Dyno Results w/ VEC-1

Chuck 97 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Last year my car did 401 RWHP and 449 LB-FT bone stock with 1800 miles.

Today I did 4 pulls:

VEC-1 set to 0,0 (essentially turned off):

420 RWHP / 456 LB-FT
422 RWHP / 459 LB-FT

VEC-1 set to +14 (Low), -16 (High):

428 RWHP / 465 LB-FT
428 RWHP / 464 LB-FT

Other changes from last year are as follows:
* 4000 miles
* Smooth tubes
* S&B filters
* Bosch Platinum plugs
* New intake manifold gaskets that don't partially block the intake ports

The overall results are better than I expected, though I thought the VEC would have factored more into the results. The VEC DID fatten up the torque curve, especially between 3700 and 4800 RPM. Gotta love that!!

Now if I only had a scanner I could post the graphs...

Motor City Mad Man

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chuck, I noticed that you installed platinum spark plugs. I have read several times on this board that platinum spark plugs are a no-no for the Viper. You might want to look into it. Do a search on this board.

RoyV101621

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not a Guru but the here say goes,
"With the push/pull ignition coils used in the Viper, 1/2 of the plugs fire from the tip to the electrode." This negates the platinum advantage if you plug are not the double platinum design. The tip will wear at the normal rate.
Your biggest concern should be bimetal corrosion and the plug seizing to the head.

MES

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chuck did you try any other setting with the VEC-1? or just that one run? Just wondering if thats the best it can do. I'm going to dyno mine with the VEC-1 in another week or so, or whenever I get around to it.

OP
OP
C

Chuck 97 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MES:
Chuck did you try any other setting with the VEC-1? or just that one run? Just wondering if thats the best it can do. I'm going to dyno mine with the VEC-1 in another week or so, or whenever I get around to it.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I didn't dyno tune the VEC because I'm not done with the airflow mods yet this year. I just wanted to see how the setting I have been running compares to stock. Plus I wanted another dyno run before I make more changes. When I'm done I'll dyno tune it. At $200/hr you don't want to do THAT a lot!
biggrin.gif

OP
OP
C

Chuck 97 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Motor City Mad Man:
Chuck, I noticed that you installed platinum spark plugs. I have read several times on this board that platinum spark plugs are a no-no for the Viper. You might want to look into it. Do a search on this board.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've heard that before, but NOBODY including respected tuners have been able to offer ANY plausible explanation as to why not to run them. It's always "you shouldn't run those, use Champions". My personal experience with them in the Viper and other cars has been positive so far. I will continue to run them unless an ignition system guru wants to explain to me in detail why I should not.

OP
OP
C

Chuck 97 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by RoyV101621:
Not a Guru but the here say goes,
"With the push/pull ignition coils used in the Viper, 1/2 of the plugs fire from the tip to the electrode." This negates the platinum advantage if you plug are not the double platinum design. The tip will wear at the normal rate.
Your biggest concern should be bimetal corrosion and the plug seizing to the head.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Am I way off or aren't the body of the plugs steel like other plugs? At any rate I put anti-sieze on them unlike the factory.

As far as the push/pull thing goes, now we're talking. At least now I have something to research.

Marv S

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Part of an e-mail from NGK I got relating to the Platinum-Viper question:

<FONT COLOR="Blue">The advantage to using non-platinum is the copper core design, which does a better job of dissipating heat</FONT c>

RoyV101621

Enthusiast
Reaction score
NGK, A spark plug firing at a Zillion-times-per-second is going to dissipate heat? I'll bet your exhaust value is better at doing this.

Chuck, I thought the reason for platinum plugs was the 100Kmi without a tune-up because of the no-foul design.

<FONT size="3">See, I told you. I'm no Guru</FONT s>

OP
OP
C

Chuck 97 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think Marv is referring to the plug retaining heat which could contribute to detonation. Knock (no pun intended) on wood, I have yet to see that.

BWoodbury

Enthusiast
Reaction score
2 plugs issues that I know about.

1) Platinum is a poor conductor, but plugs made from it will not foul as easily. So platinum plugs never work as well as clean copper ones, but dirty platinum plugs will outperform dirty cooper plugs.

2) The stock Champion plugs are different. They have a much longer ceramic insulator that gets the electrode deeper into the cylinder. I assume this was done to get better combustion.

So I run stock Champions and just change them every year...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960