EBC Greens mystery... and one brake question. Pics Inside.

Newport Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
These are EBC Greens on a 1995. (The year matters?)

Been on about two years....No racing, just a daily driver.

Bedded per EBC green instructions.

Eradispeed rotors were brand new. Not sure of the miles.

Why do the fronts have way less dust, then the rear? :confused:

Front:

416IMG_1964-med.JPG

Rear:

416IMG_1965-med.JPG

Next question. Are these pads getting too thin?

Front:

416IMG_1982-med.JPG

Rear:

416IMG_1986-med.JPG

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looks like you have plenty of pad thickness remaining.

The dust doesn't look so much like brake dust as it does rust dust. Perhaps from holes inside of the drilled holes in the rotors?

Randy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I agree with Chuck - you have plenty of pad left, and brake dust is normally grey/black, not red, at least in my experience.

As far as why, I'll take a guess: If the car isn't driven very often, the rotors will likely have a layer of rust on them every time you start out, which would end up on the wheels. Why its worse on the rear might be because the fronts get more heat (from braking as well as from the engine when stopped), so they may stay a slight bit drier and thus rust a bit less? Just a guess.

IL96RT10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I don't think you could have more brake pad than you have they are definetly not thin, and it is probably just rust dust

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you have that much pad after two years it is rust dust for sure! Drive the car, man!

EBC Greens last for 30k+ miles of regular driving from my experience.

Gene

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So you guys like EBC Grennstuff pads?

I had them on my 03 Cobra and I absolutely hated them.....lots of dust and I didn't notice any increase in stopping over stock pads. My buddy also had them on his Mach 1 and took them off after about two weeks. He hated them as well.

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Less dust and less squeal trade for less breaking.

Not worth the trade off for me, but a lot of folks seem to find it worthwhile.

Anaconda

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd rather have NASTY looking wheels and stop an...inch....sooner.

I have Brakeman 3 pads, by the way.

Matt M PA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I put the greens on years ago, and I did not notice less braking.

I still have some squeeling, while not quite as bad as stock..and less dust. I did notice that I get more dust on the rears than the fronts. Maybe the compounds are slightly different front to rear?

(Since I also have an '03 Cobra, I should say that I saw no reason to switch the factory pads..and the dust is nothing like the dust I was getting on the Viper wheels...and I drive the Cobra daily.)

When I polish the car, I always Zaino the wheels too..helps keep the dust from sticking.

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Take a sample of the rear dust, put it in a zip lock bag. Hold a magnet up to it, if it reacts, its definitely ferrous. I don't think EBC greens have any ferrous component, so that would point to the rotors.

CSI Irvine

Gene

Enthusiast
Reaction score
(Since I also have an '03 Cobra, I should say that I saw no reason to switch the factory pads..and the dust is nothing like the dust I was getting on the Viper wheels...and I drive the Cobra daily.)
How is the stall issue working out? I saw your post on SVTperformance the other day. I'm vipergts281 on there.

When I first needed new pads for my Cobra, I went with slotted rotors and Hawk ceramic pads. Brake dust was very low and they stopped great. I'm back using stock Brembo rotors with Hawk ceramic pads and I don't like the combo at all. The slotted rotors really did help to keep the dust levels down. And my Bremobo rotors are rusting in the center section even though they have a coating on them.

Anywho, what year is your Viper? Is it a 00 Steel Grey? I'm looking to maybe pick up a 00 Steel Grey ACR with stripes. My 03 Cobra is silver, I may hold onto it, but I doubt it. We should meet sometime when I do get my Viper, you are not too far from me. Seems to be alot of Vipers owners within 90 minutes of the Philly area.

Randy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Less dust and less squeal trade for less breaking.
Not worth the trade off for me, but a lot of folks seem to find it worthwhile.
I would agree, if that was my experience. I personally experience much better braking performance in both my '95 and my '00, as well as less dust, no squealing (in the '95, the '00 gets some noise I've yet to eradicate), and half the price of stock pads. Win/win/even/win for me - no downside.

Reaction score
I have almost the same problem....the thing is...I think the BLACK wheels make the dust more visible...and give it a more rust-like appearance. And, I do end up with MORE dust in back....but I do have the Dilusi deflectors in front (though TVC will attest to the fact that I probably never drive fast enough, from garage to garage, to let them work). :)

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd rather have NASTY looking wheels and stop an...inch....sooner.

I have Brakeman 3 pads, by the way.

And the Brakeman 3 pads likely will be worse than EBC Greens since they are race pads and need to build up heat to perform at their superior levels.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang