Egged - Clearcoat Damage

Rich01RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My car was egged the other night and sustained what looks like spiderweb cracks in the clearcoat. Any recommendations on how or if this can be compounded out, what to use, etc...

Thanks -

Rich

HP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Pick up some 3M polishing compound or another similar product labeled
as polishing(rubbing compound). Just follow the directions, apply equal
pressure and keep and eye on your progress in a good light.

VivaceViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ewwww...First I want to extend my sympathy to you, makes me cringe just the thought of that happening to me. I had a friends Viper get egged last summer while we were on the lake. The eggs were fried/baked by the time we got back the following day. He had the same problem with the cracking clear coat. He used Lane's Professional Super Cut and his paint job actually looked better afterwards than it did before he was egged. I am not sure where you can get it, or if it is even sold in stores. A friend of his who restores cars for a living let him use it. If you are unable to get you hands on some of that, then try SR-97(as seen on TV product). That is what I used on my Mercedes when someone scratched up the side of it, not sure if done by a key or not. The scratches were not very deep, but noticeable. Anyway, it worked great. Good luck, and I you get the cracks out

Firewater

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here's what you do:

Find the people that egged your car, beat the piss out of them, and make them (or their mommies and daddies) buy you a new paint job.

Sorry to hear about your car >:(

dansauto

Enthusiast
Reaction score
no, don't repaint it!! It will come out as per above messages just use a cutting compound (I prefer strata ultra cut) then hand glaze and it will look fine. You should use a slow buffer and foam or wool pad with the cutting compound as this is actually removing materail (be carfull or you may "burn the paint" then you will need a new paint job!)

Snake Bitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I suspect these are actually scratches that from the egg breaking, that look like "spider webbing"...Our clearcoat is VERY SOFT...Start with a mild abrasive, then increment up until you see results...

Start with:

3M Perfect It II Polishing Glaze
3M Perfect It II Fine Cut Rubbing Compound
3M Perfect It II Medium Cut Rubbing Compound

Whichever starts working, (fine cut will probably work) you'll need to then go to the finest for polishing out any haze, and to get a high polish...The Polishing Glaze is available for Light Colored cars or for Dark Colored Cars...

Use a good Random Orbital buffer, like the 6" Porter Cable (you can stand on this buffer and it won't burn your finish)...and only use FOAM pads...no wool.

Matt M PA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have had very good fortune with Blue Coral Scratch Remover. It comes in a blue tube. Works very well, but may take several applications as it is gentle. I have used it to get out wet sanding scratches...even slight marks on guitar finishes.

Snake Bitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for all the advice!
Is an Orbital buffer a must - or can I use good old elbow grease?

Well, you certainly can give that a whirl...the scratches are only going to be removed by the combination of abrasives and heat...it's gonna take quite a bit of elbow grease...but it's worth a try if the damage is not too bad...if you can "feel" it...most likely you'd be better off wetsanding it...then polishing with a buffer...Might be a good idea to have it looked at by a professional that you trust...

But if you decide to go with the Random Orbital...The 6" Porter Cable is the only one worth buying...www.topoftheline.com has the buffer and all the accessories you need...and expedited shipping if you like!

Snake Bitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I realize you get what you pay for and that Porter orbital looks very good.

Just wondering if anyone has used a different polisher they are happy with for less than $150?

How about the Wen 4" polisher here: for $50?

I have the <font color="blue">WEN 4" Cordless Polisher </font>...strictly for applying waxes and glazes, with the White Foam Finishing pads...Lay wax over the whole car inside of 10 minutes evenly...and a couple of spare batteries...But the cordless only turns @ 2900 rpms, not fast enough for removing scratches really...the 4" WEN you refer to is 4000 rpm's, may be fast enough, but you can't beat the Porter Cable @ 6000 rpms (adjustable from 2000 - 6000 rpms!) for removing clear coat scratches quickly and effectively...and get the VELCRO BACK PLATE for easy pad changes...a must for sure...ONLY USE FOAM PADS!!!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang