Edelbrock Headers?

Bolt

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Are Edelbrock ceramic coated headers any good for the 2nd gen? Or am I wasting my money? What is your oppinion? I read the prevous forums. I know Belanger's are better.

Bolt

newredrt10

Former VCA National President
Administrator
Reaction score
Power band is to high for a viper. I had a set and changed them to bel.

Reaction score
Had them on a 97GTS and they worked well. From memory added most(15-25) of the hp in the mid RPM range. At red line HP gain was 10-12 hp. For open track use they work fine as the mid range bump is more useful.

ViperJoe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I believe the majority of GEN 1/II owners have Belanger or B&B.

Belanger are aluminum and B&B stainless. They say that they each sound different due to the metal each is made out of.

KepRght

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i just replaced the stock shorty headers on my 01 with belenger long tubes. the difference is very noticable it smooths out the torque range i think if you graphed it you would see the torque come on sooner and stay on longer. +25-50 by seat of the pants.

the sound is amazing. did cat delete with it & had the borla cat back; sound is pretty agressive. i love it; very strong.

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I believe the majority of GEN 1/II owners have Belanger or B&B.

Belanger are aluminum and B&B stainless. They say that they each sound different due to the metal each is made out of.

I'm pretty sure Belangers are not aluminum ;)
Research will show B&B or H.M.S headers make more power at higher levels.

The "pickle" is no good :)

ViperJoe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tony, you are correct, my mistake.
They are mild steel, versus ss of the others. I was told years ago that that difference has some affect on the sound of the Belangers.

FE 065

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok Tony, give us the pickle facts.. There's been 1 rumor that the pickle costs HP, but other than that not much negative feedback.

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My customer rick, Yelloh, car has belangers, RT Cats, and our exhaust on it. This car sounds really wild and is a rocket. It is really smooth thruout the torque and rpm curve.

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok Tony, give us the pickle facts.. There's been 1 rumor that the pickle costs HP, but other than that not much negative feedback.

There have been several posts debating the two. The one that I remember most is NORM's n/a car and a back to back dyno...that dyno and info is on the "other" board. Also, I think David Weaver might have done a back to back on a supercharged car.
On a stockish car you probably couldn't tell any difference, but a higher powered car or a power adder car it would show up (from what I have seen and heard, no personal experience)
I have H.M.S. headers, they came with the car. Would I change if I already had Belangers ? No, but I might consider the pickle delete.
I will try to find the link to NORM's post.

40 rwhp difference, tube size is 1.75" on both headers

Because links from there won't work here :rolleyes: I bumped the thread up. The title is:
H.M.S. HEADERS GAIN 40 HP OVER BALLENGER HEADERS ON LPE MOTOR ONLY

FE 065

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just took a look. Kind of apples and oranges with 2 different brands of headers-and 2 different designs w/ one a 5 into 1, and other a Tri-Y. Can't really point at the pickle alone as costing 40hp when there are potentially so many other differences between the two headers.

One poster with more typical HP there mentioned he'd gained some HP with the Belangers, but on Norm's n/a monster at least,it showed an interesting header to header comparison result.

Thanks for digging that up :cool:

After all these years, you'd think someone could have put together a header shootout on an engine dyno.

jcaspar1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Having looked at headers for awhile, I am seriously considering the Edelbrocks. They are CARB legal, ceramic coated, have flex connectors and have custom heat shields. Other than the ceramic coating, I don't think any other header has those features.

X-Metal

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I need to check again, but i believe the Edel's are only like 1.5" primarys. very small. in all honesty you wont see much of a gain from the edlebrocks, the bellenagers or B&B's are MUCH better, with the B&B's taking top honors in power output.

SNKBYT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Edelbrock Headers produce some of the highest torque numbers,with only a few less HP at redline. The Edelbrock headers look and fit nice as well. I have them on my 97GTS. I am running a ROE S/C 10lb pulley. RWHP 700& 750tq. Stock heads and cam.

ROGUE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Shameless plug here, but I have a set of SVS headers for sale in the classifieds. 1 5/8" primaries with a burns 5 into 1 collector and 3" outlet, includes cats.

00prowler

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Edelbrock Headers produce some of the highest torque numbers,with only a few less HP at redline. The Edelbrock headers look and fit nice as well. I have them on my 97GTS. I am running a ROE S/C 10lb pulley. RWHP 700& 750tq. Stock heads and cam.
What other mods do you have to get 700RWHP from your set up...I have a Roe and **** with 10LB and only making 620RWHP...Thanks...AL

PhoenixGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Having looked at headers for awhile, I am seriously considering the Edelbrocks. They are CARB legal, ceramic coated, have flex connectors and have custom heat shields. Other than the ceramic coating, I don't think any other header has those features.
Note that the curved flex section is not supported by a hanger and it is really heavy. I just get the feeling it HAS to sag but have no proof. Don't forget the heat shields costs extra, and probably could be use with other brands. My car came with Edelbrocks and the mid flanges had warped horribly and blew out the gaskets. Since I know the Belangers I went with them from head to tip, but I cannot say the car is any faster - just nicer - and sounds better for sure if you care about that at all.

Kevin D

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would love to know anybody else's feedback on the edelbrock headers* As Jcasbar1 mentioned they are also ceramic coated, have the flex pipe, CARB legal, with heat sheilds...and yes, they are a full 1 3/4inch primary design with 5-in-1 to 3inch outlet* But what many fail to note is that they are STAINLESS STEEL in addition to being ceramic coated* (very high quality)...as far as HP is concerned there's NO data out there to discredit the edelbrocks from making as much HP as any other of the mainstream production headers out there...on F/I'ed vehicles it almost seems as if they make more than most actually.

..anyone with real experience with the edelbrock's please chime in, your feedback will be very much appreciated...I think I'm ordering a set as well...

grnsnake

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I installed Edelbrock headers on my 95 2 years ago. The car put down 413rwhp/479rwtq with the headers, 3" Roe pipe, no cats, and smooth tubes/filters (no base numbers available). After 5000 miles the headers look very close to new condition.

Kevin D

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks grnsnake, I would say those are healthy numbers for a gen 1 (before the blower) with only intake, exhaust, headers. I guess they pretty much did their job on your car, lol. I'm not surprised to hear they looked almost new after 5000 miles becuase I saw them up close for the first time recently and the quality of these headers looked second to none...(they made of a strong 17 guage 409 stainless steel, AND cermamic coat interior) I'm gonna go with these headers and post my before and after dyno results.

Anyone else with data on the edelbrocks, please chime in :)

MacManInfi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just installed a set last month on my 97 GTS. Installation was easy, fitment was good. Quality seems great. Welds look perfect, coating looks great. The flex section is smooth on the inside (I thought it would be ribbed and was happy to see that it's actually smooth). Comes with gaskets and ARP Stainless bolts (nice!) and detailed, awesome instructions.

Huge difference in power. Sounds is great, with a little more "race car" sound in it now, though the change is pretty subtle. It's a little bit louder across the board.

It's worth noting that the factory heat shielding will work on the Edelbrocks. I wanted to keep the stock look because I'm in SoCal, need it sniffed, and even though the Edelbrocks have a Carb number, I didn't want any more trouble than necessary.

Something else to consider, I don't know if it's an issue on the other headers or not, but I had to extend the O2 sensor to get it to reach to the drivers side.

I couldn't be happier with them actually. I have no complaints. Had it dynoed, but didn't have "before" runs. My car has smooth tubes, K&N's, the Edelbrock Headers, Random Tech hi-flow cats and cat-back. That's it. 439.9 hp and 484.4 ft-lbs of torque at the wheels.

MacManInfi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My car came with Edelbrocks and the mid flanges had warped horribly and blew out the gaskets.

Interesting. I noticed in the installation instructions that Edelbrock really, really stresses that you must tighten those bolts evenly. Perhaps the warping is the result of someone not reading the instructions. :)

Kevin D

Enthusiast
Reaction score
MacManInfi,

Thanks for the great information, I'll be sure to evenly tighten my bolts and its great to hear the stock heat shields will work with them. I want to minimize the underhood heat as much as possibly even thou I've never had a problem with heat thus far. (can never hurt to have cooler underhood temps)

I HAVE done a before...so I will post my results after the install. I will be use 3-inch high flow cats as well (Roe's). I will, however, also be bolting in a set of 1.7 RR's with them so that'll be the only variable. But from what i hear/understand the RR's will only give around ~ 10rwhp...so the I'd still get a great idea of what gains are from the headers/cats... :)

01GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm buying a set of Edelbrock's for my 2001 as well. Anyone have experience with Edelbrock's and a 2000+? Any check engine light problems? Going to go with Edelbrock headers, random tech cats and random tech catback.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960