice myself looking at the tach and not the speedo, so I would say that it's a better placement. The gauges are as functional as the other ones, I'm not sure that they're better or worse (and I didn't get to use the A/C because it was such a nice day out). They supposed to be fully adjustable - ie like a normal car HVAC instead of the current setup where the temp dial is just used for amusing children. The radio is better by leaps and bounds.

But I didn't listen to it much
smile.gif

Also, the clutch and shifter still have the extremely long throw to them. Sean Roe and MGW have new projects on their hands.

commoditybroker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thank you for the review! It was very complete, and now I want an SRT MORE!!!

Question: Is the new gauge panel functionally better than the old setup. I really like the looks and concept, but how does it work out. Also, how is the center-mounted tach? Appealing??

Zach

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 2tall:
-but there isn't a boot cover for the top, so the hinges and such are exposed to the world.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
2Tall:

Is this correct? The rag top when folded does NOT have a boot cover? Are you aware if one is going to be made available?

Viperfreak2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The new top design is similar to the new Z4 design. It's called a Z-fold top. When you stand to the side of the car, all you see is the front canvas section, and it looks great. When you get into the car and look down, you see all the bows and hinges on each side. I'm sure the aftermarket will come up with a couple canvas covered flaps to snap into this 'void'.

Viperfreak2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree 100%. I have driven A LOT of Z4's and other than both having a simlar folding top, this car does not look like the SRT or any other car. The SRT may be a look-a-like to many Japanese designs (no flame) but the Z4 was designed by an American....Chris Bangle.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Watch the aftermarket for a "Parade Boot" or boot cover.

All it has now is a locking latch on the drivers side to hold it down.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shibbydude