EBC Greenstuff

Matt M PA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I put green pads on my car too, and mine still squeel. My 2000 now has 3600 miles on it. I switched to the EBC greens when my 2000 GTS had 2000 miles.

Jon-Mike

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I also have about 3000 miles on my EBC Greens and they squeak, especially on light braking. They actually could be worse than my stock pads. I know that a lot of people say they are the best, but I have just found them to be average on the squeaking and brake dust issues. I will say, though, that the brakes 'feel' a lot better with the EBCs. Overall, IMO they are probably worth it since they aren't too expensive, but I just haven't found them to be as good as I had heard.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
We have NOT had the "squeal" with EBC's...have heard others say there is "some", but took it to mean LESS than stock pads (which, by the way, list at $414.00 per 4-wheel set at my friendly Dodge dealer!!!). The dust is MARKEDLY less when compared to OEM pads...can REALLY tell the difference on ACR ( I HATE cleaning the BBS wheels), on cars with yellow wheels, as well as the 97 with 5 spoke polished wheels. Wonder about the effect of driving patterns...ours are MOSTLY driven on highways...occasionally "hauling it down" from higher speeds. As ALL Vipers here are driven about the SAME, we can say that "in house", EBC's creat MUCH less dust!!!

If I just finished installing a set of new pads that were associated with an UNEXPECTED squeal, I'd pull the wheels (after spinning them by hand on a lift to listen for drag), and carefully inspect pad installation and rotors...may just pull them out and start over...ESPECIALLY if this happened on a 2001 Viper.

Others can hopefully offer a deeper level of PROFESSIONAL insight.

NascarDave

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I put the greens on my 96 R/T with 13,000, did not turn the rotors, and had no squeek. Much less dust than stock...not dust free. I could definately feel the increased stopping power as well.

Dave

Joel

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Fitted greens front and rear and I don't get any squeal. But I did chamfer all round the edge of the friction material(just a little). I also used copper grease at any point where the backing contacts the caliper. I sell greens through my shop for lots of different cars and recommend the above at every fitment. I havn't had any complaints yet !

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Viper3, as I understand it (and as the EBC info states), it is VERY IMPORTANT to "skuff" your rotors, as one needs to remove residue from OEM pads...EASILY done with a small cordless drill and use of 3M "Brake Rotor Surfacing Discs" ("Drill Mounted Starter Kit")...part number 01410....often stocked by your friendly SnapOn man...especially here in Indy!! The discs are 3" in daimeter, and are 120 grit...9 come in starter kit...as well as "orbital" type backing plate. I generally use 1-1.5 discs per Viper...great result, big time saver (you can leave front rotors in place).

Reaction score
It's imperative to resurface the rotors to remove any residue left behind by the previous pads. EBC strictly states that their pad material is not compatible with others, so resurfacing is necessary if a different brand brake pad has been used on the rotor.
Your retailer should have told you that...

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Pricing seems pretty even (by intent). You might want to read the post by Wing King in the "New Product...." section dated 10/25/01 for a better explanation.

P.S. To Cooray: Brembo pads are original equipment as I recall.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Viper3:
I didn't resurface the rotors because the car only has 1500 miles on it. Is this required on new cars? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

"Resurface" does not necessarily need to mean mechanically turn them, although this is by far the best means.

We have had 100% satisfction, less 1 report, so long as you manually scuff the rotors well with emery cloth, medium sandpaper, or coarse steel wool (last choice)

The binder residue is a microscopic layer that remains virtually unseen on the "used" rotor, even of low miles-new-like. THis Carbon-Metal binder is NOT compatible with the Kevlar-Aramis binder of EBC. (Nor is EBC binder cross-compatible should you restore Metallics for track days.)

As the package indicates, you MUST remove the residue or the pads will glaze with it, bed improperly.....and squeek. And, diminished braking is a result of the glaze and the improper bedding.

CLEAN THOSE USED ROTORS !! (New OE rotors, $109 from PartsRack........like-new take-offs, $65- $75 !! )

gozer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Had front and rear Greens installed on my 2001 about a week and a half ago. Much less dust and the squeal is reduced but not eliminated. The noise is now when I start to slow normally but ends when I apply the brakes more forcefully.

As far as the feel, it is definately different. The first day or two, I felt that I had to put more force on the brakes to get the car to stop. The brakes feel alot like the stock cars at DriveTech (stock car racing school). I'm used to it now and they feel ok but still not as good as stock pads.

The main reason I bought the Greens was to eliminate the squeal, no such luck!

Ken

SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So the brakes still squeal with EBC green pads...has anyone tried different pads that do not squeal?

Reaction score
When installing the Greens, did you guys make sure to resurface the rotors? That's the only caveat when installing EBC pads. Other than that, they shouldn't squeek.
We've never had squeeking problems with the Greens.

Wing King

Enthusiast
Reaction score
WHOA!!!! Let's get this thing nipped in the BUD! I just returned from SEMA tonight, and thankfully logged on to see what was going on before hitting the sack!

Properly installed and bedded, EBC Greenstuff brake pads do NOT squeak at ALL, nor do they give off more than a small amount of dust. All of the various symptoms raised in some of the prior posts in this thread (less braking feel, dust, noise), are 100% positive evidence that these pads are just simply not bedded yet. For whatever the contributing factor is regarding the rotor preparation or circumstances in each of your individual cases, I promise you (well, EBC actually does) that your noise WILL eventually go away when the pads are properly seated; the dust will be minimal, and your braking feel will be even better than stock.

Please consider several "facts". 1. A good percentage of the Viper nation is already happily running these pads. 2. Beyond even other Viper owner's words of praise....... there are literally MILLIONS of these same Kevlar pads on ALL other brand cars around the world, performing exactly as specified. 3. Not too long ago, EBC gave everyone even MORE value for their dollar by upgrading the durability of the Green pad material, to vastly increase their life. That also means that proper installation due to incompatability of prior metallic resins is even MORE critical. The EXTRA durability also means that it may take EXTRA miles to compensate for less than perfect circumstance installation, simply because they don't "wear in" as fast. In less than optimal installation conditions, we have seen it take as many as 1,000 miles of heavy street use to see 100% optimal performance conditions on some of the new heavy duty Kevlar truck and SUV front pads.

PLEASE, PLEASE give the pads time to correct these issues on their own. It may take a while...... but you will end up MORE than happy in the long run. EBC is NOT some little "boutique" brake company...... they are a HUGE British conglomerate. The pads are made in gigantic batches, fed through continuously sampled raw materials, and constantly run tested on brake dynos for quality. It's simply NOT possible to have just "a bad set of pads". They WILL perform for you. Give them a chance. Hope this clears the air and any mis-understandings. Best regards,

Wing King
GreatBrakes.com
EBC USA Distributor

LTHL VPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I thought I'd chime in as well. Judging from the responses, it sounds some of you experiencing brake squeal did not properly prep the rotor prior to installing the pads. The break-in procedure is critical as well, and not typical for most other pads. As an EBC dealer, we have installed several sets of the EBC GREENSTUFF pads on Vipers for the last few months. We carefully follow directions, 'turning' each rotor and recommending proper break-in procedures to our customers. To date, none of the Vipers have experienced squeal and brake dust is almost obsolete. For the street, you can beat this stuff! These pads are priced very competitively too! We stock all EBC pad compounds for Vipers.
-Wayne (LTHL VPR)

Wing King

Enthusiast
Reaction score
PRICES:

Sean's response to the questions about prices is only partially correct. Neither GreatBrakes.com (as the exclusive USA distributor for Viper pads), NOR any of the EBC dealers across the country, set our own prices. EBC, as the manufacturer, governs and enforces the entire pricing structure from top to bottom, as is common among many manufacturers in various industries. If you want to play in their ballpark, you have to follow their rules. The good news here is that their prices are ALREADY so LOW in competition with either Dodge factory pads, or other aftermarket competitors, that we have never had even ONE complaint about the price being either "too high", or "non-competitive". Frankly, we've had many happy owners tell us that it's worth several times MORE than these prices just to get rid of the noise and dust associated with stock Viper brakes.

EBC publishes their prices without either shipping costs or installation included. The current USA market prices for Vipers are listed below:

Fronts (1992-2002):
Green $69
Red $99
Yellow (Race) $109
Blue (Race) $119

Rears (1992-2000):
Green $79
Red $99
Yellow $119
Blue (not produced)

Rears (2001-2002)
Green $69

If you see dealers advertising other prices than this, either higher OR lower, please let us know and we will try to correct that. The same holds true about customer service from your EBC dealer. If you're not happy, let us know. We and/or EBC are going to resolve any problems to your satisfaction. EBC is a privately owned British company, and its owner and the management staff here in the USA are wonderful and friendly people to work with. They have a LONG history throughout Europe and the rest of the world with great respect for their products. You will never be disappointed in the long run that you chose EBC for your Viper, or any other vehicle. Watch for a BIG announcement VERY soon in the Suppliers Forum about new goodies for the Viper.

Wing King
GreatBrakes.com

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
And....now GETTING BACK to the ORIGINAL issue of this thread...Rick and I just installed a full set of EBC Greenstuff pads to his 98 GTS...NO squeal on initial 1 mile test drive, NO squeal after another 5 mile test drive (and retorqueing of lug nuts), and NO squeal on subsequent 50 mile drive to Rick's house. He says they feel great so far. Club member Kurt reports NO squeal with the new EBC Greenstuff pads we installed together last week with about 100 miles on car since the new pads installed. All of this is consistant with the other 5 sets installed at our house...and in EACH case, MUCH attention was given to "skuffing" the rotors as recommended. Admittedly, all of these rotors have been in excellent shape with very little wear on OEM pads. (a couple of which had 8000 miles...mostly highway, no track time). Rotor prep seems to be very important.

Eddie N

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i get a little squeek when applying light pressure to the brakes at about 35 mph, and i did scuff my rotors.. not enough i suppose..

also, it is me, or do the ebc greenstuffs need to be warmed up for a few miles before they acheive any decent stopping power?

also, lightly applying the brakes at about 90 mph eminates an audible hum in the cockpit...this never happened before.. anyone else experience this?

all in all, my car stops great compared to oem pads..

- eddie -

ps.. i own a 3000gt

Sean Roe

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Steve340:
Where are you guys finding the best price on your EBC pads?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi Steve,
As Steve-Indy mentioned; "Pricing seems pretty even (by intent)", the prices are set by the exclusive US distributor for the Viper pad part #'s in green and nobody else is "supposed to be" allowed to buy them directly from the manufacturer. So, the good news for everyone in the Viper community is that you don't have to worry about getting lower prices or looking around for the best price. There's no competition, so, there's just one price for the pads.

Joel

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I noticed a firmer pedal with less travel, could this be due to the deletion of the anti squeal shims which are present on the OE pads?

Ernie J

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Originally posted by Wing King:
PRICES:

If you see dealers advertising other prices than this, either higher OR lower, please let us know and we will try to correct that.

[/QUOTE

Kingman, are you for real? We Viper owners can't wait to call
you when we find a better price so that you can force the
perpetrator to raise his prices!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I'm sure you didn't shop for the best price on your Viper, big
screen TV,computer,hi-fi, etc.
THIS IS AMERICA. ITS CALLED FREE ENTERPRISE.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ctrengine