dumbest question ever asked

mach4444

Enthusiast
Reaction score
an over exuberant and frisky girlfriend leaned on my center console (2000 rt/10) and cracked it. she weighs all of about 110 pounds so I guess it was just bound to happen from everything I've read about them being poorly supported.

it's not a big crack but I want to get it fixed before it gets larger. I searched and found a wealth of info on how to repair it. last night I was going to attempt to repair it and ran into a snag.

how do I get the stock shift handle off ?
I know this sounds ridiculous but I couldn't budge this thing. it looks like there is an area for a wrench about halfway down so i assume that you throw a wrench on there and rotate the shift knob area while securing the wrench. I am i missing something ?

even in the service manual it just Say's remove shifter handle.
thanks for any help and please go easy on me.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It is on VERY tight. Like was said above, just unscrew it. Use good wrenches and grunt as needed. Set beer to the side and get the GF off your lap too.

How about some pics of the frisky GF holding the shift knob after it's off? :rolleyes:

I'm sorry. Make me stop...

Good luck with the repair. Big Brakes has a repair for that and there's a write up in the Illustrated Upgrade section too if you're a VCA member.

rt/10stew

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Push the shifter boot down and you will see the end of the shifter and also a nut you will need to put a wrench on the nut as a hold back and another wrench on the flats of the shifter. Hold the wrench on the nut firmly and the put pressure on the shifter wrench to loosen it.
Stew

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Your posts sound more and more like mine every single day. You even have ******* girls in your avatar, thank God your Viper is black or I'd be reading your posts thinking "I do not remember making this post, I've officially lost my mind" :D As for the shifter, sounds like you have the right idea. On the McViper, there is a nut underneath the shift handle. Put the wrench on this nut and turn it counterclockwise to break it loose. This will then let you unscrew the handle.

triblk6spd

Viper Owner
Reaction score
On my 99 the shifter handle and knob are one piece. I made the mistake of trying to get the shift KNOB off. Not a great idea.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
there is only ONE reason a girl should ever be leaning on a console and im not allowed to say why here. if not, please toss her to the side and find a new one

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Your posts sound more and more like mine every single day. You even have ******* girls in your avatar, thank God your Viper is black or I'd be reading your posts thinking "I do not remember making this post, I've officially lost my mind" :D As for the shifter, sounds like you have the right idea. On the McViper, there is a nut underneath the shift handle. Put the wrench on this nut and turn it counterclockwise to break it loose. This will then let you unscrew the handle.

Please! No more talk of taking wrenches to nuts! :lmao:

OP
OP
M

mach4444

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK so I will attempt to get pics of my gf with the my shifter in hand (sorry I digress).
she is a little camera shy because everything nowadays ends up on the INTERNET for every freak in the world to see.
her theory is the less info out there the better and most of the time I tend to agree.

but my question is this: where does it unscrew from ? it looks like half way down the stock shift handle (the vertical section) the upper section screws into the lower section of the vertical shaft. I held the lower section with a wrench and tried to turn the upper section (that contains the shift knob) and it wouldn't budge.

A previous post mentioned something about moving boot all the way down. down past the halfway of the vertical shaft or do i need to access the very bottom where it mates to the shift mechanism.

the shift knob and upper section of the vertical shift handle seem to be one piece.
thanks

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
but my question is this: where does it unscrew from ? it looks like half way down the stock shift handle (the vertical section) the upper section screws into the lower section of the vertical shaft. I held the lower section with a wrench and tried to turn the upper section (that contains the shift knob) and it wouldn't budge.

Hope this helps answer your question:
02_stock_shifter_knob.JPG

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK so I will attempt to get pics of my gf with the my shifter in hand (sorry I digress).
she is a little camera shy because everything nowadays ends up on the INTERNET for every freak in the world to see.
her theory is the less info out there the better and most of the time I tend to agree.

So take a pic of some non-camera shy babe and tell everyone it's your girlfriend. That's what the rest of us do.

It's all about the pics.

ViperJay

Viper Owner
Reaction score
in order for her to crack that console, she must have had all 110lbs on there. gee, what were you doing? :D no, dont send pics of that!

ViperJay

Viper Owner
Reaction score
julie, get your mind out of the gutter. notice how nut is singular. bad biking accident when he was a kid. lol.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang