E-Brake slipped

Jance GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Today I was backing into a parking spot and my e-brake slipped? I had to let it roll to a stop on a parking curb. When I got home it worked like normal?

I raised up on it like I usually do and it just slipped and had to much play. :dunno:

I hope that made sense?

vancouver-gts

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Mine does it occasionally too.It always works after I let the handle down and re-apply it. It must have a catch mechanism that slips occasionally.I look into it deeper when it fails completely.

colo08

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I quote “ I had to let it roll to a stop on a parking curb”, give me a break what happen to his brakes in the car. Was he driving so fast into the parking space the main brakes failed :omg: :panic: and he needed to use the parking brake to stop him. The first problem is what slipped, the hand brake lever did not hold or with the hand brake lever all the way pulled up the car was moving. If the car was moving why was it not in gear in the first place? :nono: One should never rely on just the hand brake; you should always put the car in reverse or 1st gear which give the motor the most holding ability :idea: (driving stick shift cars 101). Just like driving an automatic, you put it in park, and of course if you do not the car will not let you take the keys out. This is a slap alongside of the head saying PUT THE CAR IN PARK :bonker: . Now if you pulled up on the Hand brake lever and felt pressure being applied and the e-brake did not hold I would check the adjustment of the e-brake cable, and the caliper adjustment. Did you try to release and pull up on the e-brake lever more than once? :idea: The cables in these cars are not water and dust tight, so some times the cable can get stuck in the cable housing. Did you just drive through or wash the car; wet brake pads do not grip until the water is squeezed out between the pads and rotor. Just some more food for thought :kabong:

vancouver-gts

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Colo08 , you must have misunderstood what he meant rolling the car to the curb;). I'm sure he turned the wheel towards the curb on a hill because he didn't trust his e-brake and transmission to hold the car indefinitely.
Buses use a chock when parking on a downgrade as a precaution .The e-brake handle slips [ it feels like the cable disconnect and reconnect when reapplied ] with mine on pull up occasionally when the engine is shut off and the car is in gear in my garage. Obviously the Viper has a different mechanism than most cars , it isn't a slack issue .Could be like a one way clasp/clutch catching the cable that slips ? Once the lever reapplied it goes back to the right position and applies the brake firmly.I'm sure someone addressed this scenario here already, so lets hear it before I get my palms greasy on this one :eater:

Last edited:

ViperGeorge

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I often don't even use my e-brake. Compression on 10 cylinders when car is in gear is more than adequate to hold the car. In fact you never set the e-brake when you come off the track since this can cause hard spots on the rotors. If car was in reverse when nose of car is pointing down the hill or in 1st when nose of car is pointing up the hill the car should not roll. :dunno:

ViperCollector

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Mine does that occasionally, usually when pulling up on the e-brake too quickly. Didn't take notice if the car was in gear or not. Now I just get in the habit of pulling up slower, and then one last pull to get that last click.

vermontv23

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have a 2005 srt-10 and my E brake doesn't work properly but i never had to use it either... i really need a fix though, No one posted a solution to the problem..
If we had to tighten the cable.. how can we do that or does a Viper tech have to do it for us?

what i am experiencing is faded brakes or no brakes at all. even if the hand brake is pulled all the way .

JohnnyViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i wondering you have any worn parts in your ebrake assembly that should be replaced, thats for the post, I will be inspecting my ebrake just to be safe, off with the center console :drive:

Lawrenzo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
One day I had my 2002 GTS slip it's parking brake and roll off my driveway into the street:omg: Once it hit totally level ground it stopped- sideways in the middle of the street:omg:

My neighbor came over to complain about my "parking" job otherwise I wouldn't have known for hours :crazy2:. The car had less than 10,000 miles on it at the time.

vermontv23

Viper Owner
Reaction score
thats crazy!!! i think Vipers do have problems with E-Brakes then,,,, and i thought i was the only one

GTS Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The OE parking brake on a Viper works great compared to the stoptech set up. The stoptech setup is only good for complying with state regs that say you must have one. Other than that it holds fine on a completely level surface when the winds are calm. GTS Bruce

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The OE parking brake on a Viper works great compared to the stoptech set up. The stoptech setup is only good for complying with state regs that say you must have one. Other than that it holds fine on a completely level surface when the winds are calm. GTS Bruce

Stoptech is in the process of redesigning theirs though. Hopefully, they are successful.

I wonder what makes the Gen III OEM better ? Pad size ? I'm guessing that the aftermarket is a compromise in order to get something that weighs significantly less than OEM, isn't big and obtrusive looking for the bling-buyers, and is at a sellable cost. (Or, maybe they just didn't realize the deficiencies when they first designed theirs.)

vancouver-gts

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Guys . I'm positive the problem is at the console not with the pad assembly at the rotor.My car did the same with the combination OEM unit as it did once with the DBB kit. My e-brake holds firmly even at the steepest decline I've tested, without putting the car in gear.The handbrake assembly must have a one way clutch mechanism sliding on the cable .The OEM brembo has the screw inside the rear brake caliper that takes up slack in the cable.The DBB e-brake and the Stoptech need a fine setup at installation to have a good grip.The problem is too obvious with so many people having the same problem ,especially with low milages and unworn brake pads.
I'm still storing my car ,otherwise would have tackled this issue already.:rolleyes:
I'm a relatively new Viper owner [ one year] and can't believe with all the old timers here noone encountered this problem before :eater:.Where's Dave666 ? :) I've been wrenching on my cars, boats, motorcycles since the mid 60's and always find issues with any makes.

Last edited:

vermontv23

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I am a young owner and i am learning from you all :D As for fixing the problem.. it sounds too mechanical for me. I would rather bring the car to a mechanic with your comment above and have him/her fix it rather than me playing and poking around. Unless if there are pictures or a video explaining how to do it step by step then i would feel more comfortable fixing this issue by my self.
Vancouver-GTS thank you for taking the time to explain. When you explain it it sounds like fixing a bicycle but when you go and look at the setup in the vehicle... it looks like an F16 fighter

vancouver-gts

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I was replacing the door speakers in my GTS yesterday,and looked at the e-brake handle mechanism briefly by pulling up the leather boot. It seems that the pivoting part is a two piece, and by pulling on the lever slowly,there's a slight delay between the two pieces.The piece that the brake cable attached to may be slipping on the handbrake lever pivot shaft.The console would have to be removed to take a proper look to see if the two pieces have a clutch mechanism or they should be a solid piece together.It looks like an easy fix, and I'll tackle it one day when energetic enough;).It's a safety issue so I should do it soon:smirk:

vancouver-gts

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The spot welds in the picture are intact, can't see the outside of the cable holding aluminum apparatus though.It could be that the welded steel piece is swedged on the aluminum piece.

You must be registered for see images

Roy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have this sometimes, release and pull again, it always works. read something about it in the past after using the searchfunction and I found out it wasn't a biggie, so I didn't fix it...Don't recall why it does this

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960