Easy Mods

sbkim

Enthusiast
Reaction score
hello. Getting ready to pick up my 02 GTS tomorrow and of course I am planning advance for mods. Other than smooth tubes and K&N drop filters, it looks like exhaust seems like the logical choice. Other than Corsa,B&M, and Borla what are my other choices? Someone mentioned about some $100 muffler delete option.

Thank you

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score
yup, just head to any muffler shop or a shop you trust and cut out the rear mufflers and replace with straight pipes. Makes for a slightly better sound and minimal HP gains I think have been shown on the dyno. High flow cats are another option if you don't want to delete them all together. Gears are a nice seat of the pants feel too.

Gerald

ViperJoe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Other than Corsa,B&M, and Borla what are my other choices?

That's B&B for the exhaust, B&M makes the short shift shifter.

My advice is to get to a Viper Days event or local VCA Club gathering to hear all the choices for yourself. Exhaust sound is sooooooo subjective and such a "personal" thing.
People feel so very strongly about "their" system.
Have yet to hear: "my ____________ (insert your favorite $1000 or more system here)really *****! Wish I had gone with _______________ (insert the one he didn't get)"

Lots have tried homemade systems with good results.
I was all set to go the B&B route (after hearing several of the available options), then along came a thread that spoke of inexpensive 16" and 23" mufflers and a muffler delete (with and without cats etc). Cost was like around $300 and change. Now I have got to hear this set up before I take the B&B plunge to make sure which one I want.

And one more thing in case your not prepared, NO system will make the Viper's V10 sound like a V8. Period. There are setups that give a nice DEEP sound and some that are kind of raspy. X-pipes help to alleviate SOME of the "funny" UPS truck sound and kind of "blend" the odd firing sound at the end of the pipe.

Good luck!

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You didn't say if it was a new one.
If it is new, I'd wait a few months before modding it at all.
If you were unlucky enough to have serious lemon problems you wouldn't want to cloud the issue.
Take your time.

Viperzilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Other than Corsa,B&M, and Borla what are my other choices?
There's also Snake-Oyl. You can go to their website. They have both cat-back, or headers/exhaust (a.k.a.- full exhaust). They're is also Belanger. I recommend you go to a VCA/Viper event and ask people what kind of exhaust they have. Different exhaust sounds best to different people. IMO-
Snake-Oyl's cat-back is more muscle carish. It has the sound a stock Viper should come with. Great sound, volume, idle, rumble, burble. I have spent a lot of time with this system, as it was on the Viper I was most familiar with.
Corsa's 3" has the same sound, is a little louder than S-Oyl's, not as much burble. I've ridden in an '01 GTS with this system.
Belanger is louder than Corsa's. I've only heard a Viper with Belandger full exhaust on a dyno. You could hear the exhaust all the way through the rev range (you can't with S-O, Corsa, Borla).
B&B's is more of a NASCAR idle, louder than Belanger. I heard this system at idle at Viper Days at VA Internat'l Raceway.
For my terms and ears, Snake-Oyl and Corsa are mild sounding, and Belanger and B&B are wild sounding. You just have to determine which one you want. These systems that I discussed are for Gen II Vipers only.

SapphireGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have the corsa. Pretty much because it looks cool. Sounds good well. Bellanger headers, random cats.

If you are looking to do some more stuff by yourself, do Springs. I did springs this weekend.

REALLY EASY. When you are done you really feel like you did something HUGE. Eventhough you didnt really.

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
I've got these nice trim rings for the gauges...the chrome really catches the light.. :smirk:

OP
OP
S

sbkim

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great info! You guys are awesome. Per Joe117's advice, I will see how this car does over the next several months - unfortunately I will be in Germany most of that time :( Fortunately, there is Oktoberfest :)

Given the exorbitant prices of these systems - and I thought the one's for the C5 were bad - I will probably go with dwitt's advice and do smooth tube, k&n, and muffler delete. And if I get really daring I will do high flow cats and springs. When does this mod thing ever end :laugh: ...

OP
OP
S

sbkim

Enthusiast
Reaction score
well, I guess I am already done :(

btw, if anyone has used performance parts for sale, please let me know. I am looking for a nice borla, corsa, or B&B system

Thanks!

Viperzilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Belanger Headers, RT High Flow Cats and Belanger Cat Back. The BEST sounding system available! IMO
Stiffler's car is the one that I heard on the dyno that I mentioned earlier. He does have room to brag. :D That system was loud and sounded sweet.

commoditybroker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am awaiting the same mods also.

my '00 has smooth tubes, KNN's, and the Detert short(er) throw shaft....

Headers/cats/cat back is next :)

Zach

RON98GTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Ive got the B&B with NO cats and it is terribly loud and obnoxious. It shoots some killer flames out when i let off. If you dont mind upsetting everyone around you, its a killer set up!! under 1500 bucks.