Dyno Hints?

RoyV101621

Enthusiast
Reaction score
~ Running a on a DynoJet with a somewhat cool engine (NOT HOT) ~
Are there any hints on how the bring the Dyno reading up to your cars fullest potential? I've heard that strapping down the car and tire pressure will effect the readings. Well, let's effect them to our advantage.
~ Hints Please ~

RedEnuf93

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Been on dyno only day alltogether 4 runs, so I am hardly a pro.

Anyway, here is my 2 cents:
Do it on 4th gear, my -93 numbers were on 3rd gear 380HP and immediately after on 4th gear 410HP.
I had the regular airpressure and the Dynoguys did the strapping, so no info there...

rcdice

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm curious about this too. I'm going to dyno my stock car on a dynojet within the next few weeks to get a baseline before I start with a few mods.

sbkim

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I also heard to run your car hard - WOT - several times before dyno. I presume to make sure computer goes in some performance mode??? Also make sure you remove the floor mat just to make sure nothing interferes with gas pedal.

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The strapping issue is when the dyno operator ties the car down with too much vertical force. This increases the roller and wheel losses. The strapping should be at shallow horizontal angle.

The viper reacts favorably to low coolant temp. If you are running a OBD2 tool during the pulls you can make sure that the temp is low as possible. Another trick is the dry ice pack on the intake runners.

Torque can be manipulated by starting the pull early (less than 2500 rpm's. The obvious one is the car must be in 4th gear or as close to a 1:1 drive ratio as possible. You can also have the operator print the pull in STD correction mode in lieu of SAE, this will increase the hp. The hp can also be changed by massaging the curve with a different smoothing factor. In the NA mode I can get approximately another 20 paper hp by changing the smoothing and going to the STD mode.

Joseph Dell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not much too it, actually. Everything Jack B said is quite true. Give a little break between runs and try to have cool air (if they have the AC units) blowing on the front of the car.

Some people notice significant differences with the air filters on or off. I never did, though. you can play with that one.

Also, definitely run the car all the way up to 6000rpm... don't wuss out at 5000 or your numbers could be low.

And most importantly, have fun!

JD

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
To reduce losses associated with tire deformation, put 50 psi in the rears before the dyno experience and back it down when you leave.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang